• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Sell or Keep? (M1 Garand Content)

Which do I keep?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lowprone

FALaholic #
I'm a NATO guy, '06 is for collectors at this point...............................................YIPPEEE..................................................................................

I COLLECTED enough years ago that I don't really care what is fashionable .

OMCHamlin

FALaholic #
Well, "Keep 'em both" seems to have won for now, it WAS amazing to watch that bizzare anomoly of a $7K+ WWII Winchester on GB though. I wonder if they completed the deal? (incidentally; at a sure $7K, that WWII Winny would be gone as HELL, and I'd toss in every Garand clip full of '06 that I had!)

ftierson

FALaholic #
Every time I open the Garand safe I ponder the same sort of question. Which ones would I sell first. Tough decisions for sure. I know there are a bunch in there the were Service Grade or better that followed me home from Camp Perry over the years that I have never even taken out of the rust preventive bags they came home in. I know decision time is approaching fast but it is more than hard to part with any of them.
I find myself in somewhat of the same boat, although my boat is most likely not as heavily loaded as yours, Art. :)

There were some beautiful rifles that CMP 'dumped' as service grade during the Greek returns time, and I must admit that I couldn't prevent myself from taking advantage of that situation. My favorites are the HRAs and late production SA rifles. Of the manufacturers in general, the Winchesters are the lowest quality (but still quite serviceable), but they tend to hold their value because everyone wants a Winchester. :)

Forrest

ArtBanks

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
I find myself in somewhat of the same boat, although my boat is most likely not as heavily loaded as yours, Art. :)

There were some beautiful rifles that CMP 'dumped' as service grade during the Greek returns time, and I must admit that I couldn't prevent myself from taking advantage of that situation. My favorites are the HRAs and late production SA rifles. Of the manufacturers in general, the Winchesters are the lowest quality (but still quite serviceable), but they tend to hold their value because everyone wants a Winchester. :)

Forrest
Yes the Greek returns were something. I think I bought a dozen or more of the Service Grade Specials which were Collector Grade metal in new stocks along with quite a few Service grades from all mfgs. Some Win 13s and a few IHC along with plenty of H&R and SA. I figured they would not go down if value even if the didn't go up. A hedge bet on inflation.

ftierson

FALaholic #
Yes the Greek returns were something. I think I bought a dozen or more of the Service Grade Specials which were Collector Grade metal in new stocks along with quite a few Service grades from all mfgs. Some Win 13s and a few IHC along with plenty of H&R and SA. I figured they would not go down if value even if the didn't go up. A hedge bet on inflation.
Spoken like a true addict, er, I mean, of course, investor... :)

I suffer from the same 'problem' of justifying purchases.

I have a friend here in town who has a collection of about 80 M1s, many new-in-wrap and most what would be considered to be collector's grade or better. His collection dots most of the i(s) and crosses most of the t(s), including Winny 13s and gap digits and rare number sequence SAs and all. The one he was never able to find in terms of what he was willing to pay was/is an 'original' gas trap (if such a thing even exists today). He has several he shoots regularly...

I never expected him to sell anything of his off, but even he is seeing the end-of-life image at the end of the road, even though he is in reasonably good heath (some atrial heart issues non-withstanding), and is starting to move a few things (a couple of BM-59s most recently).

We all reach that point in life where we start thinking about what will happen to our babies, in some ways completely separate from issues having to do with their market value.

Even I've thought about moving an IHC, but I like the front sight too much to do it yet... :)

Forrest

ByronF

FALaholic #
Sell both while shiny pretty collectible things still have extrinsic value. I hope I'm wrong but may be that soon its only value is in its ability to go bang. As such a trophy rifle has no more value than a beater with a good bore, and a $500 AR15 is worth more than both combined. Knowhatimsayin?

ftierson

FALaholic #
Sell both while shiny pretty collectible things still have extrinsic value. I hope I'm wrong but may be that soon its only value is in its ability to go bang. As such a trophy rifle has no more value than a beater with a good bore, and a $500 AR15 is worth more than both combined. Knowhatimsayin?
The problem, of course, is that, unless you need the money immediately to pay bills, converting your 'collection' (I use that term somewhat loosely) to fast-becoming worthless dollars just leaves you with worthless dollars unless immediately converted to valuable material goods...

Forrest

ByronF

FALaholic #
The problem, of course, is that, unless you need the money immediately to pay bills, converting your 'collection' (I use that term somewhat loosely) to fast-becoming worthless dollars just leaves you with worthless dollars unless immediately converted to valuable material goods...

Forrest
My extrinsic luxuries have been converted to food, fruit trees, fuel sources, ammo, barter goods, etc. Only a sucker holds a lot of cash these days.

raubvogel

Contributor
FALaholic #
Well, "Keep 'em both" seems to have won for now, it WAS amazing to watch that bizzare anomoly of a $7K+ WWII Winchester on GB though. I wonder if they completed the deal? (incidentally; at a sure $7K, that WWII Winny would be gone as HELL, and I'd toss in every Garand clip full of '06 that I had!)
That Garand was used to kill commies during the American Revolutionary War

ftierson

FALaholic #

I have a friend here in town who has a collection of about 80 M1s, many new-in-wrap and most what would be considered to be collector's grade or better. His collection dots most of the i(s) and crosses most of the t(s), including Winny 13s and gap digits and rare number sequence SAs and all. The one he was never able to find in terms of what he was willing to pay was/is an 'original' gas trap (if such a thing even exists today). He has several he shoots regularly...

While I must admit that I'd also like a gas-trap, the 'Garand' that I've always wanted, for cheap, is the Japanese Type 4 (or 5)... :)

Haven't found a cheap one yet... :)

Forrest

davedude

FALaholic #
I'm keeping mine. CMP rack grade Greek return and a post war receiver I found all NOS parts for. Shuff put on a new criterion 30-06 barrel. Pepper laminate stock. Still have not shot that one.
Imagepipe_28.jpg