• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Training Knife

rowjimmy

Purveyor of Truth
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I figured I'd post this here to get the most knowledgeable replies since it's kinda knife related.

I was walking the dog on one of the state park trails near my house and found a relatively new looking (maybe brand new) Kershaw Training Knife.

So my first question is, what are these for? I did some martial arts trianing with rubber knives previously, but this doesn't seem like it would be appropriate for combative use, but maybe I'm way off base.

Is it something you'd use to teach a kid how to properly handle a knife? I'm wondering if a kid didn't drop it on the trail. I had a real pocket knife when I was 8 or 9, so i'm not sure what age this would be intended for.

You guys have any insights?

Papadoc

FALaholic #
Used for combat knife fighting training. With one of these you can practice draw stroke, as well as attack methods. Lot of modern knife/self-defense training use these. The rubber ones are good, but do not fold and fit in pocket like these so practicing the draw from pocket clip carry for instance can not be done (at least not as easily).

rowjimmy

Purveyor of Truth
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Thanks guys, so apparently some guy who walks the trail fancies himself a knife-fighter in training. Interesting.

Maybe one of the DCNR guys lost it. I saw one standing outside the ranger station wearing a tactical vest. 🤷‍♂️

brunop

Refresh Key Masher
Staff member
Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
I figured I'd post this here to get the most knowledgeable replies since it's kinda knife related.

I was walking the dog on one of the state park trails near my house and found a relatively new looking (maybe brand new) Kershaw Training Knife.

So my first question is, what are these for? I did some martial arts trianing with rubber knives previously, but this doesn't seem like it would be appropriate for combative use, but maybe I'm way off base.

Is it something you'd use to teach a kid how to properly handle a knife? I'm wondering if a kid didn't drop it on the trail. I had a real pocket knife when I was 8 or 9, so i'm not sure what age this would be intended for.

You guys have any insights?
Emerson "wave" feature is the little 'hook' on top of the spine near the handle.

When stored tip down (iirc) you can catch that little hook on the pocket of your jeans and snap that blade open faster than any automatic you can get out of your pants.

It's specifically for 'self-defense' training for people that use the Emerson 'wave' folders and the Emerson 'wave' karambits - though the karambit users would just practice for getting the knife out and 'up' with the 'wave' feature since it's not a karambit itself.

rowjimmy

Purveyor of Truth
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Emerson "wave" feature is the little 'hook' on top of the spine near the handle.

When stored tip down (iirc) you can catch that little hook on the pocket of your jeans and snap that blade open faster than any automatic you can get out of your pants.

It's specifically for 'self-defense' training for people that use the Emerson 'wave' folders and the Emerson 'wave' karambits - though the karambit users would just practice for getting the knife out and 'up' with the 'wave' feature since it's not a karambit itself.
I can get down to a .9s dry fire presentation time with my G17, and first shot as soon as 1.2-1.3 s depending on target distance.

I'll work on upping my game... or maintaining my distance. 😐

Thanks for the info, I read some of that on the links Mebs shared.

It is an interesting feature. Maybe this is a sign I need to work on this skill, but there are so many other things I suck at.

Mebsuta

Khemi, Stygia
Contributor
FALaholic #
I saw one standing outside the ranger station wearing a tactical vest. 🤷‍♂️
I saw a guy in Bass Pro wearing a shemagh.

I thought, "Dang, I didn't know the PLO was fishing at Ray Hubbard today."

I was probly wearing something retartet, so we nodded at each other.

Last edited:

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
FALaholic #
I bought one of those .

I’m not sure where it is at this point. You didn’t happen to find a set of Toyota keys and house keys and a PO Box key with the knife? If you did, I’d like to have the keys back. You can keep the Kershaw.

It’s for practicing opening knives that have the “wave” hook on the back of the blade.

You hook the hook on the edge of your pocket as you draw the knife out of your pocket.

You’ll probably still fuck up a good pair of pants and/or cut yourself if you play around with a sharp knife that has that type of blade.

rowjimmy

Purveyor of Truth
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I bought one of those .

I’m not sure where it is at this point. You didn’t happen to find a set of Toyota keys and house keys and a PO Box key with the knife? If you did, I’d like to have the keys back. You can keep the Kershaw.

It’s for practicing opening knives that have the “wave” hook on the back of the blade.

You hook the hook on the edge of your pocket as you draw the knife out of your pocket.

You’ll probably still fuck up a good pair of pants and/or cut yourself if you play around with a sharp knife that has that type of blade.

You know me. I remember when I got my first real Ka-Bar and was flipping it and catching it in my bedroom. Then, on one flip, the blade bit my thumb. It bled pretty good, those blades are sharp.

No keys found in the area. I'll look harder next time I'm up there....

brunop

Refresh Key Masher
Staff member
Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
I can get down to a .9s dry fire presentation time with my G17, and first shot as soon as 1.2-1.3 s depending on target distance.

I'll work on upping my game... or maintaining my distance. 😐

Good.

I meant "automatic knife", but yeah - same / same.

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
FALaholic #
Maybe I’m just a klutz.

But I find ZERO speed-of-deployment advantage with a side-opener switch-blade by comparison to a non-automatic thumb-stud knife. In fact, I think the side-opener is even slower on average.

I’d say deployment speed is about equal for out-the-front.

Most importantly, I have a superior GRIP on the thumb-stud knife at the moment of full deployment by comparison to ANY flavor of automatic knife.

With automatics, there’s always this “moment of diddling” that ruins it for me. Maybe with practice, that moment would get shorter. But I can’t see it ever going away completely. So for me that’s a problem.

Then don’t even get me started on the automatics that utilize a secondary lock as some sort of “safety” to prevent the blade from deploying unintentionally in your pocket. SUPER-DIDDLING accessory feature to fuck everything up.

Last edited:

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
FALaholic #
I'm sticking with guns, way less complicated.
A good fixed blade is worthwhile as a direct combat accessory.

I’ve been involved one way or another with sufficient number of various folding-knife incidents to feel that I’m entitled to share an informed opinion. The percentage where the folding knife simply broke really surprised me. The vast majority of run-of-the-mill folding knives cannot be trusted to remain intact when two determined, strong and men are fighting with no rules. Count on getting ONLY ONE STRIKE with your folding knife in combat. After that, all bets are off.

rowjimmy

Purveyor of Truth
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
A good fixed blade is worthwhile as a direct combat accessory.

I’ve been involved one way or another with sufficient number of various folding-knife incidents to feel that I’m entitled to share an informed opinion. The percentage where the folding knife simply broke really surprised me. The vast majority of run-of-the-mill folding knives cannot be trusted to remain intact when two determined, strong and men are fighting with no rules. Count on getting ONLY ONE STRIKE with your folding knife in combat. After that, all bets are off.
I've got fixed blades on all my war belts. But I don't really know how to use them... 🤣

rowjimmy

Purveyor of Truth
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
So I tried this drawstroke and it can be a quick presentation. It just seems like it’s “iffy” contingent upon catching the pocket just right.

it seems like different styles of pants and different stretchability of fabrics could make it unreliable.

I’m not knocking it, but I’ll stick with my G17 and bench made folder.

Last edited:

brunop

Refresh Key Masher
Staff member
Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
So I tried this drawstroke and it can be a quick presentation. It just seems like it’s “iffy” contingent upon catching the pocket just right.

it seems like different styles of pants and different stretchability of fabrics could make it unreliable.

I’m not knocking it, but I’ll stick with my G17 and bench made folder.
Whatever pants I'm wearing, they catch that little Emerson Wave like clock-work.

But I'm fatter than you.