• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Tip for preventing snap pullouts and material fraying on gear

Rustycelt

FALaholic #
Good evening,
Heard somebody the other day complaining about their gear fraying excessively (yes US made) ,thought I'd just share a little tip I've used for years when dealing with old snaps in nylon or cotton webbing/pouches as well as the actual material itself. Simply get yourself a tube of superglue, and apply in weak areas of fabric, around snaps VERY conservatively. All it does is basically soaks into the material and hardens/bonds it. Use only a tiny bit I say - and you won't even notice the slightly darker spot where you applied the superglue.
If you've used the USGI IIFS LBV and ENLBV a fair amout, the snaps on the sewn on pouches have a tendency to pull out when well used. This works perfectly to solve that problem. Also used this trick to mend frayed nylon boot material

Bamboo762

FALaholic #
Superglue also works to reinforce or harden wood in areas where it is compressed or in need of renewal. Just apply in limited amount and let it soak in. May take a few applications.

yovinny

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
Super glue is some great kit to have around,, lots of uses..
I remember the TV commercials when it first came out. They had a construction worker who would glue his hard hat to a beam and hang from it...lol
I also remember the first time my dad and I got some to try out... :)

Pretty much right off the bat,, I found it worked just amazingly for gluing my fingers together..
And not just only to each other.. oh no,, thats amateur stuff. A hard charger like myself was able to attach my 3 firmly glued together digits,, to the itch I had on my forehead.
But the truly lasting effect was probably more the panic that only started after we realized that we had no clue as to what, if any, solvent would work on this new diabolical satin spawn glue..
Luckily,, I wasent the only dumb ass out there, because a phone call to my aunt the nurse was able to supply us with technical info and expertise that returned me to normal with little lasting damage outside of some psychological trauma...lol ;)

TerryN

FALaholic #
Super glue was originally developed specifically to bond skin together for surgical applications, as in emergency trauma surgery - think BATTLEFIELD applications. The medical development may be one reason that your aunt was familiar with how to 'unglue' skin.

yovinny

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
Super glue was originally developed specifically to bond skin together for surgical applications, as in emergency trauma surgery - think BATTLEFIELD applications. The medical development may be one reason that your aunt was familiar with how to 'unglue' skin.
Really ? I had no idea about that..
I always thought the surgical use came about long after it was originally developed and marketed,,, at least I never heard about any surgical use for probably a good decade after is was offered..

TerryN

FALaholic #
According to Wikipedia, I am incorrect. The compounds were originally developed during WWII for use in gun sights (1942). The scientists rejected it, as it stuck, literally, to everything. In 1951, Kodak began marketing it as an adhesive, then in the 60s, they sold it to Loctite who also marketed it as an adhesive. By the 70s, it was being used in veterinary service to repair damaged turtle shells and bones. Supposedly by 1966, it was being used in an aerosol form to temporarily close wounds and reduce bleeding until the soldier could receive surgical treatment in Vietnam. It wasn't until 1988 that the FDA approved a modified super glue (to reduce skin irritation) for medical use in the US. It is supposedly superior to traditional sutures for stopping bleeding.

I had always heard that super glue was developed for medical use. Guess I was told wrong.

yovinny

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
I had no idea it was developed that long ago..
I never heard about it till those TV commercials I mentioned came out,, I'm guessing maybe mid to late 70's..

TerryN

FALaholic #
I had no idea it was developed that long ago..
I never heard about it till those TV commercials I mentioned came out,, I'm guessing maybe mid to late 70's..
Yeah, that's when I became aware of it, and began using it. I believe that at least until Loctite began marketing it, it was considered a specialty adhesive and was probably only marketed for industrial use.

cotter

FALaholic #
Crazy Glue hung that hard hat from the steel beam high in the sky, factory is right down the road from me.

I have long used water proof wood glue to stop tears in my work clothes from running.