• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Well I guess I just joined the club,

badzero

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I picked up a new Un fired Springfield m1a socom (16 in barrel, wood stock) yesterday, for a price that I would have kited a check to cover if I would have had to back in the day. I have always wanted one just somehow never seemed to buy one, I really wish it hadn’t been this particular model, it just looks wrong to me. So my question is how big of a deal is it to swap into a standard length barrel? Which barrel do I want? Which mags do I want and who has the best prices on them?

Last edited:

Pat C.

FALaholic #
Switching barrels is easy if you have the tools ,but unless you plan on building rifles you'll probably send it off to someone like Ted Brown ,J. Wolfe, etc.
USGI mags is your best bet.
You will need the barrel , flash suppressor,castle nut, front,sight and gas lock. If you want USGI type rifle.

You can sell the socom barrel ,and special gas lock sight assembly.

NFADLR

FALaholic #
Location thats the question▽ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¿?
Would be a member but have tons of other rifles also so one has to pick his firearm, so ima member of the FN/FAL club a member of the DSA/FAL club, Galil 308 ARM club, HK-41 club, AR-15 x15 various variantsb club, M1 Garand club, stainless lever gun club, etal as thats just what I remember.

rifles3van_ohcw2002dyd.jpg

Last edited:

Jfoxx

FALaholic #
I refer to the M-14 Believers and followers and all that is involved with the M-14, past, present and future, as "The M-14 Cult". If you get engaged with the M-14 activity long enough, you will see why I call it that.

Jarhead
Certified Member of The M-14 Cult
I've had a m1a with a winchester match barrel since 1989. Still shoots well

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Probably easiest solution for standard length barrel is Criterion from Fulton Armory.

Really good barrel for fair price.

Given that the M14 is no longer competitive in the Service Rifle game, I see no reason to invest in any barrel other than standard profile.

DE6FB49C-4ED6-415A-BEBD-3A184896F50C.jpeg

Invictus77

1C16:13
Staff member
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I refer to the M-14 Believers and followers and all that is involved with the M-14, past, present and future, as "The M-14 Cult". If you get engaged with the M-14 activity long enough, you will see why I call it that.

Jarhead
Certified Member of The M-14 Cult
No comment.......

😁😁😁😁

1655254169045.png

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Unless you think you are going to go into the business of swapping lots of M14 barrels, the smart money is on just sending your gun to Fulton.

DFEE5ED5-7942-437C-9E76-CB1F1AB67389.jpeg
CC3F3CFD-75BB-4A82-BF20-51672283B510.jpeg

lew

FALaholic #
Fulton will sell you as many excellent magazines as you feel like paying for.

View attachment 210106
Screw that. Get 'em directly from Checkmate. $35, but you'll have to wait a few weeks until they're back in-stock. Even Springfield-marked mags are cheaper.

To anyone in the Phoenix area, Accuracy Speaks at Rio Salado have some folks that know their way around the M14. They did a great job wrenching mine together.

Jarhead504

FALaholic #
Screw that. Get 'em directly from Checkmate. $35, but you'll have to wait a few weeks until they're back in-stock. Even Springfield-marked mags are cheaper.

To anyone in the Phoenix area, Accuracy Speaks at Rio Salado have some folks that know their way around the M14. They did a great job wrenching mine together.
Another big plus of the Phoenix area is that you have RON SMITH and Smith Enterprises nearby.

Jarhead

lew

FALaholic #
Another big plus of the Phoenix area is that you have RON SMITH and Smith Enterprises nearby.

Jarhead
He built my buddy's M14. That thing's an amazing shooter. However, Ron is unfortunately located in Tempestan, and I do my damndest to stay out of there.

gevarm96

FALaholic #
I picked up a new Un fired Springfield m1a socom (16 in barrel, wood stock) yesterday, for a price that I would have kited a check to cover if I would have had to back in the day. I have always wanted one just somehow never seemed to buy one, I really wish it hadn’t been this particular model, it just looks wrong to me. So my question is how big of a deal is it to swap into a standard length barrel? Which barrel do I want? Which mags do I want and who has the best prices on them?
I have a ‘99 sai “loaded” model with some GI parts, 22” barrel. With pmc 168 match its scary accurate for an autoloader.

I also have a ‘12 sai 18” rifle I put in a plastic stock which is waaaay handier/lighter & loves 130gr ammo.

But if I could have any it would be a 19.25” rifle as thats the shortest you can go & still mount a bayonet. Bula offers them but I’ve read some pretty bad reviews for Bula lately. So for now I’m sticking with the 18”

Midway had good checkmate mags for $28 not too long ago. Not sure if they still do.