• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Who has purchased/received/handled (bonus - fired) the New SA P35?

LYCAN

FALaholic #
Im follow impala_guys thread about his concerns on his new P35.

Link here: https://www.falfiles.com/threads/p-35-hi-power-question.477781/#post-5217267

That noted, has anyone else on the board purchased & taken ownership of theirs yet? (im sure many are in line or on standby)

If yes, Im hoping for some trusted *first -hand* personal thoughts/critiques/praise/opinions.

Thanks!

(To Clarify - specifically seeking insight on the New Springfield Armory - Hi-Power / P35)

LYCAN

FALaholic #
Watching this thread with interest, always wanted a hi power but missed out.
EXACTLY, I'm in the same boat.

Had a FEG Clone, but trigger was too gritty. Sold it.

Missed out on the Charles Daly option, long after my youthful ignorance passed on several deals on a "FM" Hi-Power, because I associated the fake name, like other off products of the day. Never realizing til years later FM was manufactured on FN machinery/etc - but was South American Military Contract.

And personally, was never interested in paying Browning or FN Prices (to each - His own)

I want a Solid shooter, with some trace of lineage @ a Reasonable (to the individual) Price.

The SA - P35 seems to fit that bill.

gunner30

FALaholic #
I've been on the lookout for a Springfield Armory one, the guy who does the purchasing at my local shop said none of his distributers have had any, and I've not seen one anywhere here in New Hamshire...... But if I do see one for a good price.......

MAINER

Old Salt
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
thearmorylife.com has a vid and story called “Dissenting the SA-35”.

Granted that the review is published by Springfield, but you may find it of interest.

I have handled, but not fired my son’s SA. I thought it well worth the $740 out the door he paid. He got his at a LGS that had just gotten one in the day before. Unlike his Dad, he seems to have a gift at finding the good stuff.

hemcon9

FALaholic #
I had one in the shop this weekend for fitting a cylinder and slide ambi thumb lock for the left handed owner.
The parts fitted like any other fn p35 I’ve ever done.
Test fired it with no issues, the trigger was very nice for a hi power. The magazine disconnect is not present on it.
And yes, it’s a 9mm so I was very careful not to blow my lung right out of my body whilst test firing.
I think it’s a very well made copy for the price. If you can find one.

LYCAN

FALaholic #
So, what are you looking at price wise for these?

HR
Personally, $700 MAX. Shipping included. No Exceptions.

Already have several leads, just wanted to ensure quest wasn't some total dud.

Im confident in the findings & expressed ... information offered on this particular topic.

And thus, also now resign from it.

hemcon9

FALaholic #
One more thing I noticed. The front sight is dovetailed in. There was salt creeping out of the dovetail joint.
The overall finish was uniform black, with the brownish creep it tells me it’s what some call “Matt Blue”.
That’s bead blasted and hot blues. It was done with the sight fitted in place and the bluing solution not neutralized in the after bath.
That makes the front sight look good because the edges aren’t bashed up installing it after finish. The salt under the sight is going to eat the shit out of it though and the brown crud will be creeping out for a good while.

OldLawman

Contributor
FALaholic #
I bought one when they were still on the individual officer program, which meant it was at dealer price. I have and have owned numerous "real" Brownings in the past 30 years, most done for me by my friends at Novak's.
The original complaints on the function of the SA guns surrounded ejection problems. I had none with my first 50 rounds, but the gun's edges were too sharp for me. The trigger was actually pretty good out of the box. Mine went to Novak's for my favorite gold bead front sight, a basic trigger job with no parts replacement, the installation of a C&S tool steel extractor/spring, a carry bevel and bead blast blue. Works just fine, and looks and feels better.

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
If find on secondary market in a few years will fill a niche in the collection. Honestly have so many Hi Powers of which only shoot two and never carry any won't be something I chase. Let those who want chase and like most releases 25% of owners will not like, grow bored and trade or need fast cash. Then I will add one.

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
The more I think about how certain Springfield copies climb in value (have been absolutely floored by some unsolicited offers on my 5.56 SAR 48s and 7.62 SARs along with HK clone) you guys have me thinking might be worthwhile to buy one, put back NIB then find a used and rape it. All my genuine Hi Powers have strong collector value even though I shoot three of them and two pretty regular.

Wait and find one used (with $699 MSRP once delivery catches up with demand used should hit market at fair prices) then go goofy on it. Do a full melt to make it comfy as a well used bar of soap, tritium sights, trigger work, Cylinder & Slide magwell funnel, ambi safety, etc. Maybe even let Cylinder and Slide go crazy on it. Learned my lesson going crazy on Colt 1911s, spend $1,000 to tweak some and value goes down. Never did that to a Hi Power but never used them as carries or race guns.

Send a SA P-35 along with enough to get it back all tricked out, x that out just ran the numbers and for C&S to supply parts and do the work is $2,500!!! Have a slide tightening kit, hammer & sear jig, can melt, checker and Cerakote myself and their price included zero metal checkering. Drilled front sight and installed tritium vial just this week (drilled few weeks ago but just got to installing tritium this week on Smith M19) so buy $500 or so in parts then let it clutter the bench for a month till all comes together.

Probably let my smith handle the target crown on barrel but otherwise spending over three times gun cost in smith work is a bit high even for me. May be another task or two farmed out but majority of work wanting have the tools and done enough to not be scared. How bad can one mess up a Hi Power, most work want have done before on 1911s and done lots of Hi Power triggers. Grinding, polishing and refinishing is just that. Leave one NIB then slick one up for grins.

LYCAN

FALaholic #
I was going to make a separate post, but after Huey's eloquent commentary, lol, and unique metaphor...

Here are some potential "Off Brand" Alternatives (Ie: Potential GRape Victims), available now, and cheaper then $700 - $1K asking price of a SA-35

NOTED: I just stumbled across some old links I saved & found these 2 among them.

Point being, I cannot vouch for performance/quality/etc.

But again, the Turks ' have a decent* track record. (Tisa) & so does EAA (as an Importer)

*decent, Not Top Shelf - for the hair splitters

$500

https://eaacorp.com/product/girsan-mc-p35/#

$490 - $560

Last edited:

Impala_Guy

FALaholic #
Im follow impala_guys thread about his concerns on his new P35.

Link here: https://www.falfiles.com/threads/p-35-hi-power-question.477781/#post-5217267

That noted, has anyone else on the board purchased & taken ownership of theirs yet? (im sure many are in line or on standby)

If yes, Im hoping for some trusted *first -hand* personal thoughts/critiques/praise/opinions.

Thanks!

(To Clarify - specifically seeking insight on the New Springfield Armory - Hi-Power / P35)
I cant really complain about mine, its quite accurate. The barrel play in the exit from the slide seems irrelevant to accuracy since the spring tension always pushes the barrel to the bottom of the slight amount of play. Its kind of like pressing down on the barrel of a glock through the ejection port. They all have significant play but the final position due to spring tension is consistent. A lot of older Colt made 1911s have significant play in the barrel and bushing. I should note that my SA-35 has NO play in the barrel at the ejection port.

The rest of the gun is great, especially the trigger. Not only is it crisp and light but it has the silly magazine safety removed. As a matter of fact its one of the best triggers I've ever seen on a sub $800 factory pistol. Its better than the CZ75s single action pull (which is still very good). The sights are also excellent. Every original Browning or Inglis made Hi Power I ever handled had an atrocious trigger. Basically youd have to take an original Hi Power and send it to Novaks or somebody to get a gun as good as the SA-35.