• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Take that, you radial engine perverts !!!!!

EinheitElf

FALaholic #
It did have constant engine cooling problems due to the restricted engine nacelles . Interestingly ,originally the guy at heinkel mainly involved with it actually envisioned an evaporative cooling system for the engines but when more practical minds prevailed thet put the radiators behind the props. Maybe if they would have mounted under the engines it would not have had the issues. I guess they wanted to keep the lines of the bomber streamlined.
Aside from that 'minor' problem i read the aircrews liked the plane,supposedly had very good handling characteristics.

One thing i guess i will never quite get is the constant love of the big glass nose on bombers that the german aircraft industry had at the time... i know there are certain benefits buuuuuut....

J. Armstrong

Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Been a while since I've seen a reference to the He177. Not a lot of info out there on it but I once read that it was plagued with engine problems and fires. Or maybe that was the 3350? Idk, haven't had my coffee yet.
No, the 177 apparently really was a flying fireplace. The causes were a bit complex, but one major issue was the engines were prone to catastrophic failure. When they punched a rod through the crankcase, the escaping oil sprayed onto the exhaust manifolds ................ :rolleyes:

Last edited:

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
No, the 177 apparently really was a flying fireplace. The causes were a bit complex, but one major issue was the engines were prone to catastrophic failure. When they punched a rod through the crankcase, the escaping oil sprayed onto the exhaust manifolds ................ :rolleyes:
Didn't the Avro Manchester (forerunner to the Lancaster) have about the same reputation? IIRC it had twinned V12s in the same nacelles.

J. Armstrong

Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Didn't the Avro Manchester (forerunner to the Lancaster) have about the same reputation? IIRC it had twinned V12s in the same nacelles.
Well, they weren't exactly twinned V12s, but actually 24 cylinders on a single crankcase in an X configuration. But yeah, they had similar problems.

Frenchkat

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I posted earlier in this thread about Merlin's Magic and his blown engine at Reno in2006. Posted a couple of pictures of the engine. Took a lot of pictures those 3 days and came across this on yesterday.

Corncob anyone? Wright R3350
DSCN2598.JPG

Actually, I think this was referred to as the "Corncob". P&W R-4360 Wasp Major (photo courtesy of Wikipeda)

300px-Pratt_&_Whitney_R-4360_Wasp_Major_1.jpg

Last edited:

EinheitElf

FALaholic #
Always thought the Stuka was a cool looking plane for some reason,just something about it... I even had dreams of owning one and when coming in for a landing I would just dive down bomber style, have the 'auto dive pullout' system work and I would just drop onto the runway.... :cool: (y) :LOL: I would have fake 500 and 250 bombs on it for carrying luggage also!
That and it is about the only fixed gear aircraft I would want to own or fly...aside from a WW1 biplane ...no little Cessna 150 for me!!!!!!

I find the JU52 to be a plane I like also for some reason...guess the fact it looks built from corrugated panels does not hurt either! Tri motors are cool.

Regarding the 177, never read there was any problems with the engines themselves as in design flaws... used individually they were fine and when coupled they were fine AS LONG as they could be kept cool. So the issue was with packaging....like I said if they would have tried the underslung radiators instead of behind the props in the nacelles they would have been fine. Having radiators in a tight space and then trying to get that hot air out and blowing it back over the engines and heating them up that way is bad juju...

EinheitElf

FALaholic #
The guys who flew the planes in the teens were real adventurers and brave.

Reading up on all the crazy stuff they did back then is very interesting. Real neat and real weird planes back then.

Then there were the zeppelins. The germans used big maybach diesels to move the zeps because diesel not flammable like gad and when you are in a big hydrogen bag thats a good thing!!

J. Armstrong

Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
SAAF 55 Harvards
Wow, great formation ! Spacing, lines, all really excellent !
The guys who flew the planes in the teens were real adventurers and brave.

Reading up on all the crazy stuff they did back then is very interesting. Real neat and real weird planes back then.

Then there were the zeppelins. The germans used big maybach diesels to move the zeps because diesel not flammable like gad and when you are in a big hydrogen bag thats a good thing!!
Actually, while the Hindenburg used diesels, the Graf Zeppelin used engines that ran on "blaugas" and most all the rest used gasoline. What could go wrong ?