• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

White stuff pouring out of Remington shells

lew

FALaholic #
Howdy,

Why is there white shit pouring out of my Remington 2.75" and 3" 00 buck shells? Looks like little plastic beads.

Stuff's about ten years old. Doesn't look like the sealant used on the crimp. Is it put in there to buffer the pellets? What should I use to seal up the hulls?

Trooper894

FALaholic #
It's called GREX and it is a buffer. When I was still active duty Remington got the contract for our #4 buck & "00" buck. We got a couple batches where the ends of the crimps were not sealed and the damn GREX would vibrate it's way out of the shells in the magazine tube while in the mounted rack. The GREX would work it's way around in the magazine tubes and into the action. I took it upon myself to periodically disassemble all of the shotguns from the cruisers and spares to keep them cleared out. The powers above didn't see it as a problem since they rarely had a need for a shotgun while riding a desk. I guess you could try to apply a dab of epoxy or hot melt glue to the center part of the crimp, where the GREX is coming out. I've still got 2 - 1 gallon Ziploc bags full of those shells with the buckshot just rattling around in the shell. They don't pattern worth a crap but for short range drills they work well enough. Remember, you do not want to glue the crimp folds together, you just want to cover the leaking hole where the folds come together.

FP1201

FALaholic #
It's called GREX and it is a buffer. When I was still active duty Remington got the contract for our #4 buck & "00" buck. We got a couple batches where the ends of the crimps were not sealed and the damn GREX would vibrate it's way out of the shells in the magazine tube while in the mounted rack. The GREX would work it's way around in the magazine tubes and into the action. I took it upon myself to periodically disassemble all of the shotguns from the cruisers and spares to keep them cleared out. The powers above didn't see it as a problem since they rarely had a need for a shotgun while riding a desk. I guess you could try to apply a dab of epoxy or hot melt glue to the center part of the crimp, where the GREX is coming out. I've still got 2 - 1 gallon Ziploc bags full of those shells with the buckshot just rattling around in the shell. They don't pattern worth a crap but for short range drills they work well enough. Remember, you do not want to glue the crimp folds together, you just want to cover the leaking hole where the folds come together.
Every once in a while I'll find a round or two leaking that shit....doesn't really hurt anything, but damn sure doesn't help and it sticks (static) to everything!

jtscuba02

FALaholic #
Does it look like this? I have a couple boxes I pulled out of ammo can. You can see the white specs on the table. Looks like the old powdered detergent. 20220401_224349.jpg

lew

FALaholic #
Thanks, Trooper!

Does it look like this? I have a couple boxes I pulled out of ammo can. You can see the white specs on the table. Looks like the old powdered detergent. View attachment 193007
That's the stuff. Thankfully, I've narrowed it down to just one shell. Might just get as much out as I can and not bother with sealing it.

How's it taste? Any numbing effect? Asking for the DOJoke, It may be part of the Bidet stash.
No numbing, but a faint hint of Parmesan. I did find a laptop while rummaging around, though...

Trooper894

FALaholic #
That's the stuff. It is a totally inert buffer that apparently doesn't absorb moisture or factor into residue from combustion, it's just that it mixes with oils/grease in the action and if enough builds up can effect function. Once enough of it migrates out of the shell, it will affect patterns as the pellets are no longer buffered from impacting each other which causes irregularities in the pellets flight down range. Shells work fine for short range practice.

easttex

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I wouldn't use epoxy or hot melt to seal them up as I'd be afraid if sealing them too efficiently. Try clear nail polish. That's what we used to use to seal primers and shot shells in our duck hunting days

meltblown

Social Influencer for the Feds
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Friend of mine sold heavy equipment filters in the middle east. A lot of the coolant filters have powdered additives in them. Fucking Saudis saw the shit inside the packaging and seized the goods thinking it was drugs. My buddy stayed out of the country until it all got sorted out. He would tell me tales of flying in and suspicious shit going on. One time he got to the airport, did not go through customs/immigration and took the next flight out.

KoKodog

FALaholic #
Sally Hansen Advanced Hard As Nails Nail Enamel With Nylon - Natural - 0.45 oz

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KRX8K8/?tag=akfnfal-20

you can also get it at walmart

I use it for all kinds of things - first used it as head cement when tying flies, even toothy fish cannot destroy a fly without a long hard battle

also use it on
paracord knots when making dog leashes using cobra braid

Southern 7.62

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Over yonder. Where over yonder? Yonder over yonder
Howdy,

Why is there white shit pouring out of my Remington 2.75" and 3" 00 buck shells? Looks like little plastic beads.

Stuff's about ten years old. Doesn't look like the sealant used on the crimp. Is it put in there to buffer the pellets? What should I use to seal up the hulls?
Cartel smuggles their coke in ways you’d never imagine 🤣