• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Sporting clays

Invictus77

1C16:13 - J1:9
Staff member
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
On a downside, I shot my new Browning Citori CXS. I'll give it some more time to see if I settle in with it, but it seems to smack me in the cheek and not point as naturally for me as the cheap Turkish O/U I've been shooting the last several years. The Browning certainly has a cool factor over the Turkish gun, but my purpose is to break more birds comfortably, not to look cool with a fancy shotgun. Time will tell.
My youngest son and I shot a round yesterday then another round today. I shot my Turkish gun yesterday and the Browning CXS today. Broke two more birds with the Browning, but shot the identical course as yesterday, so I was more "practiced" than yesterday. The jury is still out on this one. I will say the Browning did not smack me in the face this time.

Really I will keep both so I have a spare when something eventually breaks and I'm waiting on a part, but I will continue to study on it to see which one actually does best for me. So far, the $400 shotgun is neck and neck to the $2,000 shotgun.

I will also be taking a file or grinder to some of the sharp corners on the Browning extractors. The damn thing is like reaching in a sharks mouth to catch the empty hulls.

Invictus77

Staff member
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
My boy has beaten my score a few times but just barely. Today he smoked me by 10 birds.

He did not say much, but I think he was pretty proud of himself. I know I was damn proud of him :)

My Browning Citori CXS on the left. My boy's Beretta something or other on the right.

Hard to believe that is $4,000 worth of shotguns just to break a few clay birds, but we like it!

1711921966602.jpeg

Last edited:

Invictus77

Staff member
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Took a dremel to my Browning extractor edges today. The corners were all sharp as razors. By the time I finished a round, I was invariably bleeding.

No more Satan, not today !!!!!

1712444979558.jpeg

bubbagump

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Took a dremel to my Browning extractor edges today. The corners were all sharp as razors. By the time I finished a round, I was invariably bleeding.

No more Satan, not today !!!!!

View attachment 400837
I used to shoot SC a fair bit with my brother. First time we triggered the rabbit and watched that thing go bouncing through the woods both of us fell on our asses we were laughing so hard.

He came down this spring and reclaimed a Browning O/U he lent me 20 years ago so now I'm in the market for a new one. Pretty sure I know what I want, I just need to find the right place to order one from and go do it.

Trap is my main SG game, but Sporting Clays is a whole lot of fun, true that.

Invictus77

Staff member
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I had two "firsts" this morning!

Allen and I shot a round, 14 stations, 100 birds each so 200 shots fired, plus a few extra practicing on the really tough ones we were missing after the stage. One hour and fifteen minutes from guns out of the truck to guns back in the truck.

IIRC, this was also a "first". I hit 8 of 8 on station 3, then proceeded to miss 8 of 8 on station 4. DOH!!!

LYCAN

FALaholic #
I did skeet/trap? A few times. Back in the day. Very nice folks.

My 2nd Time, a Gentleman let me use his Ruger Red Label - O/U

What a functional Masterpiece!

So lightweight, perfectly balanced, and recoil was very tolerable.

Solid good memory. I ended up getting a Stoeger Condor (1/3 the price) ... interest drifted. Sold the O/U

Would definitely like to get into it again .