• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Value of a Shooter Python 357?

meltblown

Social Influencer for the Feds
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I saw one at the gun shop today. This is a very small place that is not like a retail store. You get buzzed in and all. Anyway he had one with 6 or 7 inch barrel for 1800. I had been shot. I would say that it had some decent use but not beat up. It sort of caught my eye. I wanted one when I was young but went to semis and never looked back. Also, I have zero 357 mag inventory.

meltblown

Social Influencer for the Feds
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I assume you're talking about an old one, not a new one right? $1,800 is not too bad if it is something you really want.
Oh yeah it's no way a new one. You can tell that it's been shot but taken care of. Looking at the cylinder through the glass it has been indexed a decent amount. I'd say very good condition.

MACV

FALaholic #
I’d say that’s a decent price for an older one as you described. They were fetching $3k + before the 2020 models came out. (Re-designed)
Prices have come down a bit for original ones. I paid $2600 here on the Files for a very nice one made in 1967. Was glad to get it. I’ve wanted one for years.
BBBFB6A4-3E50-4A60-B2BF-9958EE8B40FA.jpeg

hopdevil

Consumer of Belgian Guns and Beer.
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Older the better. With box always better. Do a little digging. Serial numbers matter if you are buying it solely on collecting value. The condition of the grips matter. Make sure they are original. Original replacements in excellent condition do not show up often. Not like Smiths.

hagar

FALaholic #
Always wanted one myself, but never actually shot one. Settled for a mint Colt Trooper for $700 4 years ago.

As for ammo, reload! The cases last forever and the bullets are still cheap. Paying a $ a round when you can reload for a fifth of the price is insane. But I guess powder and primers are insanely priced these days as well, but still cheaper than buying factory ammo.

Gazz

FALaholic #
I bought one about 30 years ago for $275. While a handsome revolver, I was not impressed with shooting it as the cylinder did not always line up with the bore and it spit bits of lead out the side. At the indoor range I frequented, the bits of lead would hit the partition and bounce back and hit me in the face. I sold it for $400 and was happy to get it then. For the money, I think an older S&W would be a better purchase. I have a pre model 27 that is just as handsome as a Python and shoots just fine.

MAINER

Old Salt
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Decent price on that Python if it’s an itch you got to scratch. They were always overpriced in my estimate.
A friend had the 6” version back in the 70’s. He too had to send it back to Colt a couple times for timing problems.

I currently have an older King Cobra, not as pretty as the big snake , but works fine.
Always been partial to a S&W N or L frame irregardless of the money difference.

Pythons sure are purty howsomever.

Venom6

FALaholic #
Magnificent guns, lot of cache and history. The one you're looking at sounds fairly priced. If you just want a great .357 shooter you can get a S&W 686 for half the price and twice the life. Your's is almost certainly a 6" (it and the 4" were most common).

James

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
If it's blued it's an early one all the new ones are nickle plated. The new version is only $1500 NIB. Scheels store in The Colony had one there 3 weeks ago. The Colony is north of Dallas .

James