• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Winchester select energy cracked stock

aron82

FALaholic #
Picked up a winchester select energy over under from a friend. The stock is cracked at the wrist.
Wondering if it's repairable. Would you trust it if repaired?
Looking for input on it. 20220217_163302.jpg
20220217_163251.jpg

Falcon

Contributor
FALaholic #
I fixed a crack in a Marlin 336 wood butt stock the other day that was much worse than that using Larry Potterfield's method...

Short Version:

Last edited:

aron82

FALaholic #
Just concerned with it being in the wrist, the weakest part of stock. Apparently this is a problem with these stocks. It is a pretty peice of wood. The shotgun is actually made by fn in Belgium.
45744.jpeg
45746.jpeg
45748.jpeg

aron82

FALaholic #
Was hoping he might see this and chime in with his opinion. I did find a stock, but it's in a satin finish not the gloss and it's $400.

hardheaded

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I would epoxy the crack ,let it cure
Take the housing off ,drill epoxy and brass rod right through the wrist
Or send it to yellow hand to work his magic

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Fixing it, pretty straight forward, looks like a clean new break, not oiled soaked, so, saving existing finish should be fine.

Pull the action,,,,,,open up the crack a little, flex it, and fill it full of titebond III wood glue, then clamp that sucker up really tight, leave overnight.

When you clamp it,,,,,tight, use a damp cloth, wipe off the excess glue from the existing finish.

Then the really hard part!:)LOL

Decide where the 3/32nd threaded brass rod will be inserted, drill out the holes, fill with glue, and thread the threaded rod across the cracks.
Let set for 24 hours.

Then "carefully" sand down the brass rod "nubs" to the surface level of the wood, without screwing up the surrounding finish.
I use a dremel, sanding drum, and hold my breath when I do it while keeping the original finish intact,,,DON"T SLIP!:)LOL
It wears out the edge of the sanding drums quickly, just taking down the threaded rod heads, no wood, but they are cheap.

Mix a touch of oil, with proper wood dye color, use a tiny brush, maybe three four hairs, coat the head of the brass rod only, let set for another 24 hours.

Then touch up the area, apply a "touch" of whatever is on the stock now, for top coat, let set for ANOTHER 24 hours, gently wipe down with extra fine steel wood, all done!!!!

Fancy stocks like this, ya got to be real careful to preserve the original finish.

Surplus military stocks, old cracks, got to be stripped down completely, to get the oil off/out of the cracks, or the glue will not bond.

I just mailed home, 2 M1 carbine stocks and an O3 stock, they needed complete strips, never seen so many cracks, used FEET of threaded rod, and lucky for me, the owner was fine with exposed rod heads, so, stocks looked repaired as if done at the arsenal.
They looked great when mailed home.

When you do threaded rod repairs,,,make sure, if possible, to "grab" at least an inch on both sides of the crack, to make damn sure it won't ever open up again.
Hide your entry points where not seen, if possible.
Less cover up work later on.

To answer your question, yes, looks like it can be repair.

Hiding the repairs, is the real "trick" in all of this.

aron82

FALaholic #
Stock is going to Yellowhand as I feel this repair is beyond me.
If I were to do it, would probably take all the gloss off, attempt to do the repair then swap it to a hand rubbed linseed oil finish.
Kinda like the gloss finish on it.

Thanks for all the help.

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
You wont be sorry he did a spectacular job on a wood Aussie set for me,
And
Did you see that Arisaka stock he revived from a pile of splinters ?
Thats my avatar, set a record that still stands to this day, for the most clamps at one time on one stock!:)LOL

aron82

FALaholic #
Yellowhand got to the stock extremely quickly.
Should have it back this weekend if the postal service doesn't bring the fail.
They managed to break off one of the cracked stock ears on the way to Yellowhand.
Some pictures he sent of the repair:
006.JPG
007.JPG
008.JPG
012.JPG
013.JPG

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
This stock caused me some anxiety,,,,fixing it, and not screwing up the existing finish.:)LOL

Hiding the repairs, and matching the existing top coat, was kinda fun,,,not really....šŸ˜‰

Far easier to strip everything down, fix it all, then refinish whole piece.

aron82

FALaholic #
Got the stock back and put back on the action. Was just a bit tight on the action, but flexed the ears just a bit and she went in.

I think I will still keep my eye out for a replacement if I can find one at a decent price in good condition.

Really appreciate your repair Yellowhand, should be functional for a long while.
I agree with you that the design is weak- flawed. Apparently it's a known issue on these.

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Got the stock back and put back on the action. Was just a bit tight on the action, but flexed the ears just a bit and she went in.

I think I will still keep my eye out for a replacement if I can find one at a decent price in good condition.

Really appreciate your repair Yellowhand, should be functional for a long while.
I agree with you that the design is weak- flawed. Apparently it's a known issue on these.

Whew,,,happy to hear it.
The brass rods will flex a little and not allow the cracks to re-break doing it.
It is a beautiful piece of wood, delicate in places concerning the wing design.
You're more than welcome...
Happy to help.