• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

What to do with my FAL? OR, can't leave well enough alone

Jonoton

FALaholic #
Hi everybody,

I have one FAL, a DSA Para with a heavy 21" barrel and DS333xx prefix serial number and DSA railed topcover.
I bought it years ago, fired and zeroed it, and it has lived in the back of the safe since.

I'm feeling like doing a project. I don't see myself ever building another, so my own set of tools is hard to justify. Also, I truly do appreciate the historical significance of the FAL, but recognize that my example is a modern facsimile of what the fellas in Rhodesia were carrying... i.e., no harm in departing from any historical fidelity with this one.

That all said, what would you do to change tgos one up to be a more compact, lighter 'utility' rifle? With that heavy 21" barrel, it is just too dang long to be much fun getting in and out of buggies etc. I tromp around with a 16" Model 7 in 308 or 18" Tavor often, so I know I won't get that level of compactness... but I'd like to get closer and lighter, and bring more firepower on hogs etc.

My plan:
A small prism optic in the 3 to 5 power range
Cut the barrel to 18", or shorter if reliability can be maintained. Thread 5/8-24? Will need to send it off.
New grip to replace the sticky Ergo
Hope to find an ARMS #3 or 4 to replace the DSA cover and trim a bit of weight
Ugly rattlecan paint job and camp tape wrap
Cheek pad?

Anything I should consider differently?

Thanks!

Attachments:

Venom6

FALaholic #
One of the few compensations (it sure ain't the money) of working in a small, rural, sheriff's office is that, within reason, we can carry whatever firearms we want so long as we buy them and can qualify with them. Over the decades I've carried various ARs, an XCR, HK51 (G3 with 9" barrel - brutal), AUG, PTR 91, and even a Rem.760 carbine (which actually made an excellent patrol rifle with a 4x leupold in swingover mount). But for about the past five years my primary has been a DSA LMT para with 18" barrel fitted with a LPVO and light. Would actually prefer a 16" but am not gonna mess with an original LMT. In fact I've got a DSA cast T3 "Congo para" 16" but it's iron sighted and for my work I need the LPVO.

My long-winded point is, I can carry whatever I want, and having surveyed the field for years, choose to bet my life on the FAL. Cut the barrel to 18" or even 16" (I'm told that is the shortest that will work with the inherent FAL gas system, not to mention the legalities), put an LPVO on it, and go slaughter 'dem hogs. When exiting the vehicle quickly (hogs or bad guys) the short barrel and folding stock matter. A lot. Practice deploying the stock. A lot. And the rigid (non-folding) charging handle is noticeably faster for me. Can't think of a better hog rifle (coming from a guy who's never seen a wild pig, let alone shot one šŸ˜). Please do keep us posted.

Last edited:

meltblown

Social Influencer for the Feds
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Plenty of members in your area that could help. The HB needs to go. I can't understand why it is on a para. Whether you choose shorter is up to you. My 1st AR was a heavy barrel and it turned me against any HB on anything

def90

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
The Peoples' Republic of Boulder, Colorado
Plenty of members in your area that could help. The HB needs to go. I can't understand why it is on a para. Whether you choose shorter is up to you. My 1st AR was a heavy barrel and it turned me against any HB on anything
It doesn't look like a heavy barrel, I think the OP is just saying that the 21 inch barrel is heavy.

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Buy whatever tools you need.

Use them.

Then sell them here.

Very much still a market for used tools in good condition, and sold at some lesser price than full retail.

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
The DSA 16" short-gas barrel assembly is a very good option for a short FAL if you're into short FAL's.

Should screw right in, and without any need to replace the locking shoulder. But as always, we say check headspace to be sure. If it were me, I'd screw the damn thing on there, and go shoot a box of ammo. If the spent brass doesn't look fucked up, you're good.

I have a very strong dislike for "chopped" barrels in the FAL. Your iron sights will be GROSSLY mis-regulated with any chopped barrel. And you'll probably have to enlarge the gas port considerably to get it to cycle reliably. The SHORT GAS system on the DSA assembly uses a normal-size gas port, which by being closer to the chamber, allows it to still cycle per normal.

I've had one (or WECSOG copy thereof) of about every version of FAL there is. Including all manner of "chopped" barrels. The standard-length light barrel, with standard "humpback" stock is all I want to mess with at this point.

Put an optic on your gun. The DSA mount is fine. Be sure to LOCTITE every damn one of those little screws. Mark them too so you can detect if one is trying to unscrew itself.

11650_1_.jpg

Last edited:

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
If I had to hire someone today right now to put a barrel on a FAL, I'd give Randy Kline a holler.

He's probably done a hundred of them. Maybe more.

He did one for me some years ago. Fast and done right.

Superior Machine
c/o Randy Kline
36644 Hwy 69 N
Jacksonville, TX 75766

sledgehammertexas@yahoo.com
melkline@flash.net

Jonoton

FALaholic #
Hi everybody,

Thank y'all for the advice!
I think I will contact Randy Kline as my first call

I'll measure the barrel diameter . I wasn't aware of a medium profile. It is constant diameter and I thought larger than the more classic barrels with the ribs ahead of the gas block assembly

Thank y'all!