• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

So just got off the line with Barrett

bubbagump

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Background: Have a Model 99 single shot, early edition and after years of procrastination decided it's time to get off the pot and upgrade the rail on the thing. Early editions including mine were shipped with a flat picatinny rail. Back in the day they upgraded and started shipping them with a 27 moa like have always been fitted on the M82s. Later on they went to a six bolt mount, the earlier ones including mine were five bolt.

Long story cut short I called 'em last week, no immediate reply 'they had to see what could be done' as they had quit making the five bolt rails some time ago. Two days, then the weekend goes by and I figured I'd have to call and remind 'em but they buzzed back today. Bad news was five hole rails no longer stock or made. Good news is that the six bolt pattern is just a bit longer rail and the bolt separation is identical. So I can get one and either trim it, leave the sixth hole empty or drill a sixth one myself in the rear of the barrel shroud. Needless to say there's one on the way and I'm inclined to leave it empty and only drill if I discover a reason to do it, and if I do I'll take it to someone with a vertical mill to make a precision drill. No bubbasmithing on this thing.

Anyway reason for the post is a big shout out to Barrett, they did me a solid. The scope I had on the thing was pulled a couple of years ago and repurposed to my .243 long range gun so now the problem becomes what to mount on the Barrett. Leaning towards a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 MOAR which will yield in theory 77 moa adjustment vertically, $1600 from opticsplanet and I can probably do better. This is probably enough although they do have newer models out that would potentially offer even more. Dunno but I'd be interested in opinions, especially if I ought to be looking at something else. My problem being an irons guy is I buy scopes maybe every ten years or so and it's really hard to stay on top of this stuff. And scopes, of course, really matter.

bubbagump

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Yeah they're pretty solid 2A folks too and they are right up the road from me. They're not what you might call a target rifle but they are solidly build and stupid simple to operate and take down. With that big duckfoot brake on them a little girl can shoot one.

rowjimmy

Purveyor of Truth
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Background: Have a Model 99 single shot, early edition and after years of procrastination decided it's time to get off the pot and upgrade the rail on the thing. Early editions including mine were shipped with a flat picatinny rail. Back in the day they upgraded and started shipping them with a 27 moa like have always been fitted on the M82s. Later on they went to a six bolt mount, the earlier ones including mine were five bolt.

Long story cut short I called 'em last week, no immediate reply 'they had to see what could be done' as they had quit making the five bolt rails some time ago. Two days, then the weekend goes by and I figured I'd have to call and remind 'em but they buzzed back today. Bad news was five hole rails no longer stock or made. Good news is that the six bolt pattern is just a bit longer rail and the bolt separation is identical. So I can get one and either trim it, leave the sixth hole empty or drill a sixth one myself in the rear of the barrel shroud. Needless to say there's one on the way and I'm inclined to leave it empty and only drill if I discover a reason to do it, and if I do I'll take it to someone with a vertical mill to make a precision drill. No bubbasmithing on this thing.

Anyway reason for the post is a big shout out to Barrett, they did me a solid. The scope I had on the thing was pulled a couple of years ago and repurposed to my .243 long range gun so now the problem becomes what to mount on the Barrett. Leaning towards a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 MOAR which will yield in theory 77 moa adjustment vertically, $1600 from opticsplanet and I can probably do better. This is probably enough although they do have newer models out that would potentially offer even more. Dunno but I'd be interested in opinions, especially if I ought to be looking at something else. My problem being an irons guy is I buy scopes maybe every ten years or so and it's really hard to stay on top of this stuff. And scopes, of course, really matter.
I'm not expert, but if you're buying a Nightforce, I wouldn't get their entry level line. In that case you're paying for the name, and could get a comparably performing cheaper optic for a good bit less. I went with their mid-grade, and it does well on my Tikka to 1k yds.

With a 27 moa mount (I've only hear of 20 and 30 moa mounts) you should be able to get close to a mile I would think.

bubbagump

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I'm not expert, but if you're buying a Nightforce, I wouldn't get their entry level line. In that case you're paying for the name, and could get a comparably performing cheaper optic for a good bit less. I went with their mid-grade, and it does well on my Tikka to 1k yds.

With a 27 moa mount (I've only hear of 20 and 30 moa mounts) you should be able to get close to a mile I would think.
Yeah, I drove down to a local dealer and took a look at the NF current offerings. I own two NXS 56 mm scopes from back in the day and I can tell you the newer ones, at least the one I handled wasn't up to par with the old ones. The elevation/windage clicks weren't nearly as positive, the illumination switch was hard as hell to operate and it just didn't have the vibe of the older ones. This without even bolting the thing on a rifle. I did like the ATACR scopes but that's getting real close to $3k and I'll need a new set of rings, the ones I have are 30mm so add another $400 to the tab. I may wind up going that way anyway but I'm certainly open to looking at Leupold, I've owned a few of their VX3 line and have been nothing but happy with any of them. Just not sure they can take what a bolt-action 50 cal can dish out, particularly when launching 750 grain AMAX bullets.

The 27moa is apparently the Barrett standard, apparently it's a few moa short of 30 so you can put a scope with 60 moa of vertical travel on the thing and still click to a 200 yard zero with the main crosshair. With a 100 moa of clickable elevation this ought to comfortably get me to 2000 yards which is more than enough. With a 750 amax @ 2600 I reckon I'll be looking at about 55 moa come-up at a mile, 73 or so at 2000 yards. This setup should get me at least 80 minutes.

I should probably just suck it up and go for the ATACR 5-24 x 56 once I decide on a reticle. Christmas is coming after all and the way I figure it I did pocket 5 large by keeping the 99 instead of going for a new M82. Yeah it's a screwed up way of looking at things but this is what happens when little head starts leading ya around.

rowjimmy

Purveyor of Truth
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Yeah, I drove down to a local dealer and took a look at the NF current offerings. I own two NXS 56 mm scopes from back in the day and I can tell you the newer ones, at least the one I handled wasn't up to par with the old ones. The elevation/windage clicks weren't nearly as positive, the illumination switch was hard as hell to operate and it just didn't have the vibe of the older ones. This without even bolting the thing on a rifle. I did like the ATACR scopes but that's getting real close to $3k and I'll need a new set of rings, the ones I have are 30mm so add another $400 to the tab. I may wind up going that way anyway but I'm certainly open to looking at Leupold, I've owned a few of their VX3 line and have been nothing but happy with any of them. Just not sure they can take what a bolt-action 50 cal can dish out, particularly when launching 750 grain AMAX bullets.

The 27moa is apparently the Barrett standard, apparently it's a few moa short of 30 so you can put a scope with 60 moa of vertical travel on the thing and still click to a 200 yard zero with the main crosshair. With a 100 moa of clickable elevation this ought to comfortably get me to 2000 yards which is more than enough. With a 750 amax @ 2600 I reckon I'll be looking at about 55 moa come-up at a mile, 73 or so at 2000 yards. This setup should get me at least 80 minutes.

I should probably just suck it up and go for the ATACR 5-24 x 56 once I decide on a reticle. Christmas is coming after all and the way I figure it I did pocket 5 large by keeping the 99 instead of going for a new M82. Yeah it's a screwed up way of looking at things but this is what happens when little head starts leading ya around.
Yeah, distinct and positive turrets are important for sure. A lot of guys who shoot precision rifle seem to love the Vortex
Razor Gen 3 in the $3.5k range.

In the $1k ranges, what you initially mentioned, a trainer I know recommends the following scopes as used by shooters/students in his classes:

ARKEN EP5
ARKEN SH4
Vortex Viper PST Gen 2
Vortex Strike Eagle
Primary Arms GLX w/Athena Reticle
Valdada Recon G1

Here's a vid of the review:

I bough the NF NX8 in 4x32, their mid-range, and love the glass. It was around $1,700 (with friend discount, lol). It's clear, holds zero, and has positive, thought not "clickish" turret adjustments. I was making hits at 1k all day long with good wind calls using my Tikka 6.5 Creedmor.

The ATACR may be the way to go. But. a lot of precision guys love the Vortex Razor.

Dude, your at a point in your life you can buy what you want. Buy once, cry once.

Where are you able to stretch the legs on your rifle at those ranges?

bubbagump

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Yeah, distinct and positive turrets are important for sure. A lot of guys who shoot precision rifle seem to love the Vortex
Razor Gen 3 in the $3.5k range.

In the $1k ranges, what you initially mentioned, a trainer I know recommends the following scopes as used by shooters/students in his classes:

ARKEN EP5
ARKEN SH4
Vortex Viper PST Gen 2
Vortex Strike Eagle
Primary Arms GLX w/Athena Reticle
Valdada Recon G1

Here's a vid of the review:

I bough the NF NX8 in 4x32, their mid-range, and love the glass. It was around $1,700 (with friend discount, lol). It's clear, holds zero, and has positive, thought not "clickish" turret adjustments. I was making hits at 1k all day long with good wind calls using my Tikka 6.5 Creedmor.

The ATACR may be the way to go. But. a lot of precision guys love the Vortex Razor.

Dude, your at a point in your life you can buy what you want. Buy once, cry once.

Where are you able to stretch the legs on your rifle at those ranges?
My range is only 600 yards. We have a 500 meter steel range too. Need to go to Tn for 1000. As for 2000, still figuring that out. Tucson if I have to. Thanks for the list RJ, I'll check them all out. I do own a Vortex service rifle scope. Glass is OK and clicks are positive but it's only a SR scope. Not really in the same league. I have heard nothing bad about the upper end Vortexes.