• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

You can be an Operator even with just a 1903

tac-40

Moderator, Armed Curmudgeon
Staff member
FALaholic #
You can keep your bent in the middle rifle. You just ain't an operator unless you have hi-cap mags. If you got 'em, then you are an operator.

EinheitElf

FALaholic #
You want a nasty recoil, try the M95 Straight pull Steyr in 8x56r. I had one,took to range fired 10 shots and my shoulder felt TIGHT and painful.Next day my shoulder and upper arm was a rainbow of lack,purple,blue and red...like it burst a blood vessel in my shoulder or arm. THAT took like almost 2 weeks to feel better. The WORST felt recoil in terms of pain I have felt..almost like getting punched in the shoulder with brass knuckles I imagine.

ftierson

FALaholic #
You want a nasty recoil, try the M95 Straight pull Steyr in 8x56r. I had one,took to range fired 10 shots and my shoulder felt TIGHT and painful.Next day my shoulder and upper arm was a rainbow of lack,purple,blue and red...like it burst a blood vessel in my shoulder or arm. THAT took like almost 2 weeks to feel better. The WORST felt recoil in terms of pain I have felt..almost like getting punched in the shoulder with brass knuckles I imagine.
The M95 Carbine is pretty bad...

It's why the Austro-Hungarian Empire lost the war, of course...

It's hard to win when your own troops take one shot and then throw their rifles down on the ground in pain... :)

Forrest

gew98

FALaholic #
away from taxation without representation , Kentuc
My milsurp of choice is still the tried and true No.1 Mk.4 Longbranch in good ol’ 303. It has what I consider the smoothest action of any production bolt gun, bar none, is nicely balanced, has an excellent trigger, is superbly accurate, especially with the vernier sights, and although it still wallops you pretty hard, it’s not much worse than a Garand but tons more livable than an .03. The last time I used an .03 I was apparently doing it all wrong because it fvcked up my shoulder bad enough to where I had cold compresses on it that night.
It’s a real tossup between the Longbranch and a Mauser 98, but to me, the Longbranch wins because the bolt throw is easier for sustained fire.
Running that course with a Longbranch Smelly and my Inglis would be a hoot!
I have done some great shooting with any of those 303 calibered milsurps. My best is an ERA patt'14 in all original trim. It simply outshoots all others I have played with. I had many 03's but never warmed to their delicate target like sights - so much like a krag in that way !. Had an issue with pierced primers twice in 03's and it was not pleasant. One cocking piece went through my shirt sleeve firing from the hip with WW2 dated ball. And the other got my youngest brother right in the cheek...bruised him good and he would never touch an 03 after that. The pierced primers turned the two pierce firing pin/cock knob arrangement into a projectile as they broke when driven back so hard in the bolt. And yepper the recoil was always more noticeable on an 03 , especially when prone. I tried to love the minty smith corona I had when I was a teenager , but I literally had the rear sight fall off when sling on my back while walking to my hunting spot. If it there had not been snow on the ground I never would have found it !.

gew98

FALaholic #
away from taxation without representation , Kentuc
The M95 Carbine is pretty bad...

It's why the Austro-Hungarian Empire lost the war, of course...

It's hard to win when your own troops take one shot and then throw their rifles down on the ground in pain... :)

Forrest
For me the lebel , berthier rifle or carbine and the R35 lebel carbine with surplus Balle N were really the most battering rifles to shoot. They would really rattle your can !.

hagar

FALaholic #
Now if you want to talk recoil, the fairly lightweight 340 Weatherby I have will rattle your brain. I should probably sell it, and never shoot it again, as I may mess up my eyes, had cataract surgery 10 years ago :(

Story

FALaholic #
Now if you want to talk recoil, the fairly lightweight 340 Weatherby I have will rattle your brain. I should probably sell it, and never shoot it again, as I may mess up my eyes, had cataract surgery 10 years ago :(
Good point. See also "a man's gotta know his limitations".

Story

FALaholic #
You can keep your bent in the middle rifle. You just ain't an operator unless you have hi-cap mags. If you got 'em, then you are an operator.

So if this guy can make a firing example from paper, why not 3D Printing?
@JonathanW
drawings in these online patent files pertaining to John Pedersen:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US1355417
https://patents.google.com/patent/US1355418
https://patents.google.com/patent/US1355419
and https://patents.google.com/patent/US1355420.​

Last edited:

brunop

Refresh Key Masher
Staff member
Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
We did have a girl shoot in a WAC or WAV uniform and ran the course in heels. She was also a range officer and moved around all day in the heels which was impressive in and of itself.
She wasn't wearing that uniform at the 5th Group 9/11 Memorial match Run 'n' Gun where I ran into her, but she beat my ass in the run time. She was closing me leading into one of the shooting stages, and I picked up my pace so she didn't pass me. Stupidest pride-based competitive decision I've ever made in a match: I showed up to the shooting stage absolutely gassed and nearly blacking out while she got nearly 8 minutes of 'wait time' while I and the other guy I passed to stay ahead of her finished shooting the stage.

She's a stone-cold shooter, and evidently a pretty savvy competitor. I was retarded that day.

Invictus77

1C16:13
Staff member
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
She's a stone-cold shooter, and evidently a pretty savvy competitor.
Yup, I really enjoyed her presence at the various matches and RnGs when I was around her. She had to (rightfully) change her focus in life, but she could put most of us old timers below her on the score cards at the end of the day. Bad ass young lady.