• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

The Mossberg 590S warranty ordeal begins

FUUN063

FALaholic #
I'll have to admit, I did not read all of the posts in this thread. But, the time you have in this thing, I would (and have) simply placed a few drops of weld on the head of that screw. Enough height and small enough diameter to lay a 1/4" nut on it and then weld the drops of weld to the top of the nut. I've done this so many times, it's not funny. Then, unscrew the nut with a wrench. The heat will definitely loosen any type of thread locker, but should not affect the gun itself. I recently purchased a new Remington 700 under the new company's monicker, Remarms. Straight from the box, it had a broken off tap in the front hole used for the scope base. I did not even consider the time and comms it would take to ship it back to the company. I had it out and finished threaded in about 3 hours. Gary, just weld it and be done already.

Leland

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I'll have to admit, I did not read all of the posts in this thread. But, the time you have in this thing, I would (and have) simply placed a few drops of weld on the head of that screw. Enough height and small enough diameter to lay a 1/4" nut on it and then weld the drops of weld to the top of the nut. I've done this so many times, it's not funny. Then, unscrew the nut with a wrench. The heat will definitely loosen any type of thread locker, but should not affect the gun itself. I recently purchased a new Remington 700 under the new company's monicker, Remarms. Straight from the box, it had a broken off tap in the front hole used for the scope base. I did not even consider the time and comms it would take to ship it back to the company. I had it out and finished threaded in about 3 hours. Gary, just weld it and be done already.

Leland
Does Gary have a welder?

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
FALaholic #
December 3, 2023

MPSC
ATTN: Service Ticket ID: 159270
1001 Industrial Blvd.
Eagle Pass, TX 78852

Dear Mossberg:

Please find enclosed one DEFECTIVE Mossberg Model 590S shotgun, Serial number V1796451.

I am the original owner of this shotgun. I purchased it brand new at a local gun store in October 2023.

I have never fired this gun.

This gun is UNSERVICEABLE as the two screws that secure the optic-plate on the receiver are SEIZED beyond hope.

Because the very nature of this gun assumes that this plate will be removed by the owner, I cannot fathom why Mossberg would install the optic-plate in such manner that the owner would be subjected to this amount of difficulty to operate the single unique feature of the gun.

The impossibility of removing this plate prevents me from installing an optic sight. The ability of this gun to accept an optic sight is the only reason why I bought this gun.
I have been completely unable to ever free these screws. I have tried every reasonable method, including impact, heat, penetrating oil, and high torque.
Any greater force to attempt to loosen these screws is likely to cause permanent damage to the receiver.

I am extremely concerned that the screws are CROSS-THREADED from the factory.
I say again: I AM EXTREMELY CONCERNED THAT THESE SCREWS ARE CROSS-THREADED FROM THE FACTORY.

Here is a picture of the screws that are seized.

Mossberg screws with arrows.jpg

If the screws are cross-threaded, the receiver is permanently damaged and must be replaced by Mossberg. I will not accept damaged threads on the receiver. Please replace the receiver if the threads for the optic are damaged. I expect the threads for the optic plate to be absolutely pristine and perfect. This is a brand new gun. Ruined threads are unacceptable.

Do not return this gun to me with damaged threads.

Please remove the optic-plate cover on the receiver, and make necessary repairs. Once repaired, please return the gun to me with the optic-plate cover REMOVED. I want to be able to inspect the threads in that area when the gun is returned to me. I direct that under no circumstances shall the cover plate be re-installed on the gun for any reason whatsoever. Please return the optic-plate cover, and the two screws to me in a plastic bag in the same shipping container with the repaired gun.

I say again, DO NOT re-install the optic-plate cover on the receiver, and DO NOT re-install the screws for the cover.

I expect this repair to be covered under Mossberg warranty at no cost to me.

The substantial cost of postage to send this to Mossberg is printed on the postage label. I expect Mossberg to reimburse me the cost of me shipping this defective gun to Mossberg.

Please contact me to inform me of the status of this repair. Please notify me when you plan to ship the gun back to me. I want to be sure that the gun isn’t just left by the delivery person on my front porch while I may be out of town. I do not want the returned gun to be stolen from my porch because I was absent, and not notified of its shipment.

Very disappointed with Mossberg,

G

IMG_0837.jpeg

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
FALaholic #
Fuck.

So my range trip with my nephew tomorrow is canceled.

Mainly because I’m sick. Wife went to Urgent Care today. Confirmed she has fucking COVID.

I just generally feel like shit - in large part over this expensive piece of shit shotgun and all the hassle. And I have the sniffles.

So boo fucking hoo.

I’m DEFINITELY going to the POST OFFICE tomorrow.

Because I’m an asshole.

Maybe I’ll wear a paper mask.

cruzie27

FALaholic #
Why, you'll be running around hooting and shooting shit like Earnest T. Bass in no time. I just know they're gonna fix it up lickety split and ship it back with the cover plate all gronked down good and tight.
I have no idea where WEG lives, but if that happens I’m sure that we will all clearly hear him cursing!

The weld a nut on trick works just about perfect, not sure I would try it on this shotgun though. Knowing my luck I’d blow a hole thru the receiver or melt it into a puddle.

ByronF

FALaholic #
I have no idea where WEG lives, but if that happens I’m sure that we will all clearly hear him cursing!

The weld a nut on trick works just about perfect, not sure I would try it on this shotgun though. Knowing my luck I’d blow a hole thru the receiver or melt it into a puddle.
Aluminum anneals at fairly low temps. Not sure what alloy they use, but I probably would avoid the nut welding trick for fear of softening the ID threads.

Geezah1

FALaholic #
I know I came across it last night, and can't find it now, as I had a similar experience with a Manfrotto ball head I got for my tripod to shoot off of.
I wanted to change the plate around and the steel screw going into the aluminum grip would not budge. Broke the nipple off of my allen wrench.
So, I gave it to my machinist buddy at work and he drilled the head off, and low and behold the screw came right out. Something about steel going into aluminum causes issues. I did get replacement screws from Manfrotto and everything was good with the World...but man I even applied a little heat and no budgie for me...

easttex

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Why, you'll be running around hooting and shooting shit like Earnest T. Bass in no time. I just know they're gonna fix it up lickety split and ship it back with the cover plate all gronked down good and tight.
Gary will get the gun back without a cover plate and screws and the finish will be all scratched up. Then he'll put his optic on it and those screws will lock up and never come out - but he won't find it until it's time to change the batteries.

Or at least, that's how my luck usually goes.

ByronF

FALaholic #
Because WEG is sending it back (the right move) this is just hit talk. If I had to try something If get the over to around 250 and put the stripped receiver in there. Have a padded vice and tools ready, chicken-mit that toasty bitch to the vice and give it a go. Errybody knows aluminum expands quite a lot when heated (more than steel) so the screw might loosen.

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
FALaholic #
When I bought my used S-10 for $700, it had a brand new set of (unbalanced) tires on it. So I basically bought a set of tires and got a free truck with them.

It had only floorboard-bolts, and stubs of the seat belts still present. The bolts had great big TORX heads. After snapping one TORX bit, I heated the TORX bolt cherry-red. Application of ANOTHER torx bit resulted in that bit also snapping.

So I busted out the HF 90-amp, and proceeded to weld big nuts to the tops of the bolts. Bolts and nuts cherry-red. Surrounding floorboard cherry-red. Toxic smoke everywhere.

Every one of those nuts just twisted right off the bolts. I tried to “clean up” the mating surfaces with a grinder. Didn’t make a whit of difference. Nut welded on. Wrench tore it off. Over and over.

I eventually just ground the heads off each bolt, then drilled out each bolt. Went through 10-15 drill bits before the holes were clear. And very UN-THREADED and oversized. The new seat belts are now bolted to the floorboard via a bunch of fat bolts and an assemblage of fender-washers, JB-Weld and several butt-plug bottles of RED Loctite.

I am YET to successfully weld or repair anything with the 90-amp. But I have used it to make spatter, and melt some bits of scrap metal.

I was gonna take the evening welding class at Northern Virginia Community College. Maybe get my dumpster-repair certificate. Then COVID happened, and they were making everyone at the college wear those stupid fucking do-nothing paper masks in welding class. So I decided to keep my several thousand dollars tuition, and just stay home and beat my meat or such. I still get the dumpster jobs, but the work I do doesn’t pay as much as the guy who repairs them gets.

I doubt I’m gonna live long enough to use the welder hood to watch another eclipse.

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
FALaholic #
They probly have a mountain of guns for warranty, plus it's deer and bird season, plus everyone will be on PTO until Jan 2.
That’s fine.

I’ll have the same zero real use for it when it comes back as I did before I even bought it.

If it comes back unfucked, I may put ANTISEIZE on the screws. Or I may use LOCTITE 222. I absolutely will smash it if I can’t get it apart a second time.

Maybe I should have written the letter in Spanish.

“YO DIGO OTRA VEZ, NO ME MANDA…”

Last edited:

Jaxxas

Don't Tread On Me!
FALaholic #
Maybe before HULK smash, try to epoxy the driver to an old screw in situ. If it works you can probably order new screws (driver). Otherwise smash, on video preferably....

ymmv