• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

WHAT?! - No Mini-14 Sub-forum here? . . .

Bama Steve

FALaholic #
Wow!

So disappointed.

I KNOW some of you have them and need to speak-up as I am considering another in SS on wood since I traded my 1st one off when I was in my early 20's like an idiot . . .

Adjustable gas blocks are now available and they come with much better iron sights (Actually, pretty awesome iron sights) Integral scope mounts too.

Come-on, you guys fess up if you have a "580" or higher prefix serial numbered rifle and tell me about your experiences . . .

:)

hagar

FALaholic #
No, and let's keep it that way.

The Mini was an option when it was $350 and a run of the mill AR15 was $1000, today it cannot compete in any arena.

hardheaded

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Why sure,
In my youth I shot my dad's 1970s version and loved it , I was devastated when he sold it

I bought a 580 stainless ranch years ago , I liked them because they were reminiscent of my favorite rifles the M14 and the Carbine all rolled into one

I immediately put my 580 in a Butler Creek folder and stuffed it in the back of the gun safe for a decade

during that time , when i was still under the impression that the Sportsmans Guide was a great place to shop i bought several matching stainless steel mags , a CETME style flash suppressor and a Weaver one piece rail to replace the chincy ranch scope mounts

Then one cloudy day I took my prized mini to the range
For a stroll

At 25 yard zero the thing shot like a lazer until the SG flash hider secured with Allen screws fell off on the second shot

Not to be defeated so easily I put the factory front sight back on and went back to the range

Those pretty SG stainless mags experienced every feed malfunction I knew of and invented a few more , the 40 rounders needed torn apart and dumped from the bottom beating them out with a piece of pine and hammer ,it was like i glued the rounds in there

So , no to be thwarted

I went to Joe's guns in town and ordered a few Ruger 20 round mags , upon arrival back to the range we go

Now my prized mini shoots like a lazer at 25 yards aaand all the SG woes are behind me we move to the 100 yard line

36" groups , WTF? Remember the SG 1 piece rail ? , I sure do
Now with the scope and rail laying under the shooting bench I can get 18" groups at 100 with open irons , almost totally livid , I go look for the brass that ended up grouping tighter than the pointy things

I found a walnut wood stock on ebay that after stripping
That plastic coating off had insane tiger striping buried underneath and threw the butler creek folder in the pile with all the other add ons

I also took a Norinco M14 hand guard and altered it to fit the mini , plus shoe horned a M16 butt plate on it

My prized mini is in a closet waiting for me to get a accu strut and M14 style flash hider when I get some time

After all that I still love my mini

Invictus77

1C16:13
Staff member
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Why is the mini-14 (at least reportedly) such an inherently inaccurate stick?

On the surface I would not think it would be, but I have never had one personally with any range time.

hagar

FALaholic #

On the surface I would not think it would be, but I have never had one personally with any range time.
It does not like FMJ bullets for some reason, shoots patterns. But I managed to get some good groups with the Winchester 64gr PP bullet and 25 grains of Accurate 2520. But the zero kept wandering, would shoot one place this week, another the next week, as much as 3 inches apart. Could have been the cheap Tasco $60 scope I had on it, sold the rifle years ago during one of the gun panics.

Just to have the wife bitch at me that I sold "HER" rifle.. :sad:

Tak

FALaholic #

I have never really tried hard for super accuracy with mine. Shooting from the bench at 50 yards with a block of wood for a rest and my poor eyesight, I would put all my shots in a 5" circle with cheap range ammo. This is with the standard (old) style sights (rifle is from about 1999).

If I put a scope on it and slowed down and had a better rest and really tried I'm sure it could do better. One of these years I'll try that just to see what it can do.

What I like is it's rugged and I've cleaned it once in 20 years (only the bore) and it's only failed to eject 1 time with some polycoat wolf ammo. Otherwise no issues.

hagar

FALaholic #
Mine could do 1 inch consistently with handloads. The day after I bought my first AR15 (a full length Bushmaster A2) I took them both out to the desert, and the Mini Ranch with a scope did better than the AR with irons. But like I mentioned, the groups shifted every time I shot it. Still grouped well, but different place.

Had no problem shooting 5 out of 5 milk jugs filled with water at 300 yards with the Mini with one shot each.

jam762

FALaholic #
The SS Ranch I have is pretty much as hagar described. Wandering zero. Get it dialed in one trip and the next trip it’s all over the damn place. It’s a 188 I believe. I had planned to put a accu-strut on it to see if that would help but never got around to it. Picked it up in the late ‘90s at a pawn shop for $200 if I remember correctly. One of these days I’ll get around to putting the accu-strut on it and give it another go. Until then it’s neglected.
Doesn’t the 580’s have a heavier barrel on them than the older 180’s?

Randall

FALaholic #
I am of the opinion that you can get any Mini-14 to shoot fairly well. By fairly well, I mean 2MOA with mounted glass, and good ammo. Here is how I mitigated my wandering zero issue:
1) Did a proper bedding job on the original wood stock. (YouTube)
2) Added an Accustrut to the front of the barrel.
3) Gave it a proper trigger job with an overtravel stop. (YouTube)
4) Added a Leupold 3x9x32 scope with a solid base.
5) Use good consistent ammo.

Here is how I cured my jamming problems.
1) I use original 5 round Ruger magazines

I like my Mini just fine. However, I have to admit that I wouldn't own one now if I had to purchase it new. I got mine when it was considerably cheaper than the cheapest AR-15. And, no matter how you shake it, the Mini ain't ever going to be an AR-15.

Here is the source of the old YouTube videos that I used.

Last edited:

Jarhead504

FALaholic #
I had (5) which I never fired. Still have (3); unfired. One is a "Bicentennial" Series 180. I never bothered to bring them to the range as I was always in love with my M-14 and FAL clones.

"Survive" Magazine, an early 1980's sister publication of "Soldier of Fortune" before the Klintonistas fugged things up, ran an article by which the author had several people who had NEVER fired or even held a firearm, mainly young and older folks with a mix of wimmin and teenangels, take proper firearms handling from him and over a period of a few days then let them shoot a large variety of rifles, pistols and shotguns. Many of the guns were the "modern" semi-autos available back in the early 1980's, no where near what we have today, (before Glocks and all the AR variants were around) but still he offered them a good selection from which to choose.

In conclusion, these people felt comfortable and became confident with:

The Mini-14
Remington 870 with an 18" barrel
A lever action (a don't remember which or what caliber)
S & W Model 19 type revolver
Ruger 10-22

The lowly Mini was chosen by the yutes and wimmin as it was easier for them to operate than the other military-styled-look-a-likes, something to consider before you write the Mini off as a total POS. The lives of your wife and daughters may depend on them being able to confidently handle a firearm THEY LIKE, such as the po' misunderstood Mini-Fo'teen.

HTH,
Jarhead

ByronF

FALaholic #
I tried to like one. Made it look pretty close to a small M14 for fun. After having it a while I failed to see the point of keeping it. I see nothing making it inherently simpler to operate than an AR15. In fact, mag changes arent as easy as an AR15, and the safety isnt as intuitive. Not a horrible rifle, but far from a great rifle. If someone feels more comfortable operating a Mini 14 than an AR15 then I suspect its an emotional thing based on appearance. Some people feel self conscious handling a scary rifle, less so if the rifle more closely resembles a Fudd gun. Thats fine for a new shooter, I guess.

https://www.perfectunion.com/vb/min...-gi-style-mini-14-a.html#/topics/82214?page=2

Tak

FALaholic #
I tried to like one. Made it look pretty close to a small M14 for fun. After having it a while I failed to see the point of keeping it. I see nothing making it inherently simpler to operate than an AR15. In fact, mag changes arent as easy as an AR15, and the safety isnt as intuitive. Not a horrible rifle, but far from a great rifle. If someone feels more comfortable operating a Mini 14 than an AR15 then I suspect its an emotional thing based on appearance. Some people feel self conscious handling a scary rifle, less so if the rifle more closely resembles a Fudd gun. Thats fine for a new shooter, I guess.

https://www.perfectunion.com/vb/min...-gi-style-mini-14-a.html#/topics/82214?page=2
I'll say the Mini is easier/more intuitive to charge than the AR-15. So is the safety, at least in my view. AR's were expensive at the time I got mine, so Mini was a good choice for something simple and rugged and reliable and which doesn't need to be cleaned much.

Other than the stupid charging handle location on the AR, I really like the AR.

Randall

FALaholic #
Anybody else have the trigger group come unlatched and drop out onto the ground while shooting a Mini?
I've never had it happen, but I have heard folks talk about it happening to them on various Forums. There were fixes offered as well, but I just can't recall what they were. You might check out Perfect Union and do some searches. The answer it probably in there somewhere.

I got kicked off that site years ago for telling a moderator and his buddy (a vendor) to suck my balls. So, I don't really go there anymore...lol :smile:

ByronF

FALaholic #
Mine would never drop the trigger group until I put it in a walnut stock. The fit was tight. Too tight for the method of lockup. After bedding it without being so tight the TG stopped dropping out. Didnt exactly fill me with confidence.

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
I owned a blued Mini in 1989.

The gas system would rust if you looked at it.

Only way to wipe-down the gas system to prevent rust was to remove barreled upper assembly from buttstock. Which probably wouldn't hurt "accuracy" inasmuch as the word didn't really apply to the gun in OEM configuration.

It always went bang. I'll give it that. Even with a rusty gas system.

Illurian00

FALaholic #
I had a Mini years. Terrible accuracy, paid no attention to sight adjustments. As was said earlier, the ejected brass grouped better than the fired rounds. Trigger was good,never a [problem w/ function.
Searched the internet regarding the Mini. At that time, their were a few chop shops that would over haul your Mini, replete w/ a big fat barrel for several hundred bucks. I decided that made no sense.
As has been said 'if you want a 223 semi, get an AR, and don't look back'.

Ruger has had decades to do something w/ the defective barrel and overhaul the gas block. Ed Harris wrote an article on Mini 14 problems for American Rifleman. He was consulting w/ Ruger on it. He examined the manufacturing process. Mr. Harris concluded about 2% of the rifles coming off the line shot to an acceptable standard. Ruger decided his suggestions would be too costly to implement.
How it keeps selling is beyond me.

One thing, it might be viable option for states that have banned vertical grips. Perhaps ServiceRifle (post # 5) might chime in w/ a review on the Mini he purchased here not long ago.

ByronF

FALaholic #
Some have speculated the significant mass of the block on end of op rod causes a lot of flex and movement. A more M14 type system would seem a good start at a redesign. But it'll never happen, and the AR15 has to be rendering it a loss leader across their brand. At least they cost a lot.

lew

FALaholic #
We already have a shotgun forum.:rolleyes:

:takebow::snoopy::blackeye:

A Mini was the only gun of which I have had the displeasure to shoot. Terrible groups, and the grittiest action and trigger I've ever come across. Handling others left me with the same impression of the internals.

Bama Steve

FALaholic #
I just don't remember my early 80's vintage mini being all this bad even with all the stamped sights, pencil bbl and lack of scope mounts and stuff with the one I had in the late 80's.

I wasn't into punching paper nor reloading for it back then but everything I pointed it at got blowed-up real good all the way from right there in front of me out to 250+ yards with iron sights and using mil-spec ammo and it was all 5.56mm stuff back then.

Part of me thinks that accuracy when measured by a ruler on a grid/patterned target makes us think of the firearm differently than the guy above who was hitting milk-jugs at 300 yards consistently without a miss.

All the complaints I hear about its accuracy mirror exactly the same as the FAL.

Can you believe that?

:biggrin:

Illurian00

FALaholic #
I just don't remember my early 80's vintage mini being all this bad even with all the stamped sights, pencil bbl and lack of scope mounts and stuff with the one I had in the late 80's.

I wasn't into punching paper nor reloading for it back then but everything I pointed it at got blowed-up real good all the way from right there in front of me out to 250+ yards with iron sights and using mil-spec ammo and it was all 5.56mm stuff back then.

Part of me thinks that accuracy when measured by a ruler on a grid/patterned target makes us think of the firearm differently than the guy above who was hitting milk-jugs at 300 yards consistently without a miss.

All the complaints I hear about its accuracy mirror exactly the same as the FAL.

Can you believe that?

:biggrin:
The difference is, most FALs' shoot to an acceptable standard, most Minis' don't. The much anticipated .308 version never made it past the proto-type. Accuracy wasn't acceptable , even by Mini standards, can you believe that ?

Bama Steve

FALaholic #
The difference is, most FALs' shoot to an acceptable standard, most Minis' don't. The much anticipated .308 version never made it past the proto-type. Accuracy wasn't acceptable , even by Mini standards, can you believe that ?
Hey, dude!

Let's argue shall we?

It's all in good fun isn't it?

The .308 mini is actually a friggin' com-bloc-ammo-consumer with a projectile diameter of 0.311" and the bore is 0.308"

Isn't that funny?

:rofl:

Do FAL's exhibit vertical stringing?