• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Spotting scope ???

Near Sighted Sniper

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
I am wanting to buy a new spotter. Currently I have ( what I think) is a really good one. It’s a Kowa 662 with 3 eye pieces 20x60, 20 wide angle & a 30x. I can see .308 & 5.56 holes easily out to 200 yards. After that not really, .308 is a maybe but that just depends on the conditions. Yesterday I ran into a dude @ the range & he had an older (10 years) non HD Vortex scope. We both thought my Kowa had his beat. I’m starting to look again, I do this every few years & think I would like the new Kowa promoter TSN 88 or TSN 99 but they are SOOO EXPENSIVE!
I’m curious to know what you guys are using. Also I’m definitely in need of a better tripod. What would you recommend for a really good tripod that won’t move or shake in medium to high winds?? Last month I was set up & the winds were really stopping me from being able to see anything because the dang thing was shaking so much.
Thanks in advance, Mick

brownknees

FALaholic #
Have you thought of a surveyors auto level tripod? You'll need the 1/4 X20 adaptor but they're inexpensive.
The tripods & levels are commonly available for peanuts as the industry has gone laser!
I got my Leitz one for $10 at a yard sale!

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
FALaholic #
MIRAGE is the enemy of good glass.
The best scope in the world can't make mirage disappear.

The only way to beat mirage is to place the optic on an elevated position. The closer to the ground, the worse the mirage.

Scope SHAKE is a problem too.
My solution was to make sure the target faces are SHOOT-N-C type targets. You can see the splatter hole even if the scope is shaking.

Another option with scope shake is to remove the scope from the tripod/stand, and rest just the scope on a backpack or some such similar soft roll.

Electronic targets eliminate looking for bulletholes altogether. You can buy a ShotMarker e-target for less money than the price of a good spotting scope and scope-stand.

brownknees

FALaholic #
Its going to depend a bit on the tripods fitting. There are a couple. Oddly Home Despot & Lowes sell the tripods & the adapters too.
Gary is right, mirage & just general crud in the air will wreck the image quality of even the greatest scope.

These things are an absolute brute, massively constructed! You are supposed to stand on the bottom to drive the feet into the ground when setting it up! If this isn't solid & shake & wobble resistant there's nothing out there for you!
I'll set it up & take some pics for you tomorrow its too dark right now.
DSCF5000.JPG

Last edited:

brownknees

FALaholic #
OK pics, This beast is 41" long telescoped shut & opens up to 68" to the eyepiece, weight is probably abut 7~8 Lbs.

DSCF5002.JPG

DSCF5003.JPG

This is the mount fitting. its adjustable for dead level by sliding on the convex base & tightening the mount screw. Then you fine tune it with the 3 leveling screws.You can just see 2 or them peeking out from behind the triangular mount plate.

DSCF5005.JPG

DSCF5006.JPG

The level came with mine, a bit "non-standard" I know, but its a high quality 20X or 32X depending on the eyepiece, scope in its own right It has to "read", a giant tape measure a long way off.

Last edited:

Near Sighted Sniper

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
I’m 5’9” & I set up my tripod with the spotter attached so that I can look through it at my height. I don’t mind getting up to take a look after a few rounds.
With that said… a buddy of mine just have me this recently.

He got me the Hawk model. I don’t know why it won’t link directly to that model. Sorry

I’ve only gotten to test it once but so far it’s pretty cool. The weak link ( I’m only guessing here) is that I was using my phone to see the target. @ 200 yards I think the phone is at its limit. I just searched google & other guys are using el cheap 10” android tablets. I just ordered one for $46 off amazon & will see how it works. If it works then great if not I’ll return it. Honestly if this helps me to see .308 holes @ 300 I’ll be incredibly happy.