• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

WHAT?! - No Mini-14 Sub-forum here? . . .

ArtBanks

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
Let's see what we can do about that.

The Mini-14 has a reliability factor far in excess of that found with anything in the ARs.

Kindling was there, just needed a match.

ArtBanks

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
30 years ago the mini was used to scare " harvest" a couple of meat producers into the freezer every year. I know the .223 was over kill. Seen muley collection in Oregon when a 22 mag was used with good results.

Have seen a turkey more recently loose it's head over a .223 from a precision target rifle. Not a mini. Those were used for critters that dressed in the 145 -175 range.

Bama Steve

FALaholic #
Shooting the 584 series 1st time out . . .

Executive Summary:

1. It is a travesty of modern manufacturing that stays on paper at 50 yds and sprays 2' wide/6" high at 100 yds
2. Ruger should be sued out of existence for continuing to sell this POS
3. It is a very nice looking and well thought out piece of shit
4. You would starve to death if this was your only way to take game from across the road
5. Bedding the action is the primary issue so it is salvageable at + expense

More later with pics . . .

:facepalm:

Last edited:

Bama Steve

FALaholic #
1st Range Trip

the 1st set of shots fired at 50 yards were promising but all shots fired at 100+ yds were scattered about and very disappointing.

The completely irratic bullet impacts imediately reminded me of loose rifle/stock bedding.

So, I got some big F'n Tie-wraps and using the British unit of pressure called "Two feet and hands worth of force" , I cinched the wraps around the ONLY two places that can accept it.

50 yds:

100 yds:

Readjust sight - 50 yds:

Readjusted sight - 100 yds:

The tie wrap have slipped to the rear and the force was lost during that last pic which explains the impact drift.

But, this experiment has shown me exactly what to pursue next and it ain't a bbl strut . . .

:)

Last edited:

hardheaded

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Pretty tight mini groups Bama
Mine does about twice that
Not for long though...

I still love my mini 14

I noticed you have the more desirable heavier barrel under the gas block , you may not realize a benefit with a accu strut

Bama Steve

FALaholic #
My thanks, HH.

That was shot over iron sights and I don't see the front sight post all that sharp so some of it was me, the rest was the added clamping force of the tie-wraps.

I'm making some additional wood shims and gluing them into place which I will document shortly.

Keep after it.

:)

Bama Steve

FALaholic #
I need to select the hardest shim stock I have on hand so I consult the wood hardness chart --> http://www.workshoppages.com/WS/Misc/Wood-Hardness-Chart.pdf

. . . and find that my Domestic Red Oak is the hardest I have available to me (outside of my teenage pale sausage) and shall now go and cut a strip on the table-saw then clamp it down on the work bench and hand-plane it down to the required 0.063" thickness.

More later . . .

:uhoh:

Bama Steve

FALaholic #
Shimming/stock-fitting music . . .

Yes, you need subliminal inspiration instead of listening to the crowd inside your head and on the interweb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXW-sL5gzHQ

Just do it . . .

:beer:

Sharpened/cleaned my hand plane, sanded out the mating parts in the stock and measured the width of the front lug width from the stock opening channel and divided by 2.

I am looking to make two (0.050") thick shims with a hand plane . . .

lew

FALaholic #
My underfolder AK shoots better than that, Bama.:facepalm:

I really like the concept of the Mini series, but the execution is a damned joke.

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I hate to say it but my .223 AK shoots better than that and the group does not open up more when it gets hot.

Are the bolts on the gas block all equally torqued?
That is always the first thing I check. Second is properly bed the action in stock and shims are just a shortcut till have time to bed the receiver. Then do a trigger job and most mini's now shoot as good as an FAL with less than $25 in parts/materials. I have installed Accustruts on rifles which helped them as a fast fix but once properly fitted all the parts rifle would shoot the same with or without the Accustrut and sometimes better without it.

Ruger Mini 14 assembly line has the worst fitment assembly line of any long standing American firearms company. If a car company fit parts like Ruger fits Mini's and 10/22's their cars would not make it to dealership unless it broke loading onto car carrier. It's a shame they have no more pride in their workmanship. Add a station to fit receivers into stocks, train the people that assemble trigger groups what square and plumb is along with proper shooting rifes. What's odd are the Ruger handguns that shoot as well as anyones.

hardheaded

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I still love my mini
Bamas groups are way better than my 580 mine will cover a basketball at 100 yes, no kidding
Another couple of weeks and the boat will be on stands for the winter
After that WECSOG begins
IMG950078(1).jpg

Bama Steve

FALaholic #
I still love my mini
Bamas groups are way better than my 580 mine will cover a basketball at 100 yes, no kidding
After that WECSOG begins
View attachment 92169
I'll have some good news for you 584 Series lovers later tonight . . . Stay tuned . . . :)

Bama Steve

FALaholic #
I still love my mini
After that WECSOG begins
View attachment 92169
**** boats - tractors rule!

Can't mow a shooting range with a boat.

:biggrin:

Bama Steve

FALaholic #
I hate to say it but my .223 AK shoots better than that and the group does not open up more when it gets hot.

Are the bolts on the gas block all equally torqued?
If you are actually following the thread instead of crapping in it you would already know the answer.

You started off so supportive and helpful too man. What happened?

:?

Bama Steve

FALaholic #
An angel spoke to me today on the range and told me not to despair concerning all the negative comments by the demons and rubbish tossers concerning the Mini-14, 580+ series rifle accuracy and how to make it into a shooter of the class that remains in the front of my safe, always.

"There shall be those heathens which dwell among you that arise from time to time with comments and questions designed to derail you from the path of truth that you seek. Tarry not with them but continue your efforts and thou shall be rewarded by the labor of your hands and the focus of your mind. In this way shall thou findeth the answer you seek. Ask not of other's nor seek their council for they dwell outside of your mind and are jaded and damaged by their own experiences and desires and wish you not good fortune nor assist your endeavors but to turn you away from the the true alignment of your mind and objective".

So I set down me rifle, observed the just shot target before me and said to myself, "I have achieved my goal".

Later, boys . . . .

:uhoh:

:wink:

Steve.

Will C

Contributor
FALaholic #
Bama Steve, thank you for this thread and your efforts to date. I currently have 3 rifles chambered for 7.62x39 - (2) Arsenal AKs and an NIB Ruger Mini 30. The Mini shall remain NIB until I find it another home in the (very) near future. It’s always hard for me to get rid of a gun - thanks for helping me see the light and get over the hump! I wish you success with your Mini...if you don’t succeed it apparently won’t be for lack of trying. :whiskey:

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Are you planning on adding a accu-strut? I’d like to see some before & after groups if you do. How far are you going on this adventure?
This thread has rekindled my interest in my mini. I can’t decide if I want to flush more money down that toilet.
Accustrut if keep original barrel but none if swap to quality barrel with heavier profile. The factory barrel is a little light and while or has had harmonics or both. If rebarrel properly the Accustrut can take away accuracy.