• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Sabot

Colts4me

Banned
FALaholic #
Any of you guys ever load sabot in your rifles? Remington had the accelerator years ago but I believe cost made them not sell.

There is a company that makes the sabot in Utah and it looks interesting.

easttex

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
We tried some 30-06/.223 Accelerators in my buddy's Springfield 1903 and never could get them to group worth a damn. I think the reason they never caught on was not only the expense but also, they weren't terribly accurate.

That's my only experience with them. At the time we tried them, they seemed more like a solution looking for a problem to solve than the other way around.

A1Trigger_Happy

FALaholic #
Several years ago several of my friends tried come up with a load that shot well in a 30-06. We couldn't get them to shoot either. Don't know who has the dies and everything out all of us who tried finding a load for them.

Colts4me

Banned
FALaholic #
I bought a hundred and the tool it takes to seat the bullet into the sabot. Going to try a few in a 308 bolt action just for fun.

Looking at the amount of powder it seems a lot for the velocity. I guess what matters is its out of a 30 cal.

Interesting loading tool to load the bullet into the flechett, you can feel it grab the bullet as you use your press to assemble rounds

If I can get it to shoot straight its going on a rat hunt at my brothers place in Eastern Oregon.

Useing Hornaday 55 grain bullets with lead tip.

hagar

FALaholic #
Friend of mine shot a coyote with a factory round, it pretty much dismembered it. Had a pic at one time.

I tried loading some and did not have much luck with them, the only load that consistently shed the sabot and was reasonably accurate was with the Speer 52 gr hp. Forgot the load I used.

Colts4me

Banned
FALaholic #
Talked to the company and the guy was very informative. I believe they came up with the tool to place the bullet in the sabot to get more conformity. I have put together 100 sabots with 55 grain bullets and today is set to prepare some 308 loads. Resized brass last night for the project and today's trim and chamfer. I have the powder recommended so hopefully I can get the project rolling.

Delta-3

FALaholic #
Many years ago, my brother & I pulled some accelerators out of some 30-30's & loaded them with a 55g soft point in a 300 Win Mag. Powder charge was the same as we used for a 180g bullet (I think it was around 80 g's. We didn't know any better). Accuracy was "ok". Shot an antelope with it at about 100yds. Penetration wasn't much to speak of but it blew a whole the size of a cantaloupe in it's chest. You could stand there & see the organs on the inside. Death was instant but I'll never shoot another animal with one...4 legged anyway.

Colts4me

Banned
FALaholic #
Many years ago, my brother & I pulled some accelerators out of some 30-30's & loaded them with a 55g soft point in a 300 Win Mag. Powder charge was the same as we used for a 180g bullet (I think it was around 80 g's. We didn't know any better). Accuracy was "ok". Shot an antelope with it at about 100yds. Penetration wasn't much to speak of but it blew a whole the size of a cantaloupe in it's chest. You could stand there & see the organs on the inside. Death was instant but I'll never shoot another animal with one...4 legged anyway.
Loading data says it was traveling about 4400 fps.