• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Value of Frankenstein reweld Garand receiver

warsteiner_1970

FALaholic #
Well got had over on the akfiles by a guy who sold me a reweld receiver. Springfield 1.6 mil with front end from 6 digit era. Not bad, but obvious in op rod channel and clip latch notch. rest you can't see, even color matches well. He refused to give me my money back, go figure. So, considering I have pile of good ones, what's one worth? Anything? LOL

SOLD: - Springfield Armory M1 Garand Receiver $375 | The AK Files

On second note, beware this seller.

Jarhead504

FALaholic #
If you are in doubt, have it x-rayed by any company that x-rays pipe and oil field related welding. It shouldn't cost you too much.

If the receiver is straight, AND the locking lugs are not worn out past spec, AND the trigger bridge is not worn out past spec, (one of the actual real reasons the gummit had to scrap M-1 and M-14 receivers) and it works as a Garand should, AND if the there are no voids also "insufficient welds" as they are called, it should be okay. What does suck is someone NOT telling you the receiver has been welded back together before selling it to you.

Jarhead

TerryN

FALaholic #
IMHO, it's worth whatever an M1 parts kit in comparable condition goes for these days. Or, do as Jarhead recommends. Who knows? It might run just fine.

V guy

Silver Contributor
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
According to Kuhnhausen in his Garand Gunsmithing book, the problem with rewelds was the receiver bridge area.

That area has a safety feature like the M-14...... both have a cam area, that prevents the firing pin from going forward until the bolt is in battery. Some rewelds got that area slightly tipped, or welded that area too.

Inspect carefully.....out of battery explosions due to the fp hitting too long ammo.............

I welded up one 30 years ago. It worked, but I got nervous and cut it up again.

enbloc8

FALaholic #
If you are in doubt, have it x-rayed by any company that x-rays pipe and oil field related welding. It shouldn't cost you too much.

If the receiver is straight, AND the locking lugs are not worn out past spec, AND the trigger bridge is not worn out past spec, (one of the actual real reasons the gummit had to scrap M-1 and M-14 receivers) and it works as a Garand should, AND if the there are no voids also "insufficient welds" as they are called, it should be okay. What does suck is someone NOT telling you the receiver has been welded back together before selling it to you.

Jarhead
Another reason for chopping a receiver back in the day (and which may not be obvious now) was if a rifle was damaged in a fire.

Douglas Wozny

FALaholic #
Back in the middle of the last century when I was young and did know a certain body part from a hole in the ground, I brought a M1 Garand and shot the dodo out of it with mostly World War 2 era GI ball. Years later someone educated me that it was a WELDED receiver (not REWELDED as they were never welded in the first place) and the barrel was made from a 2 groove M1903A3 barrel. He said it was not safe to shoot (although I had been shooting it for about 10 years by then without a problem) and would give me $25 for the parts. Sad to say I took the $25.

NFADLR

FALaholic #
Location thats the question▽ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¿?
Jebus Douglas, what were you thinking!

Back in the middle of the last century when I was young and did know a certain body part from a hole in the ground, I brought a M1 Garand and shot the dodo out of it with mostly World War 2 era GI ball. Years later someone educated me that it was a WELDED receiver (not REWELDED as they were never welded in the first place) and the barrel was made from a 2 groove M1903A3 barrel. He said it was not safe to shoot (although I had been shooting it for about 10 years by then without a problem) and would give me $25 for the parts. Sad to say I took the $25.

hardheaded

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Back in the day any Garand for sale to the public was a welded demill.
Dont be scared , double check the saftey bridge measurement and go for it.
To add:
It would worry me if it was welded in front of the locking lugs or in the barrel thread area.

Last edited:

Douglas Wozny

FALaholic #
Jebus Douglas, what were you thinking!
Like I said, "I was young and did know a certain body part from a hole in the ground". Beside there weren't no internet back then and the only reference I could find in the library was a copy of Small Arms of the World! This was before 1968 so the guy that sold it to me didn't care I was 15 because I had cash in hand.

yovinny

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
To add:
It would worry me if it was welded in front of the locking lugs or in the barrel thread area.
True enough...
My one Garand that I've actually fired the most,, is a weld receiver one my uncle made for me 40yrs ago.

enbloc8

FALaholic #
To add:
There were some legit ones out there, but not as many and they were more expensive.

NFADLR

FALaholic #
Location thats the question▽ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¿?
Pics linkage etc ?

Mine is from 1941 guess ill have to give it a good look over.

To add:

Nathaniel01

FALaholic #
My dad has 4 welded receiver Garands, one from each manufacturer. They were acquired late ‘70s when I was a few years old. Shot the International some before I realized they were welded, scared me to death! It appears to be excellent work, I think the receivers must have stayed together. I’ll see if I can get some pics & check the safety bridges etc.
Thanks for the post, hate that the scamming occurred 😡

FP1201

FALaholic #

Jarhead
Exactly.

FWIW: Civilian Marksmanship Program is "SOLD OUT" of all but Exceptional Grade which are Rifles they've built with new barrels and new Furniture for $1K.

Does suck, seller MIGHT not have know, might have which is why he sold it...

Re-weld brings me to another Garand question that I'll make a new thread for.