• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Springfield XM-15?

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Springfield has always been willing to jump into different markets and see if they could make money. The XM-15 and Springfield SAR-3 (H&K G3 copy) are a rifles I regretted trading. Tripped across a Pony rifle had been wanting right after my divorce and I either let the Colt pass or trade something off and the gunshop owner was highly interested in the Springfield's so left with the Colt and some badly needed cash. Have not seen one since to buy back (prefer box, papares, good condition and only sen a few really beat up XM-15s) since but not made searching one out a huge priority either. Only reason I ever bought a FN FAL was because Springfield branded SAR 48s began popping up on on local shops shelves. Bought a SAR 48 in 5.56 and 7.62 and then his next order that shipped were SAR 4800 butthole stocks and the big fake muzzle device owner could not sell for love or money and picked up a pair.

Have added a Springfield Saint AR 15 and considering a Hellion when a few more get out and prices hopefully drop, especially on a used on someone could not afford to feed due to ammo cost. Have found when Springfield brands a rifle built by someone else they usually make sure to get a reasonable quality rifle like Imbel to build the SAR 48s. Had multiple chances to buy the then SAR-8 (post ban version of SAR-3) but twice they were the kits built on aluminum receivers and not the steel receiver SAR-3/8 impo4rted by Springfield. The XM-15 and SAR-3 are more desire able rifles than another Colt AR 15 in retrospect but live and learn. Would even take one of the SAR-8/3 "re-stamps" to hold that place in the collection of Springfield marketed rifles.

VALMET

M62/76
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I don’t put a premium on Springfield anything myself (from a collectible standpoint), just never realized Springfield Armory was even remotely in the AR game in the mid-80s.

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I am not saying they are better rifles but there are a large number of "Springfield Nuts" that will pay premium prices for their logo. The original SAR-3s were built in Greece on the original Heckler & Koch tooling. The SAR-48 FALs are nothing but an Imbel with the Springfield rollmark but are nice rifles and have enjoyed mine. If not for the SAR-48 I would have probably never become an FAL/L1?L2 collector. Never even looked at FALs till I saw one with a Springfield brand. I was the guy who collected the print catalogs at factory dealers and would buy a rifle that had never attracted me to have another Springfield in my collection. I doubt the Saint will ever gain the desirability of their preban offerings but its not an expensive placeholder. The XM-15, SAR-3, SAR-48, BM-59 and Omega 1911 (link-less swap barrel in 38 Super, 10mm and 45 just swapping barrels and mags). M-6 Scout, M1 Garand and of course the M1a/M14 make for a nice little "collectors niche" if your into collecting.

VALMET

M62/76
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #

Impala_Guy

FALaholic #
Olympic were the first company besides Colt and Armalite to make ARs weren't they? They were stand up guys, told several LE agencies to pound sand after their states passed "assault weapon" bans