• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

WTK: Estimated costs for stg58 build

wyFALguy

FALaholic #
List,

In a supreme moment of weakness many, many years ago I sold a perfect matching CGW stg (VCL barrel).

With matching kits gone from circulation for quite some time, I was astounded to recently find a pristine serial number #144k (StLf barrel) kit at the home of a friend of a friend. The fellow wants $850 for it.

Question: I would love to build up the kit, but I have no idea what it would cost these days. I would prefer a GL Imbel receiver...and if I go that way, can someone(s) give me a cost estimate to complete the build?

Is this reasonable?
kit = $850
Imbel = $650
assembly = $250

If so then it is probably not cost effective as i have seen several nice FALs sell in the Marketplace for ~$1200 - 1500.

Thanks for the advice.
Total = $1750??

nwobhm

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Staff member
FALaholic #
Pay no one to do anything. Buy or borrow the tools.

Should find a nice Imbel $500-$600.

An Imbel will likely time correctly to that barrel if it's unmodified. Best luck for me was had with older Imbels. PAC, CIA, Undated stuff.

Kit $850
Rec $600

Tools?

If kit is as new, worth every penny IMHO.....but you may offer him $750-$800 and see where it goes.

wyFALguy

FALaholic #
Thanks for the quick reply, nwo.

She is a gorgeous kit. I forgot to attach the quick photo I took of it.

I have never tried to build anything like this before. Not sure where to get started if I decide to take the plunge.

Still waffling as I am seeing Argentine SAC Latta's going for around $1k now. These are not strictly comparable rifles...but $500 is a significant cost savings these days....

Last edited:

Invictus77

1C16:13
Staff member
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
kit = $850
Imbel = $650
assembly = $250

seen several nice FALs sell in the Marketplace for ~$1200 - 1500.
Weird market for FALs, but yes, your estimates are pretty accurate, with the exception being that the $1,200 StG may not be pristine, matching number kits.

Remember, the BEST FALs however are the ones you put together yourself. Not that they are better than an ARS build, a Sledgehammer build, a new manufactured DSA, or any better or more rare than a factory FN. They are simply BETTER because you put your own together. If anyone does not understand that, then I cannot explain it to them. It is still true.

lockjaw

Contributor
FALaholic #
List,

In a supreme moment of weakness many, many years ago I sold a perfect matching CGW stg (VCL barrel).

With matching kits gone from circulation for quite some time, I was astounded to recently find a pristine serial number #144k (StLf barrel) kit at the home of a friend of a friend. The fellow wants $850 for it.

Question: I would love to build up the kit, but I have no idea what it would cost these days. I would prefer a GL Imbel receiver...and if I go that way, can someone(s) give me a cost estimate to complete the build?

Is this reasonable?
kit = $850
Imbel = $650
assembly = $250

If so then it is probably not cost effective as i have seen several nice FALs sell in the Marketplace for ~$1200 - 1500.

Thanks for the advice.
Total = $1750??
That is about right. Finding a nice STG58 kit for $850 will take a little leg work.

$650-$700 would be about right for a virgin Gear Logo receiver, maybe a little more for an example without date in magwell. If nwobhn knows where he can find the same for $600, you should send him a PM asking for his connection.

I concur with building yourself. It would be worth an hour or two drive to meet up with someone with experience and willing to teach you. If not, there are tons of resources available on this forum and online.

lockjaw

Contributor
FALaholic #
Thanks for the quick reply, nwo.

She is a gorgeous kit. I forgot to attach the quick photo I took of it.

I have never tried to build anything like this before. Not sure where to get started if I decide to take the plunge.

Still waffling as I am seeing Argentine SAC Latta's going for around $1k now. These are not strictly comparable rifles...but $500 is a significant cost savings these days....

I'd pay $850 for that kit in a heartbeat.

Scout10

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
And remember new unmolested Imbel Logo / PARS receivers are still
available apx $560 . . . from PARS.

Jump on the kit and receiver . . . and save up for the build.
Does the kit need to be refinished? or good to go looks ?

wyFALguy

FALaholic #
Thanks very much for the info!

I did not realize i could find a receiver from such a place. Does anyone have contact info for PARS?

Last edited:

harleyrider

Where’d I set my drink?
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
wyFALguy, that is a very nice kit. It will build into a beautiful, good-shooting rifle. If you do decide to go through with the purchase & build, I will loan you my full set of build tools to complete your rifle, free of charge.

Just let me know and I'll send them along.

HR