• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Why were the standard AUG magazines downgraded from 42 to 30 rounds?

Andy the Aussie

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
They run well but are that much more ungainly. The 30 was what they were introduced with and as noted the 42 only came around as a result of the attempts to market a LSW version.

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
From a medical viewpoint,;) 42 or even 30 round magazines appear often times to cause one to become a soft sided bullet trap.
Real hard to get low with one stickin out the bottom end of a smoke pole.
Getting low behind your rifle, is a sure fire indicator of a long life.

Colts4me

Banned
FALaholic #
I have 30s and 42s for my Aug. If you measure from top of scope to bottom of magazine the AR 15 and Aug are both 11.25 inches tall with the 30 round mag in it. Both are 13.5 with the 40 and 42 round magazine in it.

I don't know which is the better trade off, 12 more rounds before I have to start moving around changing mags or 2 inches less in height.

Magpul 50 rnd drum is 11.25 inches from top of scope to bottom of drum in gun.

Last edited:

lew

FALaholic #
The 42 round magazines were the standard. The 42 round magazines are very long and make it hard to get into a proper prone position
As noted elsewhere, this is incorrect.

I don't find them too long to shoot from prone with PMag 40s, but terrain cover's pretty easy to come by here. Having ten more rounds on-hand is appreciated.