• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Toyotas of War

Story

FALaholic #
Free 4WD Toyota for the price of a few bullets and a visit by the SAFELITE AUTO GLASS guys (if you're picky or melt from rain), what's not to love?

FALaholic #
My 98 4Runner with manual trans is at 340,000 mile but the 5vzfe motor has developed a stutter. Dammit. Been thru mud, snow, mountains, desert , Kansas City and finally let me down.

Jarhead504

FALaholic #
Yes, that's probably much like a Hilux you'd see literally everywhere but here. Our EPA won't let Toyota sell those here due to our air quality regulations.
One of the BCR s (Bower's Cult Regulars) on the snugbus brought a Hi-Lux over from Europe with NO engine (thanks to the retards in DC). He had a Mercedes diesel installed. I am sure it took mechanical finesse and genius to mate it to the tranny, IIRC. He gave it to his wife who love it and REFUSES to let anyone else drive it.

Jarhead

easttex

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
My 98 4Runner with manual trans is at 340,000 mile but the 5vzfe motor has developed a stutter. Dammit. Been thru mud, snow, mountains, desert , Kansas City and finally let me down.
Well, shit! 340,000 miles? It's not her fault; she's tired. Time for a rebuilt engine and tranny and she'll be good for another 340,000 miles.

One of the BCR s (Bower's Cult Regulars) on the snugbus brought a Hi-Lux over from Europe with NO engine (thanks to the retards in DC). He had a Mercedes diesel installed. I am sure it took mechanical finesse and genius to mate it to the tranny, IIRC. He gave it to his wife who love it and REFUSES to let anyone else drive it.

Jarhead
Back when I was driving a Toyota pick up, I research their repair quite a bit. There's actually whole cottage industry behind swapping engines in them. The GM 3.8L V6 was a popular conversion in the pre-Tacoma trucks 30 years ago. But he'll, I've seen Toyota pickups with Chevy 350s swapped in (tight fit!).

I'd bet a Toyota with a small Mercedes diesel would run like a top. One of the Isuzu diesels out of a FedEx van would probably be reliable as well.

jdowney

FALaholic #
A few years ago I had so much wet firewood in my 1987 Toyota that I had to put it in low range to drive the 2 miles back to my house. Hubs out of course. I love manual hubs, you can do all sorts of dumb shit like get away with 3 tons of wood in a half ton truck!