• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

SIG Pistol prices

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
FALaholic #
Run of the mill SIG guns never impressed me as anything special.

Seems decent product. But not enticing at premium price.

Hollywood guns sometimes have unique appeal. I thought the pistol in “Book of Eli” was a SIG for the longest while. So had the notion I might break my “No SIGS” rule to assemble a tribute piece. Turns out it was H&K!

0962F829-7BB5-469B-9B2A-B02423026D23.jpeg

aron82

FALaholic #
I agree that's way to much for that p226. The legion guns are nice,but not that much to justify 1600. Local shop has that same pistol right now for 1200, which I feel is still too much.
Three of my 226s I paid 400 or less for.
All function great.
Abominog, you really should change out the recoil spring, every so often. Sig makes a spring kit that is very reasonably priced.

peter-paul

FALaholic #
The issue I had with the P226 and many other SIG guns is that the slide rides very high and exacerbates the momentum of the pistol during recoil.

They did not carry over the lesson from the P49, which had a low profile slide.

Abominog

FALaholic #
The issue I had with the P226 and many other SIG guns is that the slide rides very high and exacerbates the momentum of the pistol during recoil.

Huh. Did notice slide is tall. Never noticed any issues with recoil.

LKY_13

Sig Sauer Me
Contributor
FALaholic #
Exactly why I prefer my M&P CORE to my P229 or P226. And, why I've never looked too hard at any of the P320s...
Still think the P938s are real sweet shooters though... but then, the bore axis is lower on these too... ;)

spider991

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Exactly why I prefer my M&P CORE to my P229 or P226. And, why I've never looked too hard at any of the P320s...
Still think the P938s are real sweet shooters though... but then, the bore axis is lower on these too... ;)
Don't overlook the Sig 320 , I was skeptical as well. Not anymore. 20220525_113641.jpg

GMT16750

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #

Huh. Did notice slide is tall. Never noticed any issues with recoil.
Proper grip and isometric tension are critical to handgun control in recoil... it's a training thing:cool:

peter-paul

FALaholic #
Proper grip and isometric tension are critical to handgun control in recoil... it's a training thing:cool:
I shot plenty-a-round in Afghanistan. I can control the SIG 226.

However, the laws of physics are stubborn things - and 15,000 rounds of "grip control" over a relatively short period of time takes its toll due to design choices.

The best tools are ergonomic and use physics to optimally serve the one who uses them.

Tools that are not as well designed expect people to compensate for their design flaws.

brunop

Refresh Key Masher
Staff member
Platinum Contributor
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
This ^ is why no one who is competing for money shoots a Sig 226 (or the like...) in professional 3 Gun or IPSC.

Or if they do, they're getting paid while NOT winning.

We can all control recoil to some degree. The less there is, the faster you can go.

GMT16750

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
This ^ is why no one who is competing for money shoots a Sig 226 (or the like...) in professional 3 Gun or IPSC.

Or if they do, they're getting paid while NOT winning.

We can all control recoil to some degree. The less there is, the faster you can go.
Well...they were designed to be DA/SA "service pistols" and therefore its not a fair or applicable comparison... :) They were not optimized for "high speed, low drag" competition with 1.5 llb SA triggers and optimized semi custom parts and designed/ fitted to the specific individual shooting the gun, like todays winners are using.

Conversely, I would also question the ability of todays modern race guns used by the professional "winners" to withstand the rigors of use in a combat environment by the average soldier for long and remain reliable.

Last edited:

brunop

Refresh Key Masher
Staff member
Platinum Contributor
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Yes.

I'm just saying that the 'better' the design for lowering center of gravity / lowering the 'vector' for recoil impulse, the better the recoil control - even if you're already good at recoil control.

GMT16750

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Yes.

I'm just saying that the 'better' the design for lowering center of gravity / lowering the 'vector' for recoil impulse, the better the recoil control - even if you're already good at recoil control.
Agreed but keep it all in perspective and context; the SiG "P" series (P220) was designed in 1975 and the P226 in 1980. What were the major manufacturers competitors for DA/SA service pistols? Beretta92, the S&W 39/59, CZ75, Walther P5, HK P9? Back then the P series was cutting edge. Back then, because of rudimentary bullet design, the .45ACP was the king of self defense calibers until maybe 15 years ago. Ammo design, just like firearms design has changed for the better too.

Last edited:

Douglas S Graham

FALaholic #
The P228 I mentioned was an early West German gun, probably from around 1993 ish. I have one like new , from the same time period (currently on GB, shameless plug). Mine is as new, probably only one mag fired. Cherry!!

Scout10

Bronze Contributor
Contributor
FALaholic #
Decades ago ! . . . Sig Sauer was doing the majority of machining by "craftsmen", and advertised that for sales purposes.
Their prices were usually a bit higher and many paid that price for the continued manual hands on efforts.
The product was excellent . . . . BUT now . . . . they machine as much if not more then anyone via automation.
YET . . . . . still hang on to the pricing.

richbug

FALaholic #
Well...they were designed to be DA/SA "service pistols" and therefore its not a fair or applicable comparison... :) They were not optimized for "high speed, low drag" competition with 1.5 llb SA triggers and optimized semi custom parts and designed/ fitted to the specific individual shooting the gun, like todays winners are using.
So were Glocks and CZs, lots of guys winning with them.

aron82

FALaholic #
What, I'm sure the Czechs issue parrots to all their troops.
Sig is just horribly outdated.
Every pistol they make should be an x5. Oh wait, the x5 pistols show they aren't outdated and do make competition pistols.
If ore axis and the pistol were the most important thing then everyone would be shooting a Lago alien to be competitive.