• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

So now I too have a S&W Revolver

TenTea

Contributor
FALaholic #
Commonly referred to as a "Lemon Squeezer"

I can look it up in the big book when I'm home tonight, if you like.

How about some details?
caliber
serial
markings
patent dates
?

Interweb photo of a nice one.
No offense to you and yours:
2591879_01_smith_wesson_top_break_lemon_s_640.jpg

Last edited:

TenTea

Contributor
FALaholic #
According to Standard Catalog of S&W 4th Edition.

...based on the 2 screws in the left side plate, grips, ribbed barrel, round blade front sight and the knurled barrel latch...should be 5 shot cylinder.

I say it's a .32 Safety Hammerless 3rd Model, produced from 1909-1937.

Serial range roughly from 170000 to 242981.

Value estimate based on the condition shown (you decide):
Poor $80
Fair $150
Good $200
VG $250

Pluribus

Testudo Sicario & Mediocris Albus Diaboli
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Pretty cool! I at one time as a youngster had a hankering for a “lemon squeezer“ pistol due to a spinster librarian that my school teacher Nana used to know. She used to have one and, one afternoon when I was a kid accompanying my grandmother to visit her librarian friend, Miss Ogge, she brought it out to show. She unloaded it and everything just like a real pro and hand it to my brother and I to look at. Told us that her daddy showed her how to use it when she was younger. From that moment on, I had a whole new found respect for Miss Ogge.

raubvogel

Contributor
FALaholic #
According to Standard Catalog of S&W 4th Edition.

...based on the 2 screws in the left side plate, grips, ribbed barrel, round blade front sight and the knurled barrel latch...should be 5 shot cylinder.

I say it's a .32 Safety Hammerless 3rd Model, produced from 1909-1937.

Serial range roughly from 170000 to 242981.

Value estimate based on the condition shown (you decide):
Poor $80
Fair $150
Good $200
VG $250
Let's be realistic: it is a Poor condition revolver.

I took a few pictures, primarily to show the markings. Apologies for the crappy pictures.
S&W_Mystery_05-sm.jpg
S&W_Mystery_06-sm.jpg
The only 32 I have is 32ACP; is that the caliber this should be shooting? Since I did not know where the box was, I grabbed a 357 magnum round (PPU 158gr, not something reputable). When I shoved the bullet into the barrel, it all but got in.
S&W_Mystery_03-sm.jpg
Then I opened it and dropped the round into the cylinder. It went in until it hit some kind of ridge with a clunking sound. Does that mean this revolver has been fired so many times its barrel and cylinder are way out of spec to the point of being unsafe to shoot?
S&W_Mystery_04-sm.jpg

raubvogel

Contributor
FALaholic #
TenTea, thanks for the info! When i first got it I was told it would shoot 38 special. After getting it home, my 357 test said otherwise. Then when I first started this thread I was then wondering whether this revolver takes 32ACP or there is an equivalent in rimmed cartridge. The fact it takes 38 S&W is great because as Webley revolvers came in .455 Webley and later in 38 S&W, I can find the ammo.

About serial number, I hope you will understand that I will not post it in a website, at least not in its entirety. I am open for alternatives though

Story

FALaholic #
@raubvogel Poke around over at the S&W Forums, you'll find out lots on that model and the repeated recommendation to use only lead bullets.
38 safety hamerless lemon squeezer | Smith And Wesson Forums

Then I opened it and dropped the round into the cylinder. It went in until it hit some kind of ridge with a clunking sound. Does that mean this revolver has been fired so many times its barrel and cylinder are way out of spec to the point of being unsafe to shoot?
That's just the really long (for the Lemon Squeezer's chambers) .357 case bottoming out on the short-short .38 S&W cylinder (same ridge you can see looking into your .357 cylinder).

Can you get us a pic of the bore condition?

Wildcat

FALaholic #
Gotta remember that the 38S&W is a larger diameter cartridge than the 38-spl or 357 Mag. Don't be surprised or too concerned that the 357-Mag cartridge will go that far into the cylinder.

Due to the size difference, don't use 38-Special dies to load 38-S&W.

The 38S&W is not a cartridge to hot-rod. Back in 1877, it was intended for Ø.360 bullets at a peak pressure of 13,000 CUP (black powder territory).
Since you have a hinged-frame revolver you should keep your loads light to moderate.
You can use 3F black powder. There are some load published for Unique or Bullseye as well.

When taking loading data from a manual, verify what size bullet they used to develop the published load. Some manuals indicate Ø.358 bullets (which are commonly used for 38-Spl).

FUUN063

FALaholic #
Why am I just now seeing this, especially after just handling my own .38 S&W top break. I have a very nice one and Ten Tea almost nailed it. The only thing I would add is the fact, IIRC, is that the actual name of this revolver is the New Departure. Lemon squeezer is the moniker given by gun traders of the past. I call it the lemon squeezer, too. Consequently, this one of mine is of the 4th change and dates to 1905. The earlier ones had a slightly different lockup of the top latch, with some being flush with the side of the frame and the later ones having the nubs stick out slightly from the frame. They made many, many of these. I've had them all, to include some like new in the box. I think the later ones were only produced in .38 S&W and no longer in .32 S&W. Does the OP's work?

Leland