• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Totally random question, do you recall the very FIRST thing you ever cooked 100% on your own?

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Them directions bring back fun memories from scout campouts

when nobodys lookin sneak a can of beans unopened into the coals of the campfire then nonchalontly get some distance with a good view and watch the action unfold, learned a lot in the scouts
We always had some newby not knowing to punch a small hole in his dinner can before sticking it up against a heat source,,,,ka-boom time for sure.

badzero

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
The kitchen was my mom’s domain and trespass wasn’t allowed, so cans of shit in a fire with my friends, when I was a kid. But totally on my own would have been grill cheese sandwiches in the barracks cooked with an iron after ironing a uniform, a little dry from the lack of butter but edible.

WrenchNHammer

FALaholic #
I don't remember clearly but it was probably 7th or 8th grade when I started making pancakes or waffles from scratch - Mom grew up on a farm so pre-mixed anything was an alien concept to me. I started making cakes and other desserts from scratch when I was in high school because I was on the wrestling team and was always hungry.

I still make pancakes for my 12 year-old - mini-choco-chips with Aunt Jemima pre-mix mostly because he likes to ask for a certain number of a certain size and it's difficult to dial in the egg/ingredient ratio.

I also cook authentic Mexican food when I have time for it. I made Carnitas for my advanced Army MOS school class and two soldiers (both born in Mexico and immigrated as children) were begging me for the leftovers. I never use canned Frijoles and rarely even measure ingredients nor use a written recipe other than to consider alternative ingredients. Before I got back into the Army reserves - which gave me access to the commissary at local bases over here - I had made my own Tortilla press and was making my own Tortillas.