• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Suppressing a 556

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
FALaholic #
Can't hurt to try it.

5.56 doesn't suppress well no matter what you choose.

But you can succeed in significantly reducing flash and clown-world level muzzle blast on short barrels by using any can.

No matter what can you use, if you mag-dump 5.56 without earpro, you will go to bed that night with your ears ringing mightily.

James

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
My hearing already sucks so I can shoot my 556 without muffs using a Silenceco can but I usually still wear them. Trying not to make them worse.
James

Elwarpo

FALaholic #
Friends brought out a bunch of cans. Best sound reduction for 556 12.5", 16" and 20"was with a direct thread AAC Cyclone. Quieter than other cans (subjective but all 6 of us agreed) TBAC Dominus, TBAC 338 Ultra, Bowers Vers 458, Silencerco 46 Hybrid, Surefire SOCOM5.56 RC2,Deadair Sandman S, and Silencer Central Banish 30.

meltblown

FJB
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I use my 30 cal Omega on mine and it helps. I've tried to stay away from smaller bore cans so they won't get mixed up. 45 cal on 9mm etc

John A

FALaholic #
I use my 30 cal Omega on mine and it helps. I've tried to stay away from smaller bore cans so they won't get mixed up. 45 cal on 9mm etc
Several folks I know does that too.

Myself I tend to make dedicated cans. Once I started making integrals and dedicated suppressors, really dropped the db floor out of them and are such more enjoyable to use.

LKY_13

Sig Sauer Me
Contributor
FALaholic #
Everything I have ever put rounds through that was suppressed was improved in the fun factor segment. That said; while the Sig 556 works suppressed, unless you are welding and redrilling the gas valve, there are much better options. She's already overgassed and front heavy. Especially if you have a 551 length gas system. I certainly would not recommend running a suppressor without tuning long term.
A 553 length gas system and 10.5" barrel could be interesting, and a bit more balanced. I would still recommend a tuned gas valve, though.

Good luck, and do keep us posted.

aron82

FALaholic #
Oss flow through suppressor would work without overgassing. I haven't put mine in my sig 556 yet, but have shot it on several other 556 rifles with no gas adjustments.
They aren't exactly cheap, but they are well made and very versatile.