• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

S&W K38, new to me

Pluribus

Testudo Sicario & Mediocris Albus Diaboli
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
A lot of videos on you tube shooting wad cutters. This one's 5 minutes but pretty good.

That’s pretty good shooting, especially with the 2 inch model. Even if he didn’t hit the bad guy he’s at least gonna scare the hell out of them, lol.

😎

Colts4me

Banned
FALaholic #
I could never shoot that accurate with my snubby, he even shot double action. :oops: I have long been impressed with wadcutters, I use hollow base and copy the old Speer manual number nine load with 231.

After getting interested in the thread I checked my bullet supply. Still have almost 2k of the Winchester 148 hbwc. If this damn rain let's up its time to shoot .

Pluribus

Testudo Sicario & Mediocris Albus Diaboli
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I could never shoot that accurate with my snubby, he even shot double action. :oops: I have long been impressed with wadcutters, I use hollow base and copy the old Speer manual number nine load with 231.

After getting interested in the thread I checked my bullet supply. Still have almost 2k of the Winchester 148 hbwc. If this damn rain let's up its time to shoot .
I have a couple of pistol builds I’m working on and then I’m going to re-immerse myself in reloading. I haven’t touched anything in the way of any of my reloading equipment in over 15 years and I got it back in about seven different boxes eight years ago when I got divorced. It’s all been sitting out in the tool shed all that time. I won’t be surprised if most of the dies are in poor condition and picked up some rust. I’m sure everything else I can recondition and use it but, I may have to re-invest in some new dies.

Colts4me: you should try some of the wax bullet loads I was telling Adam about also. Just a lot of damn fun indoors. I shot wax boolitz in my living room, in my family room, in the garage, in the basement, well… You get the idea. Just pretty much noiseless except for the sound of the action cycling. I’m pretty sure like I told Adam also, you’ll just Giggle the first few times you do it. Pingk, pingk. That’s the sound. Try it and see if I’m right. 🤓

Oh and BTW, I always shoot a double action revolver double action. I have two bobbed hammer 2 inch J frames and I think next time I get out in the countryside with one or both of them I’m gonna try my hand at shooting them 100 yards. 😎

Colts4me

Banned
FALaholic #
I have a couple of pistol builds I’m working on and then I’m going to re-immerse myself in reloading. I haven’t touched anything in the way of any of my reloading equipment in over 15 years and I got it back in about seven different boxes eight years ago when I got divorced. It’s all been sitting out in the tool shed all that time. I won’t be surprised if most of the dies are in poor condition and picked up some rust. I’m sure everything else I can recondition and use it but, I may have to re-invest in some new dies.

Colts4me: you should try some of the wax bullet loads I was telling Adam about also. Just a lot of damn fun indoors. I shot wax boolitz in my living room, in my family room, in the garage, in the basement, well… You get the idea. Just pretty much noiseless except for the sound of the action cycling. I’m pretty sure like I told Adam also, you’ll just Giggle the first few times you do it. Pingk, pingk. That’s the sound. Try it and see if I’m right. 🤓

Oh and BTW, I always shoot a double action revolver double action. I have two bobbed hammer 2 inch J frames and I think next time I get out in the countryside with one or both of them I’m gonna try my hand at shooting them 100 yards. 😎
My indoor practice ammo was the Speer cases and bullets. Before my wife died it was the cheapest way to shoot and saving money was important. Bullets and cases are reusable.

Don't shoot indoors now as it upsets my dog and cat. :LOL:

No really I gave a bunch of gear to the nephews when they needed to practice.

gw104

FALaholic #
S&W revolvers are the only revolvers for me. Just never really cared much for the Colts and Rugers. Nothing better than a nice older model 36 or 60 for my Sunday go to meeting gun. Have a 2.5inch blue 19 with all the bells and whistles on that was made in the 70s that will never leave until I'm at room temperature.

Wildcat

FALaholic #
I played with wax slugs in a 625.
Back when lead-free primers were under development, Winchester made brass with enlarged flash-holes to work with the new compound. The NT primer composition was more brisant than the poisonous stuff so, to reduce the primer thrust, Winchester opened up the flash-holes in 45s. There were cries of doom from some nervous reloaders about potentially getting large FH brass mixed in with the regular brass.
1651441800461.png

I found a bunch of those and used them for wax bullets.
The wax slugs develop some velocity with a std LPP. I'd be choosy about what I shot at with them. The piece of carpet I tried to use as a back-stop was inadequate.

Winchester eventually solved their NT primer-thrust problem by going to small pistol primers (even in 45s) and crimping the primers into the shells.

Gazz

FALaholic #
Years ago a buddy and I went to a local gun show that was held in the high school (oh the horror!) and a dealer had S&W Model 10 snubbies for $100 and Model 36 snubs for $125, all police trade ins. We each bought Model 10s. At the local sand pit, a paper plate was used as a target at 100 yards or so and after a few ranging shots, we were able to hit the plate quite regularly. We were quite impressed with ourselves! I don't think we used wadcutters though and most likely 158 gr SWC that we had loaded.

Timber Wolf

FALaholic #
Years ago a buddy and I went to a local gun show that was held in the high school (oh the horror!) and a dealer had S&W Model 10 snubbies for $100 and Model 36 snubs for $125, all police trade ins. We each bought Model 10s. At the local sand pit, a paper plate was used as a target at 100 yards or so and after a few ranging shots, we were able to hit the plate quite regularly. We were quite impressed with ourselves! I don't think we used wadcutters though and most likely 158 gr SWC that we had loaded.
How long ago was that?

Gazz

FALaholic #
That was probably late 80's. I think I had to have it transferred to me since the show was in Portsmouth, NH and I was living in MA. I still have it but put some smooth laminated wood grips (or stocks as SA&W calls) on it.

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Thanks everybody! I'm super excited about it. Pretty sure I'm gonna have to fight the wifey for shooting time with it though, she loves revolvers but dislikes my Blackhawk and Vaquero due to their weight and recoil.

My wife found one of my Colt Diamondbacks (all like new, meticulously cared for and vault stored) shot it then found three others in vault. Two 4" and one 6" in 38 special, kidnapped them and staged one under her pillow, one in cushion of sofa on side she sits and put the other in a drawer of utensils in kitchen. Saw the one in kitchen drawer and asked whats up, she said saw on in vault so decided to shoot it and it was the most comfortable gun she had fired in a while with her bone disease so found two others, loaded with those "pink bullets" Hornady Critical Defense Low Recoil and got the three she could find. Almost 30 years ago she saw one of my two AMT 380 Backups and took it because was so tiny, saw the other and took it. I kept buying more for me (preferred GTFOM pocket gun) and she would kidnap till we owned seven. Last time she shot one broke three bones in her hand so bought her a Walther PK 380 mid frames pistol which she loves and now has three. If my wife finds a gun and likes it I am toast.

Tried to tell her the Diamondbacks were $2,000 plus wheelguns now and have several similar Smith and Wessons can pull but she says the Smiths are not as smooth and easy to shoot as the Colts. Told her the Pythons can "only" shoot 357 Mag ammo or she would have them scattered around under truck seats and such. But what can you do, she never compains about me buying guns so if kidnaps three of my Diamondbacks it tought me to hide the other two way deep in a vault she has trouble opening. Tried to explain all Colts, especially snake guns, need to be discussed before she kidnaps them but don't think it will take. Glad my 1st and 2nd edition Cobra's ar so small as she is getting to where all small guns hurt to shoot unless rimfire.

VALMET

M62/76
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Hard to beat a vintage K-frame .38 IMO. I love taking my 6” Model 14 to the range and plinking with it...never gets old. I know lots of folks like the Colts, but I’ve always been a S&W guy.