• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Toyota Tacoma: 2023 or 2024 model?

Old Sarge

Contributor
FALaholic #
I just went through this. I wanted a Silver, with a 6 foot bed, 4x4 with the V6 before they did away with it. Pickings were pretty slim to say the least. I got a Silver, double cab, 4x4, V6 with a short bed. I would have preferred the longer bed but not available here in TX.

I was watching a YouTube vid a few days later and some dude in OR shows a dealers lot with just what I was looking for. Go figure.

Old Sarge

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
FALaholic #
What year is your Toyota? The tire pressure sensor started malfunctioning (light always on) a couple months ago on my RAV4. It's a 2012 and the first/only thing to ever have an issue on the car so I can't complain. I just ignore the light and keep an eye on the tire pressure like I did on all my prior cars that didn't have that gizmo.

The batteries are only estimated to be good for 7 years.

And you can't just replace the batteries. You have to replace the whole fucking sensor.

I have two Yota's - a 2010 Camry and 2007 4Runner.
We have annual safety inspection requirement in Virginia.
Law says you FAIL inspection if a TPMS light is on.

You can google how to disable the light. Involves splicing a couple wires.
Process is the same on most Yota's.
Access to the wires is a little different obviously.

Here's how to disable your RAV4

Impala_Guy

FALaholic #
One more thing to consider. The Toyota inline 4 cyl is a miracle of modern engineering. Wife and I have had 4 cars over the last 20 plus years with that engine. All had 200,000k plus miles on them with nothing but belt, plug and fluid changes and were going strong when we sold them. But even though its a "midsize" truck the Taco crew cab weighs about the same as an F150 from the 90s and that engine doesnt belong.

meltblown

FJB
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
One more thing to consider. The Toyota inline 4 cyl is a miracle of modern engineering. Wife and I have had 4 cars over the last 20 plus years with that engine. All had 200,000k plus miles on them with nothing but belt, plug and fluid changes and were going strong when we sold them. But even though its a "midsize" truck the Taco crew cab weighs about the same as an F150 from the 90s and that engine doesnt belong.
Yup, trucks have grown a lot in the past 30 years. The Tundra was pretty big at one time but now the rest have caught up with them. A Taco is as big as the 1st generation Tundra

meltblown

FJB
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Yup. And Highlanders are the size of the Gen4 4Runners.
I've been pushing the wife to get an NX350 for her next car. It is a turbo 4 banger but is actually more like the size of her old RX350. You need to work on an RX350, you find videos of a Highlander. She wouldn't touch a Rav4, but if it's go a Lexus badge then she's all in.

ratas calientes

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Hmmm . . . and sometimes I do dream of adding a turbo to my '85 Toyota truck. It has a . . . . wait for it . . . . a 22RE engine! Four cylinders of horsepower! And electronic fuel injection! Wow! Talk about anemic. Cruise control consists of just pressing the pedal to the floor and holding it there. Uphill on any interstate? I'm lucky if I can keep up with the flow on the flat. Poor little fella. I just stay in the right lane, and try to ignore the mean looks I get when folks have to pass me. At least the front plate says "FAL".

IMG_20200917_130825558.jpg

Marlin781

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
The batteries are only estimated to be good for 7 years.

And you can't just replace the batteries. You have to replace the whole fucking sensor.

I have two Yota's - a 2010 Camry and 2007 4Runner.
We have annual safety inspection requirement in Virginia.
Law says you FAIL inspection if a TPMS light is on.

You can google how to disable the light. Involves splicing a couple wires.
Process is the same on most Yota's.
Access to the wires is a little different obviously.

Here's how to disable your RAV4
Wait a minute! There is a RAV4 world forum? WTF have I been doing wasting all my time here on the FALFiles for?

SWOHFAL

FALaholic #
Underpowered without a turbo and overstressed with one. I agree that it's a good engine, naturally-aspirated.

starbuck

FALaholic #
Hmmm . . . and sometimes I do dream of adding a turbo to my '85 Toyota truck. It has a . . . . wait for it . . . . a 22RE engine! Four cylinders of horsepower! And electronic fuel injection! Wow! Talk about anemic. Cruise control consists of just pressing the pedal to the floor and holding it there. Uphill on any interstate? I'm lucky if I can keep up with the flow on the flat. Poor little fella. I just stay in the right lane, and try to ignore the mean looks I get when folks have to pass me. At least the front plate says "FAL".

View attachment 383759
I pulled a boat down interstate 75 with one of those when I was 16. Stopped in TN to swap the radiator because I had to run the heater full blast to keep it from overheating. I'd have to agree with the 4 banger being anemic. I rented a TRD last year in Albuquerque, it also seemed a little anemic on the hills. It went, but made a lot of noise doing so. I think it may have even been a 6 cylinder.

Marlin781

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
have you looked at the Honda Ridgeline? I love mine. AWD and Unibody construction (I like Toyota's too as we have a 2017 4Runner that my wife loves). Just saying take a look.
It was a close tossup between that and the Taco. Wife and I went back and forth. Not second guessing my choice now!

jhirte

FALaholic #
I had a 2017 TRD Pro. It was a fun and capable rig for our needs at the time.

Ended up upgrading to 2020 TRD Pro Tundra, as we needed a bigger truck to haul all our shit and the dogs on vacations. No regrets.

ETA: would consider another Tacoma if we had a need and able to downsize.

Tacomaworld should have some good info and experiences/reviews on the 2024's...

Last edited:

Douglas S Graham

FALaholic #
The older Tacos had AT tranmission shift issues, that most people hated. NOW they had to fck things up by deleting the V6?? Toyota masters have their heads up their asses , apparently. Give the PEOPLE what the PEOPLE want!!!!

Impala_Guy

FALaholic #
Yup. And Highlanders are the size of the Gen4 4Runners.
I have the 4dr crew cab Tacoma with the 6ft bed. The wheelbase is longer than a standard 5ft bed crew cab or 6' bed extracab Taco. But the backseat on mine is pretty uncomfortable if you are over 5' 10". What they should have done was offered the longer Taco with the 4Runners sized cabin and rear seat and a 5ft bed, that would have been awesome.

SWOHFAL

FALaholic #
The older Tacos had AT tranmission shift issues, that most people hated. NOW they had to fck things up by deleting the V6?? Toyota masters have their heads up their asses , apparently. Give the PEOPLE what the PEOPLE want!!!!
It's about appeasing bureaucrats and politicians - "free" markets and all that.

Abominog

FALaholic #
I just saw this thread. Shocked! WTF going to a 4 cyl. Screw that. It’s almost time to replace the 4Runner and it WILL have a 6, no matter how old or used I have to buy.

SWOHFAL

FALaholic #
There's another vid by the head of Toyota engineering that promises its just as reliable as the old V-6. That said, the turbo four does actually perform better than the six and the transmission is apparently better too (but a redesigned variant of what's on the Camry), but the reliability is the elephant in the room for these. The block is a two piece unit, as are the heads, supposedly to add enough metal for rigidity yet allow them to be disassembled to service.

You can probably get ~200K out of one, but doubt it will be one you can drive 500K+ ...and you may need a few front diffs during that time.

Last edited:

jimmbob

unreparated
Contributor
FALaholic #
considering buying a 4runner in the next year or so.

Any feedback on the V8 ones from 2003 until a few years later. Just a short run of them V8s for 4-5 years I think

I always heard the 4 banger 22r was much better than the V6 but from comments here it seems as though the V6 is better