• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Shotshell hulls- any favorites?

adam762

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
You looking for any wads? Just found a bunch in the attic
Yes, as long as I can find a recipe that calls for them.

I doubt this buckshot will be high volume but I want to set up a run a bunch of them as a batch. Once the 8lb jug of herco is open, I want to load shotshels till it’s empty. That’s 2200 shells or so. Pack it up and put it away, move on to number 4 shot.

Im at this point in my life where I look around at the huge pile of components I have, and realize that it really isn’t going to matter to anyone if I croak. Loaded ammunition, on the other hand, matters. So there’s a real push to get individual calibers loaded up and put away. Shot shells will be coming next year. This year is already booked.

adam762

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
You gotta match the wads with the hull. There are tapered hulls and straight wall hulls. Decide on which wad you want to use then buy the corresponding hulls.
I knew it was all a carefully balanced equation. Don’t deviate from the manufacturers published data type of thing. I figured I would determine what type of hulls I wanted to use first and then pick the wads from the list of recipes.

These aren’t going to be 3 inch magnum type things, but they will be defensive buckshot loads. I want the hulls to be capable. Will the light duty trap and skeet style low brass shells be acceptable?

adam762

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Looks like with herco, 1250 FPS (or so, I guess) with 1 1/8 oz shot is more common than anything else. Other hull recipes can go north of that but not by much. For the cost/benefit, maybe the AA hulls are the best bet. Lots of choices for wads. Keep a few boxes of 3” mags around for doing the Lords work and such but do the bulk loading with the AA 2 3/4. 7 pellets vs 9, doubt anyone will giggle at the 7.

Right Side Up

FALaholic #
I would stick with 2&3/4” for self defense. It won’t be a hunting load that needs to pattern well 50 yards away so you can use a short wad, they’re basically just a seal. Then you stack your pellets on top.

There is a LOT of good recipes on the castboolits site

adam762

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Match all your stuff up before you buy. I made the mistake of buying a bunch of shotgun components i could not make a load out of.
This- looking at the data for Herco, if I get AA hulls, I have a LOT of primer/wad options. That is probably going to be the driving factor.

Don’t have primers yet. Or wads. Figure I’ll get the hulls. Then investigate/choose primers, followed by wads. I intend to adhere to the Herco data.

Right Side Up

FALaholic #
If I’m not mistaken, the AA hulls are tapered and were originally intended for trap/skeet/fowl hunting. The hills I ended up getting were new primed hulls, straight wall, made by Fiocchi IIRC

adam762

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Chances are you'll have problems finding primers !
I believe it. But sometimes a batch pops up. Winchester small rifle military (41) primers just hit the market, and between two vendors I have 10k of them inbound. Something similar will happen with 209s. I just have to be ready.

ByronF

FALaholic #
I load AA, but I think the Remington STI were pretty good, too. But because the hull drives wad choice, and I don't want to stock bags of wads, I use only AA.

Wads also depend on shot charge volume so I have AA wads for light loads,, heavy field loads, and slug loads.

John A

FALaholic #
Remington STS. Or any of their other smooth sided hulls is what I prefer.

They'll reload many many times.

Also like the smooth sides. They feed/extract like butter.

To answer your other question about hi/low brass. Doesn't matter how you load them. You can load low brass to high velocity or high brass to low velocity.

Depending on powder you use, you may need felt wad spacers or cardboard shot cards to take up the difference in payload height to get a good crimp.

Longshot powder is often what I use for warm/hot loads. Clays or Titegroup works great for light/handicap loads. Good luck finding clays though. Seems as if hogdon has forgotten how to make it the last few years.

Last edited: