• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Severe Economic Desperation Rises Rapidly All Over America As Nearly Half The Nation Cuts Back Spending On Food

Black Blade

FALaholic #
Severe Economic Desperation Rises Rapidly All Over America As Nearly Half The Nation Cuts Back Spending On Food

1659442670411.png

It is starting to look a lot like 2008. Extremely long lines are forming at food banks all over the country, job losses and layoffs are starting to spike, countless small businesses are right on the brink of going under, a housing crash that could be even worse than what we witnessed in 2008 has begun, and large numbers of Americans are actually moving into sheds in a desperate attempt to save money. This new economic downturn is still only in the very early stages, and yet the economic suffering that we are already seeing all over the country is truly frightening. If people are struggling this much now, what will conditions be like six months down the road?

BLACK BLADE: The numbers are looking grim. People are living off their credit cards and home equity loans in an environment of rising interest rates. Auto repossessions and home foreclosures are rising by double digits. The labor force participation rate is falling off a cliff and the "glut" of jobs are mostly all in the minimum wage service sector. Meanwhile, food shortages are coming due to lack of expected harvest this fall (lack of and rising costs of fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, etc.), droughts, culling of herds of livestock, etc. etc. etc.

The consumer is "tapped out". Preppers are ahead of the game. As we been saying for a long time now ... "Buy it cheap and stack it deep". Doesn't just apply to ammo but all life's necessities. Remember, we government is led by psychopaths and defective insane demented people who were willingly elected by the majority of voters (so were told). Get your house in order ...

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/pea...tors-show-the-us-consumer-is-tapp-t53381.html

John A

FALaholic #
I assure you, food is not the only thing being cut back on.

Matter of fact, out of everything, that is one thing that is being cut back on the least. So, if they are saying that food is being cut back on, imagine what the dismal sales outlook is for major retailers. Just wait until the last quarter sales come in and compare them to 3 or 4 years ago. That will tell you more than some article will. All you have to do is look for it because MSM is not likely going to come out and tell you what they find.

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
People are still buying shit they don't need, it's an industry that I work in. And they are spending money repairing and fueling the same as always.

I've also noticed people aren't afraid to burn that $5 a gallon fuel screaming down the roads in a beat up jalopy or a jacked up truck with 32s roaring down the road. No, around here they still act like gas is $1.

Maybe somewhere the current economic cluster fluck is hurting someone but around here ya can't see it.

okiefarmer

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
I thought along this same way, but I went into the bank yesterday to move some money into a higher rate CD. This is Just our emergency fund money that is more liquid than 401 or IRS. Young lady at local credit union said they are making this higher offer to attract money, loan volume had increased yugely lately. People are borrowing money to go buy things they are afraid are going to (1) increase in price even more in the future, and (2) become unavailable or hard to get. There are a lot of people hurting out there, but there is also a lot of moldy money too,

Last edited:

2barearms

Bronze Contributor
Contributor
FALaholic #
I’m going to posit this just for grins and giggles….has anyone looked at the folks at the store lately?
If you have to choose between 2 cases of cokes and chicken and that’s a tough decision you probably
needed to buy less food in the first place….ijs

ByronF

FALaholic #
People are still buying shit they don't need, it's an industry that I work in. And they are spending money repairing and fueling the same as always.

I've also noticed people aren't afraid to burn that $5 a gallon fuel screaming down the roads in a beat up jalopy or a jacked up truck with 32s roaring down the road. No, around here they still act like gas is $1.

Maybe somewhere the current economic cluster fluck is hurting someone but around here ya can't see it.
Dude, it's my only roadworthy vehicle at the moment, and it's 30 years old. And they're 33s.

ByronF

FALaholic #
All I sense is a bunch of bitching but little detectable behavioral change. Fatasses at work are still fatassing around at a snail's pace, still buying lunch instead of packing one, nobody car pooling, still quitting their new job after a week because doing stuff for a paycheck is hard. I suppose when taxpayers are handling your rent, your groceries, your healthcare and your cell phone bill you hardly notice a recession

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
All I sense is a bunch of bitching but little detectable behavioral change. Fatasses at work are still fatassing around at a snail's pace, still buying lunch instead of packing one, nobody car pooling, still quitting their new job after a week because doing stuff for a paycheck is hard. I suppose when taxpayers are handling your rent, your groceries, your healthcare and your cell phone bill you hardly notice a recession
Yup.
SHTF when the credit cards are maxed out. It's coming.
Gas around here (one of the most expensive in the US) finally dropped below $4.

I freely admit I need to make some small but important changes to spending habits. Old habits are hard to break.

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Light bulbs before they burn out, burn the brightest.

A lot of people have the mindset,,,,,,,oh well,,,,its about to get ugly, lets party till the credit card stops working,,,or,,,the government will send us more checks and pay tha rent,,,,,food banks got "free" food,,and shit,,,,can't pay, if I get sick, they got to treat me.

Many,,,,,,I'll just steal what I need or want.

Dealing with food shortages is one thing, can be overcome, planned for, worked around.

Dealing with just a small % increase in people, that will rob, steal, kill ya for no reason, destroy, simply "go crazy" is about to become a wake up call for many folks.

Know when to switch from normal society standards, to dealing with crazy town, and don't be late.

okiefarmer

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
I was kinda kidding when I posted this, although I really am dieting. And it has helped me realize my food preps could last quite a while at this reduced level of consumption.
Damn, when I first saw you replying to yourself, I thought you were taking a cue from Mosc11

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I have a feeling beans and rice will self-regulate any threat of over eating of preps. It'll keep you alive but nobody gonna be licking their lips at the dinner bell.
Throw in some dehydrated onions, fry up some tortillas, add a little mystery meat, with a healthy portion of TexasPete, ya got the making of a fine meal.;)

Tread Me Not

FALaholic #
I really hope it doesn’t get as bad as I think it will.

I’m more prepared than the majority of people and it still gives me a fright.

I think the thing that worries me the most is fending off the people I know who think they can get a hand out.

I try to hide as much as I can…

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I really hope it doesn’t get as bad as I think it will.

I’m more prepared than the majority of people and it still gives me a fright.

I think the thing that worries me the most is fending off the people I know who think they can get a hand out.

I try to hide as much as I can…

Any location with hungry people,,,,,,hunger is NOT the main concern,,,its the hungry people you come into contact with.

If at all possible, anyone that is prior-prepared, its always best to also get as far away from all others as possible when the shit hits.

It takes a long time to die from a hungry belly,,,seconds to die from another hungry person.

Isolation, as little contact with all others in most emergencies, is a given.

If they can't find your door,,,,you have no need to face them and turn them away...

Tread Me Not

FALaholic #
Any location with hungry people,,,,,,hunger is NOT the main concern,,,its the hungry people you come into contact with.

If at all possible, anyone that is prior-prepared, its always best to also get as far away from all others as possible when the shit hits.

It takes a long time to die from a hungry belly,,,seconds to die from another hungry person.

Isolation, as little contact with all others in most emergencies, is a given.

If they can't find your door,,,,you have no need to face them and turn them away...
Well said.