• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

So Billabong will go to the National Match...

boricua

FALaholic #
non c'è, mia moglie e ho viaggiato con gli studenti delle scuole superiori durante il freno a molla mia moglie era un insegnante di spagnolo e abbiamo viaggiato con EF Tours. Siamo entrambi in pensione ora e spero di tornare in Spagna e in Italia e spendere molto più tempo di 10 giorni!

Fiorina

Contributor
FALaholic #
Wow this is too cool, what are the gun laws in Italy like? My grandfather was born in Palermo and came to the US as a kid.
I'm not sure what they are like actually. That would be a good question to ask Paulo. I am Italian but I wasn't born there or lived there. I've been there to visit family. Most of my relatives here are from there so that's why I can speak it. (Sort of).

paolo.orange

FALaholic #
Not that bad actually. Semiauto only, not limitation of caliber except 9x19 Luger that is still forbidden to civian shooter (we have 9x21 that is the same). No significative restriction on magazines capacity. Gun License for sport purposes is issued after 1 month providing that 2 medical/psychological checks went OK.

boricua

FALaholic #
Paulo I have a question for you?
I know lets see you come to Alaska... i know I can take you to the Club and even shoot in a Match... have loaner rifles and always find enough gear for a visitor shooter to use
If someone from America can go visit Italy can he or she participate and shoot in your Club or Matches?
by the way those pictures you posted are like postcards !

gus

FALaholic #
The best strategy I was able to plan to eliminate the rear upper play is a laser/epoxy bedding.

I was not able to surely identify the spot were the upper gets in touch with the lower at its rear end so I welded a 0.3 mm thick metal strip on the left side of the lower.

I couldn't close the receivers anymore so that is surely the place I need to work to achieve minimum lateral play.
With a file first and a stone later it's not difficult to find the correct thickness that allows you to close the receivers. Just take your time.

To fix any vertical play I put a thin layer of bi-component epoxy resin on the bottom of the "locking hook well" (I do not know how I should call it).

I left it cure and the following morning I found this:

Not bad uh?
I removed a little bit of the cured resin from behind the print of the locking hook because I do not want that the epoxy to handle any recoil forces. The resin I used , Devcon 10110, is a very good product that provided very long lasting results on my other rifles, but this application looks a little bit border line.
The welded steel strip might look redundant, but without it I couldn't make an accurate bedding.

At the present I can not measure any residual play in this area. I do not expect any terrific improvement of the accuracy, but removing this plays won't make things any worst.

Firing test soon.
on picture #3 a set of shims on both sides work out ? once the size is right for no play ...weld them and clean up the rest ....?

paolo.orange

FALaholic #
@ Boricua: I have investigated and it's a little bit complicated. For international competitions it's of course no problem at all. For recreative shooting an insurance might be required but it's really up to the shooting range management.

@Gus: I do not see any problem with your strategy. On the average our FAL are pretty old guns so I can't say which is the ultimate technique. I would rather suggest to evaluate on a case by case basis. Just remember that the goal is NOT receivers tightness, but sights consistency shot after shot.

19&41

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Congratulations! You have refined a rifle that that so many like and have achieved performance beyond expectations. Glad to see you continuing with it!

AKASL

FALaholic #
Harmonic wire?

Paolo,

What is the diameter of the harmonic wire and the drill size you used to make the trigger return spring?

IM and Email on the way also.

AKASL

paolo.orange

FALaholic #
Hallo everybody.
Yes Bibbabong is doing ok but it's not competing so far. I still partecipate our NM and I won last year the Championship with my AR15.
New girlfriend, new airplane, new motorbike, lot of things to do at work, time is getting too short and I can't train enough to shoot competitively in two divisions. May be next year, who knows.

Yes we have quite a lot of FAL here, equally distributed among Imperial and Metric. They almost always come with the safety sear slot welded. The average prices is around 750€. The Austrian STG look to be the most appreciated. Very few Israeli HB, few Aussie and Canadian, quite a lot of Argentinian, Austrian and British.
Funny enough most of the shooter here shoot their Fal with optics (never with Trilux), that really makes no sense to me.
:)

PS: can anybody tell me why the photos of the first posts are no more there? My ImageShack account seems OK, but I can't see my photos there anymore.

Last edited:

19&41

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
It's not easy to tell why the pictures have gone missing. I have stopped using hosting services like Imageshack and Photobucket and attach photos from a folder of resized pictures using the "manage attachments" option below the reply box. It is easy to resize pictures with windows' editing feature and just attach them. Your thread is one of the most interesting and informative to have been posted. It would be good to have the pictures back up. Good luck in your endeavors, whatever form they may take.