• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

THE GREAT TRAIN THREAD!!..

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
What sort of moron would place oil filters in that orientation? OTOH I see a catch pan under them, so it could be better (but messy) to crack them loose and let them drain before removing them. Are they set up for running filter changes? I've worked with big Cat and Cummins gensets that had shutoffs to each filter for doing hot filter changes.

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
What sort of moron would place oil filters in that orientation? OTOH I see a catch pan under them, so it could be better (but messy) to crack them loose and let them drain before removing them. Are they set up for running filter changes? I've worked with big Cat and Cummins gensets that had shutoffs to each filter for doing hot filter changes.
Filters on a lot of boat engines are completely upside down. The key is to pierce the top of the filter and let it drain back into the sump before removing it.

MilsurpMonkey

Red-headed Step Child
FALaholic #

MilsurpMonkey

Red-headed Step Child
FALaholic #

Then again, maybe not…

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
The Taunton Wa. substation on the Milwaukee mainline west of Othello. This was the first of many between Othello and Tacoma. They took in 100k ac volts and converted that to 3000v dc for the overhead wire. The stations were spaced 30 miles apart. Some downhill trains put power back into the wire to power uphill trains.
taunton 1976.jpg

Story

FALaholic #
30 (!)+ years ago I wrote to the Chinese company making metric copies of Baldwin steam engines. They sent me a nice glossy 8 1/2 x 11 multipage brochure (which I gifted awhile back to one of my buddies).

Some background reading
Steam Rides Again! China Engines, U.S. Rails - The New York Times (nytimes.com)
SMALL US RAILROADS IMPORT STEAM ENGINES FROM CHINA | JOC.com
Baldwin Found Buried in China (trainorders.com) <- note this was in Manchuria.

No trainspotting pics of my own, but the opening to this movie shows they're still in use as film stars.
Note the Pullman cars.

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
30 (!)+ years ago I wrote to the Chinese company making metric copies of Baldwin steam engines. They sent me a nice glossy 8 1/2 x 11 multipage brochure (which I gifted awhile back to one of my buddies).

Some background reading

No trainspotting pics of my own, but the opening to this movie shows they're still in use as film stars.
Note the Pullman cars.
I just happened to see an article today where the Chinese are retiring the last of their working steam locomotives. IIRC it was a coal pit line that was still using them.

Story

FALaholic #

raubvogel

Contributor
FALaholic #

Some background reading

Note the Pullman cars.
I hope they keep trains like that around, as tourist attractions or something.

BTW, that rather entertaining movie is Korean. Actors names are a dead giveaway.