• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Trade in S&W 65-8 $500

raubvogel

Contributor
FALaholic #
Have no idea if price is good or bad, but thought someone might be interested. But, I do have a few questions

This is the -8 model, which incorporated the 2 piece barrel.
Two piece barrel? Where is piece 1 vs piece 2? Also, If this was supposed to be a "Law Enforcement trade-in," who was using it?

Also, is this a duck foot revolver?
S&W65-8_01.png

Timber Wolf

FALaholic #
Meh. Lock, no rear sight, 4 inch (I might get excited about a 3”), two piece barrel, etc., etc. I can’t work up any love for one. Barrel covered by a shroud = two pieces. Duck foot?

whisky_n_hot_dogs

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
A smith two-piece barrel has two concentric parts- the barrel which is pressed into the frame and a sleeve (having the sight and ejector rod catch) pushed over the barrel. Time and cost saving technique. This one appears to have a cap on the end which makes it look like a one-piece barrel.
Pictures will only tell you the exterior issues if any. What you won't find out until you get your hands on it is if the timing is still good.

I have a beat up model 64 DAO that looked like shit but still had good timing. I paid $300. $500 price has my interest if the very good rating isn't bullshit to get them out of inventory.

raubvogel

Contributor
FALaholic #
Duck foot?

A smith two-piece barrel has two concentric parts- the barrel which is pressed into the frame and a sleeve (having the sight and ejector rod catch) pushed over the barrel. Time and cost saving technique. This one appears to have a cap on the end which makes it look like a one-piece barrel.
Ohm you mean like a Dan Wesson revolver?

Will C

Contributor
FALaholic #
The lock and 2-piece barrel are things I avoid, however I already have a small collection of older S&Ws that were made before the lawyers and bean counters got their fingers completely into the pie. At $500 if you get a “good one” out of the pile may be a decent value, but I’d much rather be able to pick out an individual gun than take pot luck.

Wildcat

FALaholic #
Close.
Here's a slight illustration:
1644559853219.png
Simply imagine that the shroud and barrel are 4".

The shroud gets slid onto the barrel (from the breech end), then the barrel is threaded into the frame, capturing the shroud.
There is a lug protruding from the front surface of the frame that is supposed engage the shroud and prevent its rotation.
The funny looking installation tool (you don't get one) is twisted into the barrel's rifling and a torque wrench is used on the tool to develop final tension in the barrel and compression in the shroud.

Muzzle looks like this:
1644560980716.png

Actually gun from the OP might look more like this one:
1644562921201.png

Last edited:

whisky_n_hot_dogs

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Close.
Here's a slight illustration:
View attachment 180373
Simply imagine that the shroud and barrel are 4".

The shroud gets slid onto the barrel (from the breech end), then the barrel is threaded into the frame, capturing the shroud.
There is a lug protruding from the front surface of the frame that is supposed engage the shroud and prevent its rotation.
The funny looking installation tool (you don't get one) is twisted into the barrel's rifling and a torque wrench is used on the tool to develop final tension in the barrel and compression in the shroud.

Muzzle looks like this:
View attachment 180374

Actually gun from the OP might look more like this one:
View attachment 180375
I am corrected. I thought everything was still a press fit. No, I don't own any new production Smiths and it shows.