• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Updated 7/15/24 (new stuff) From the Bench,,,,,,,,,,(How to) all in one running thread/

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Hand guard cracks;

Had a set today,,,,had been "fixed" prior, of course, they broke open again.

Hand guard material is too thin to just glue up,,,,got to have reinforcements overlaid over the crack to hold up.

Glue up the crack normally,,,,,,once dry,,,,I use a half inch sanding drum, fits the front recoil tube channel perfectly, grind down a channel, say a 1/16th or even an 1/8th of an inch deep, then insert 5/8th dowel rod down into a nice bed of glue and clamp down tight.

Once dry, simply grind off the excess wood over the crack back down to normal contour and all done.

Cracks around the metal bits where the hand guard screws fits, dig out the rot down to clean wood, cut donor wood, insert and glue up tight, once dry, re contour the guard back to normal shape, all done.

Same thing for deep holes,,,add new wood, glue down tight, make sure you align grain lines, once dry, shape the area, all done..

001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG

When you run out of room for more clamps, set everything aside for 24 hours, and stop work!:)LOL

Below just some Flywood,,,real nice,,,,

008.JPG
010.JPG
011.JPG

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
This will just cover some finishing of set pieces that do not come close to matching for natural color and shade into nice sets.

@Near Sighted Sniper picked up pieces for a set from @Flypaper at different times, so, they ranged in color from very light, nearly white in the raw, to wild and crazy, (beautiful) with crazy grain and figuring.

Walnut can range from dark natural brown to nearly white and everything in the middle, matching sets where the wood was not picked to be matching at the onset presents few issues, but can be overcome.

Can be full of fancy figuring, thick and pronounced grain lines, to near nothing showing, just depends on where the pieces were slabbed from.

This set below, butt and pistol grip perfect natural matches, real fancy!!! (y)

The hand guard, about plain, about white, one dark vein, not much character, like the extra fancy butt and grip.

Same thing for the carry handle, plain Jane, not much grain showing at all.

The hand guard;

First thing was to add what was missing for grain and character, out comes the tiny artist brush, and some black dye,,,you simply look at the butt in this case, and start drawing in grain lines, smudges, added another heavy black thick grain line. I place the lines and then use a finger to smug them to "look" natural.

After you add the darkest lines and such, switch over to the dark brown, and finally to light brown, building up layers of what I call,,,,character.

Once you get everything added,,,,,now its time to darker the whole piece, to match the overall dark walnut in this example, with the darker areas of the butt and pistol grip.

You do the above with the carry handle in this example,,,,what it does not have, simply add it!

Special note;

Wood like this, can vary greatly, spot to spot, side to side, etc.
From dark brown, to nearly white in areas, on the same exact piece, which again, is what makes it beautiful!

I look at the pieces from about three feet away, and say,,,,OK,,,,its all mostly this color, so,,,,,this is the "base color" and "shade" for the whole set.

Anyway,,,,,,I enjoy this level of work,,,,,since I can't sing, dance, or even paint a damn house, much less a picture, this is as close as I'll ever get to being an "artist".:)LOL

046.JPG
045.JPG
043.JPG
038.JPG

There are two sets here,,,,,one complete, and one with just the butt and grip

But both demonstrate what I'm trying to saying,,,like the pistol grip above on the second set, one side, has that large natural white area, the other side, natural brown,,,

041.JPG
085.JPG

The last picture above, another @Flypaper creation,,,,I did the butt and grip for another gentleman, as light as possible, then he got a set of these guards, so needed to match them to the butt and grip, mailed home the butt, but kept the grip until the guards arrived, so as to get a good color and shade match.

Just another beautiful set of Flypaper wood!!!!

Enjoy....

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Forgot;

The way to bring out the finer grain lines which are present, but hard to impossible to see in a piece of white walnut,,,,mix brown dye with your finish oil, wipe down the whole piece, let set for about 1 minute, then rub off with an old bath towel,,,,the grain lines, fine ones, will "take" the oil and dye, let this set up overnight, then go about the above, doing your artist thing.

I just do this stuff,,,,,writing it down, forget steps....:)LOL

ByronF

FALaholic #
Ooh! Ooooh! Mistah Kottah! Mistah Kottah!

I have this crack. No big deal. I've irrigated clean and could glue it now. But I still need to strip. Or I could strip it, then glue it. Except stripper turns to snot in such crevaces and dries into adhesion-ruining crust which will be difficult to dig out.

So.... glue now, or later?

1719014882829-1727141824.jpg

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Ooh! Ooooh! Mistah Kottah! Mistah Kottah!

I have this crack. No big deal. I've irrigated clean and could glue it now. But I still need to strip. Or I could strip it, then glue it. Except stripper turns to snot in such crevaces and dries into adhesion-ruining crust which will be difficult to dig out.

So.... glue now, or later?

View attachment 421674

I always wait until everything is stripped and ready for color and oil, before fixing anything,,,,stripper does not play well with glues.

If that was here,,,,,,I'd run some 3/32nd threaded rod across the crack, about half an inch from the front end, and same on back end after she comes out of the clamps, from side to side, one entry point for each rod.

Mistah Kotter has spoken!:)LOL

ByronF

FALaholic #
Bryon,,,if ya don't have the threaded rod, drop me a PM, and I'll mail ya couple of pieces for this job...
You're a heck of a guy, YH!

All I need to do is throw these in the scrap wood pile (which for me is a sammich bag). But NOOOOO!. The Way of the Yellow Hand doesn't roll that way.

1720300266862-887374226.jpg

Left panel is missing a corner (easy) and someone thought it needed finger grooves to keep up with Glock Perfection.

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
You're a heck of a guy, YH!

All I need to do is throw these in the scrap wood pile (which for me is a sammich bag). But NOOOOO!. The Way of the Yellow Hand doesn't roll that way.

View attachment 425547

Left panel is missing a corner (easy) and someone thought it needed finger grooves to keep up with Glock Perfection.

I'd like to see these when you're done! (y)

Take a lot of before and after pictures please and post them here.

I've had a longish run of "normal stuff" lately, nothing of note repair wise to speak about.
Got some, broken beyond repair stuff being mailed in, but not here yet.

Should clean up right nice.

To be honest,,,,,,I most enjoy you doing your own wood work,,,,,,because where you find this stuff in the condition you do, is one of the worlds mysteries best left unsolved and non stated in mixed company.:)LOL

ByronF

FALaholic #
I'd like to see these when you're done! (y)

Take a lot of before and after pictures please and post them here.

I've had a longish run of "normal stuff" lately, nothing of note repair wise to speak about.
Got some, broken beyond repair stuff being mailed in, but not here yet.

Should clean up right nice.

To be honest,,,,,,I most enjoy you doing your own wood work,,,,,,because where you find this stuff in the condition you do, is one of the worlds mysteries best left unsolved and non stated in mixed company.:)LOL
I suspect I'm a magnet-fisherman-whisperer. Dont know how else to explain some of the shotgun stocks.. These grips had TERRIFIC patina from a thousand dry fire finger bangs after changing the vehicles oil and may be eating hot wings. Had that dark brown-red if WW2 Garands. Hated to strip that but work gotta happen.

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I suspect I'm a magnet-fisherman-whisperer. Dont know how else to explain some of the shotgun stocks.. These grips had TERRIFIC patina from a thousand dry fire finger bangs after changing the vehicles oil and may be eating hot wings. Had that dark brown-red if WW2 Garands. Hated to strip that but work gotta happen.

I've used French Red stain/dye mixed with a little dark walnut dye on the older Ruger grips, to get that "Garand" color and shade of the older ones.

ByronF

FALaholic #
My nephew is becoming a near genius at repairing Lionel traims, and now restoring old 70's era Honda 90 cycles.

His grandpa (My dad) showed him a nice bike in Facebook that didn't need much if anything. Nephew's response was "what's the point?". Dad thought that was hilarious. But I totally get it! The solving of the riddle, the mental gymnastics of figuring it out is what that boy thrives on. Give him a shiny new shotgun? It'll go in the closet. Find an old Monkey Wards JMB pump gun from 1940's? He's crazy as a shithouse rat for it.

ByronF

FALaholic #
Thinking to approach in two facets. So that the most visible section is a single repair I'll start with the front edge of the grip, which reduced by the previous artistry. Here you can see the front edge of left panel is too thin. Below index finger.
1720368439609615968581.jpg

This piece of old Remington buttstock is wide enough to make the repair. Wish I had a band saw, I think I could whittle back the entire low spot and epoxy in a single patch.
17203685696691140792851.jpg

ByronF

FALaholic #
Facets are roughed in with a file. Next I suppose I'll cut the patch for front angled facet, dress in with chisels, glue up, then shave the repair chunk to blend with the side facet. Then repeat the repair.
1720369831908-1391360996.jpg