• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Toyota Tacoma: 2023 or 2024 model?

tac-40

Moderator, Armed Curmudgeon
Staff member
FALaholic #
If your large cargo carrying duties are pretty much the firewood, I would stick with the 4 Runner and V6. Just get you a utility trailer for hauling the firewood. $750 will get you a decent 3/4 ton capacity trailer the 4 Runner will tow easily. A light pickup can't compare to that and you risk damage to the bed with loose loads like that.

SWOHFAL

FALaholic #
For a Taco stick with the 6 cylinder. Turbo is one more expensive thing to break, and is harder on the rest of the engine as well being forced induction.
That's not an option anymore - four cylinder or four cylinder turbo. Almost no Toyota has a six anymore that isn't turbocharged to sub as a V-8.

Douglas S Graham

FALaholic #
My Nissan (2022), V6, no turblows, and 316 HP. I love my Frontier!!! Woulda' looked at Tacos, but not a 4 cyl. turblow. With a turbo you SHOULD run hi test, and when those fckers go south, better have a big bank account. I worked in a dealership for 10 years, saw it all. And it AIN"T pretty sometimes folks!!

meltblown

FJB
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I went 2wd pre-runner double cab with the last one and now consider it a mistake. I was driving 7hrs each way from IL to KY every week and thought it would get better highway mileage. It not only didn't improve my mileage, the lighter duty front end ended up needed more frequent alignments. I cant imagine that would improve matters with lifting it to nose bleed height. Hitting a pothole that wouldent bother my old 4wd, pretty much guaranteed it needed realignment.
Just my .02, ymmv
Weird, I have not needed to have a front end or 4 wheel alignment in years unless I changed out something related to it. Why the hell are y'all letting my wife drive your vehicles?

meltblown

FJB
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
That's not an option anymore - four cylinder or four cylinder turbo. Almost no Toyota has a six anymore that isn't turbocharged to sub as a V-8.
Yup, my next spend will be buying a newer version V8 Tundra to get me to the end of the line. Although my 2015 only has 105K on the clock. I've put 35K on it over the past 4 1/2 years. My customer has a new Sequoia who gets a smoking deal on a lease and works at the plant has one. It has the hybrid torque system. Drove it and the response was decent. Haven't driven the Tundra without the hybrid system but doubt it comes close to the IForce V8s. Yes, they can get the numbers close, but the powerband is different at the numbers as in they are spinning the engine faster to get to peak ratings. That takes time hence less responsive feel

SWOHFAL

FALaholic #
My Nissan (2022), V6, no turblows, and 316 HP. I love my Frontier!!! Woulda' looked at Tacos, but not a 4 cyl. turblow. With a turbo you SHOULD run hi test, and when those fckers go south, better have a big bank account. I worked in a dealership for 10 years, saw it all. And it AIN"T pretty sometimes folks!!
Synthetic oil only on turbos also - no matter what the factory says.

Douglas S Graham

FALaholic #
I run Syn. in all of my vehicles. Price is no object. Oil is the life blood of a vehicle. My 2022 Frontier has 3800 miles on it. LOL. Change the oil once a year, regardless.

Marlin781

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Not sure if it's still a prevalent issue, but you might do some research on the Tacoma 3rd generation (2016-2023) transmission gear hunting complaints.
I was reading reviews on the 2024 Tacomas and did see a mention about the 2023 trannies being a bit clunky and the new ones being better. It looks like the V6 versus turbo4 is going to be the deciding factor though.

cavegeo

Contributor
FALaholic #
Nine months ago bought a Blue Taco with the V6 as I just heard this was the last year for the V6.

I have a 2004 Taco with a 4 cylinder and while not so bad a truck the V6 is just so much better.

Marlin781

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Just came home with a new silver 2023 4x4 double cab Tacoma with the V6. Silver wouldn't have been my first choice for color but it looks decent enough and pickings were slim for the remaining 2023's.

I typically buy new then keep my vehicles until they die so I don't worry about that initial depreciation hit...this should hold its value well anyway.

Appreciate everybody's input!

meltblown

FJB
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Just came home with a new silver 2023 4x4 double cab Tacoma with the V6. Silver wouldn't have been my first choice for color but it looks decent enough and pickings were slim for the remaining 2023's.

I typically buy new then keep my vehicles until they die so I don't worry about that initial depreciation hit...this should hold its value well anyway.

Appreciate everybody's input!
Yup, good choice. 4x4 even better because it will hold good value. I could never justify a 4x4 though my wife's Lexus is all wheel drive with 4X4 capability

kentuckyMarksman

FALaholic #
The question was should he buy a 2023 with the V6 or a 2024 with a turbo'd 4 cylinder. V6 is available in the 2023.

Toyota's decision to not offer V6 in the Tacoma of V8 in the Tundra going forward is certainly regrettable.

I'm glad my old Tundra has a V8.

gunplumber

Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Toyota's decision to not offer V6 in the Tacoma of V8 in the Tundra going forward is certainly regrettable.
I bet it has more to do with government mandates than their decision.

If I was Supreme Muckety Muck, I'd disband all that shit and tell the auto makers to make whatever they think their customers want.

Now I lived in SoCal when the smog was terrible. So I'm not opposed to some government. Can't have your neighbor choking you out with fumes. But to dictate how many of what type of vehicle they can make, regardless of market demands, is not the answer.

gunplumber

Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
I need to disable the TPMS bullshit on mine.
Why would you do that? Do you typically run below 28 PSI? Because I think that's what triggers them. Came in handy to let me know I had a slow leak in one of the tires. Just doesn't say which tire, like my tahoe does. But the "which tire" only helps if the clown at Discount tire identifies it correctly. And changes it when tires are rotated. I thought I had a bad sensor because it kept saying left rear low. It was the right front.

SWOHFAL

FALaholic #
The question was should he buy a 2023 with the V6 or a 2024 with a turbo'd 4 cylinder. V6 is available in the 2023.

I'm glad my old Tundra has a V8.
2023 is last year's model and subject to what you find - no guarantees; 2024 you can order.

SWOHFAL

FALaholic #
Because the sensors took a shit, and the nanny-light is on constantly, and don’t want to buy new ones.
And if Toyota is still the same, only the dealer has the tool to reprogram them and there's an hour's labor plus the $400 or so for the new sensors and getting them installed. I'm glad Honda used the ABS system instead of separate sensors. I forgot all about that shit and I'd reconsider buying a Toyota because of it.

Marlin781

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Because the sensors took a shit, and the nanny-light is on constantly, and don’t want to buy new ones.
What year is your Toyota? The tire pressure sensor started malfunctioning (light always on) a couple months ago on my RAV4. It's a 2012 and the first/only thing to ever have an issue on the car so I can't complain. I just ignore the light and keep an eye on the tire pressure like I did on all my prior cars that didn't have that gizmo.

SWOHFAL

FALaholic #
What year is your Toyota? The tire pressure sensor started malfunctioning (light always on) a couple months ago on my RAV4. It's a 2012 and the first/only thing to ever have an issue on the car so I can't complain. I just ignore the light and keep an eye on the tire pressure like I did on all my prior cars that didn't have that gizmo.
They have batteries in them, so they only last so long, unless your wife curbs them first.