• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Updated 6/13/24 (new stuff) From the Bench,,,,,,,,,,(How to) all in one running thread/

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I've posted up how I do some of this wood work over the years, stand alone pieces, and with time, they get buried in the volume of the threads here.
To the point I can't even locate them, so,,,,,will try and post up here, interesting stuff, I hope, on how I do these repairs, finishes, cleaning, stripping and prep work.
All in a running format, just adding stuff as it comes across my benches.

Everyone does this type work different somewhat, which is fine, this is how I do it.
I learned from my old man, and I assure everyone, there have been many times, I wish I'd paid better attention, and or had the old fellow available so I could pick up a phone and say,,,,help, with this or that,,,:)LOL

As always, all comments welcomed, you got another way to do something, I'd love to hear and see it.

For the old timers here, that know most everything about this,,,a review,,,,but this is for the folks just starting out, to give you a place to start, see how this type wood work is done.

It will be picture heavy,,and with less commentary, if you got questions, ask them,,,,,

Happy to help.
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
010.JPG
013.JPG
015.JPG
019.JPG
020.JPG
022.JPG
026.JPG
027.JPG
004.JPG

The first sets up above are Indian hand guards.
One panel was missing the wood that fits into the rear retainer ring,,,,,so took a section to replace it from donor aussi panels laying here, trimmed it fit, glued it down, and then trimmed it up.
When this piece broke off, it also took a hunk off the rear outside top of the panel, since it can be seen, took the donor piece from an old Indian panel, cut and fit it in place, once dried, up, will take it down to proper shape and contour.
The other side, was also missing a small piece on the top of the hand guard ring, so replaced it, to be trimmed to fit once dry.
The aussi guards, down below,,,,,it has cavities around the metal where the hand guard screw goes, common, you dig out all the rot, and fill with a donor piece of coachwood, then trim and finish to contour.

When you're replacing wood, adding wood like above, note most of the donor pieces are well over sized, its so I can work them, fit them, hold them, as I trim them,,,,,

The one panel has a four or five inch donor piece sticking out, for a less than one inch repair area,,,,just easier to slap that in there, glue up, and clamp, once dry, I use a Japanese pull cut saw, and dremel with 80 grit drum,, then hand finish,,,,takes less time than writing this sentence.

I'll post up the completed repair pictures when I finish off these pieces,,,,,

I use a dremel,,,,,with a half inch 80 grit sanding drum, to quickly rough out the proper shape, contour, then finish the repair with normal sand paper.

Last edited:

DakTo

MadMinuteDude
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
This is the type of restoration I call a labor of love. Most of us would either trash damaged wood, pass it off to someone else or throw it in drawer in the work bench and forget about it over time.
This is not hit or miss work as it takes a carefully understanding how to make the repair fit, match and envision how it will look like when completed.

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
This is the type of restoration I call a labor of love. Most of us would either trash damaged wood, pass it off to someone else or throw it in drawer in the work bench and forget about it over time.
This is not hit or miss work as it takes a carefully understanding how to make the repair fit, match and envision how it will look like when completed.

It is not how I envisioned my "golden years", ;) ,,,,in full on retirement,,,,but it gives me something to do everyday, and I do enjoy the challenge.

Broken beyond repair stuff, is simply "fun" to put back together.

I'm busted,,,I do love the work.(y)

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
They say a woodworker can never have too many clamps. Are you sure you have enough? I think you should raid Harbor Freight for more; you may need them!
If ya still got room for a clamp on a piece of wood you're working on,,,ya just ain't used enough clamps!:)LOL

You place a ton of pressure in one spot,,,,wood "gives" and it will "move/rise" up in another spot overnight.

I got busted once, raiding a garbage can at a large conference when it ended, digging out all the name tags for the little clip on's for name tags, to get the small clips for wood working on tiny pieces.:)LOL

Still use them all these years later too!:)LOL

Last edited:

DakTo

MadMinuteDude
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
It is not how I envisioned my "golden years", ;) ,,,,in full on retirement,,,,but it gives me something to do everyday, and I do enjoy the challenge.

Broken beyond repair stuff, is simply "fun" to put back together.

I'm busted,,,I do love the work.(y)
Just wondering if you have refinished those unwanted buttstocks I sent you. Are you holding off until your 90s?

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Just wondering if you have refinished those unwanted buttstocks I sent you. Are you holding off until your 90s?
I have no idea,,,,,,I just move from one pile to the next, grab this when needed, or that,,,this comes in, this goes out the door done, just an endless cycle, in and out.

Got a large box full of pistol grips years ago,,,2 bucks a throw, maybe, can't remember how many of those, I've exchanged, gave away to have a better one than what was sent in from folks.

These Indian guards that came in,,,an old member gave me a couple of spare Indian panels years ago, they sat here for ages, waiting for a new home, and I used the second one to make up this set, since one panel was fubar.

Anything gifted,,,gets re-gifted out to folks when they need it.

One member gifted me a cut down 1917 walnut stock,,,,that thing has "saved" countless pieces for people over the years, that old walnut is hard to find. Its in pieces today, and the pieces seem to get smaller and smaller.:)LOL

alphadog58

FALaholic #
^^^^. I have a P14 walnut stock that has been a parts source for years. Now I gotta get going on fixing those P14 hand guards that got messed up when they made them into DP rifles. I see you use Titebond glue. I'm still a fan of West System epoxy with their adhesive filler in it. Color to shade with gelcoat pigment.
Larry

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
^^^^. I have a P14 walnut stock that has been a parts source for years. Now I gotta get going on fixing those P14 hand guards that got messed up when they made them into DP rifles. I see you use Titebond glue. I'm still a fan of West System epoxy with their adhesive filler in it. Color to shade with gelcoat pigment.
Larry

I like Titebond III,,,,its water proof,,,and I place so much poundage/force/pressure on glue joints, the large ones, it ain't never coming apart or failing along the glue joint.

And, refinishing these pieces,,,,its easier for me, to use glue, and remove any excess, damp rag, before dye and oil goes on than epoxy.

A proper glue joint, put together tight, and clamped, is as strong or stronger than the wood fibers.

When I replace large "chunks" of wood, I also cut out the bad section with an angle/ mostly undercut, and then fit the donor piece into that with the same angle. I did a saw tooth joint on a front end a while back, replaced the front end on a Remington 700 stock that had a busted nose,,,,the owner loved it,,,,said it looked "decorative" me,,,,,I was just worried it might break off again.:)LOL

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Getting there on the repairs, for the Indian hand guards and the set of Aussi's.

Had to pull down my hand guard fitting test rifle that lives out in the shop,,,,,an L1A1 built of course by @gunplumber, with a fancy set of wood on them.

The pictures depict finishing off the repairs, use of "burn in", a polymer resin that come in various colors, to fill in around small holes, etc, and adding reinforcements to back up thin repairs, etc.

002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
007.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG
012.JPG
014.JPG
015.JPG
019.JPG
020.JPG
022.JPG
023.JPG
025.JPG
029.JPG
033.JPG
034.JPG
036.JPG
041.JPG
044.JPG
045.JPG

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
When you place and cut the reinforcements, just sand down where they fit, about 1/16th deep, then take a walnut dowel, trim off what you need to fill the area with, and glue down tight.

Then simply trim/sand off everything back to normal and you're all done.

You leave a thin piece of wood over the repair, which adds strength to the repair.

Also hides the glue joints.:)LOL

L Haney

Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I've got a half inch wood chisle was my dad's. Think it's the only tool of his I possess. He was at best a rough and ready sort at wood repairs. That wood handled, nothing special chisle now is polished up and has an edge. I invite dad along with me every time I apply that thing to something needs the attention of a really fine edge. I hope he approves.

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I've got a half inch wood chisle was my dad's. Think it's the only tool of his I possess. He was at best a rough and ready sort at wood repairs. That wood handled, nothing special chisle now is polished up and has an edge. I invite dad along with me every time I apply that thing to something needs the attention of a really fine edge. I hope he approves.

My "cousins" cleaned out pops wood working hand tools when he died,,,,,which is fine with me,,,,,the old man taught me how to use them, which is always better.

I got one of his "Old Henry" pocket knives,,,,you can perform surgery with that edge to this day.

Our dads knew how to do "stuff",,,,far better than today's youth.

alphadog58

FALaholic #
Nice work! Those Japanese style pull saws are the shits! Used to do a lot of boat work, every screw is counterbored and filled with bungs. Them saws make short work of trimming the bungs. Once replaced a cabin sole in an Ericson 38. Had over 400 bungs to flush cut...
Larry

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Nice work! Those Japanese style pull saws are the shits! Used to do a lot of boat work, every screw is counterbored and filled with bungs. Them saws make short work of trimming the bungs. Once replaced a cabin sole in an Ericson 38. Had over 400 bungs to flush cut...
Larry
Yes they do!
I have a nice Jap set,,,,won't use it, far toooooo nice for my rowdy benches, but that Irwin works for its living daily.

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Getting someplace with the Indians, both hand fitted nice, both now under color.

Pictures show the last reinforcements being trimmed down

And also, how to hide the repairs, which always come out a little lighter than the original wood, because the repair pieces get sanded down below the patina.

003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
016.JPG
019.JPG
025.JPG
026.JPG
027.JPG
028.JPG
029.JPG
032.JPG
033.JPG
034.JPG
035.JPG
021.JPG

It takes very little dye to make up a batch for coloring stocks, etc,,I use a dry powder dye, mixed with denatured alcohol, and a a little goes a long way.
If you want your wood darker, add more dye or less alcohol.
Light brown, darker brown and black, can make up about any color/shade you want for gun stocks.

On these Indians, I used North American walnut, which has a reddish tint to it and is darker.

The drill bit picture, is a special tool made for me by a friend here, used to clean out recoil tube holes, simply hand screw the butt down a couple of times, now you got a perfect fit, snug, but not needing to be pounded on.

The wood pieces, on the table with the band saw, and small chop saw,,,,walnut, beech, popular, etc, pieces of old gun stocks, for pulling pieces to make up repairs.

The L1A1 guards above, began the process of hiding the replacement wood pieces on the nose today,,,,,,,simply mix oil with the dye I used on them yesterday, brush on, let dry overnight, see how it looks, add, or knock off a little, then oil guards normally, until the repairs disappear.

I did not add those photos, will do so below.

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Its always a good day when you get a bunch to this stage, final finishing, and about ready to go home.
The Indians...
007.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG

The white butt and grip to match to the finished hand guard,,,,mixing colors is always hit or miss, takes a few tries, got lucky this morning, 1st go around, got a match.

013.JPG

When you're matching colors and shades to existing pieces,,,,ya "sneak up on" what you want for final color and shade of the pieces you're working on,,,,,starting out light, and going dark until you get a match, without going too dark.

The aussi set, I had the owners name in it, so in the next installment before sending home.

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Just an update on the Indians and also a warning,,,,when you're looking at a deadline,,,,to mail stuff home, like tomorrow,,,,,,don't use a new type product yesterday, and then be surprised today, when the stuff did not play well with your other stuff already on the piece,,,,,,as in,,,,what I used for touch up, did not dry in 36 hours,,,so off it came and back to the regular old stand by's.:)LOL

An orderly, neat, and well organized shipping department!

An understanding wife is a must.
001.JPG
002.JPG
005.JPG