• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Ross Goodness.....

VALMET

M62/76
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Neat rifles. I owned a Mk III a few years back and what a pike, folks think M1917s are awkward, you could almost pole vault with a Mk III.

They’re scarce compared to the other variants and eventually a gent offered me enough for mine that I let it go…sold the book “The Ross Rifle Story” for a mint also.

enbloc8

FALaholic #
Neat rifles. I owned a Mk III a few years back and what a pike, folks think M1917s are awkward, you could almost pole vault with a Mk III.
Yes. Stuffing one into a case to go to the range was always quite a challenge. And then finding enough rod sections or pullthrough pieces to clean it afterward....

lew

FALaholic #
Yes. Stuffing one into a case to go to the range was always quite a challenge. And then finding enough rod sections or pullthrough pieces to clean it afterward....
No need for a bayonet when one could just walk 'em with the muzzle.

tac-40

Moderator, Armed Curmudgeon
Staff member
FALaholic #
Read a book about a Canadian sniper in WWI. All his compatriots loved the Ross rifles for their accuracy. He stated his unit never had issues with them but the also trained on their operation and maintenance often. I thought it funny when he discussed ammo selection. They would go back to the ammo dumps and then take samples of each lot number. They would shoot each for groups in each rifle then go back and and "requisition" all they could of that good lot number. Subsequent return trips were made for that lot number until gone. Then do it all over again. The "snipers" really liked the Ross. A little about one of the Ross rifle shooters.

Last edited:

richbug

FALaholic #

Any other Ross fans?

krf
I have a 1905 Unfortunately it is missing the wood forward of the mid barrel band and the front barrel band. My wood is much lighter colored.

The magazine "shuffle" button is a neat feature... My son killed a few deer with it last year in is quest to use as many oddball rifles for hunting as possible.

enbloc8

FALaholic #
Read a book about a Canadian sniper in WWI. All his compatriots loved the Ross rifles for their accuracy. He stated his unit never had issues with them but the also trained on their operation and maintenance often. I thought it funny when he discussed ammo selection. They would go back to the ammo dumps and then take samples of each lot number. They would shoot each for groups in each rifle then go back and and "requisition" all they could of that good lot number. Subsequent return trips were made for that lot number until gone. Then do it all over again. The "snipers" really liked the Ross. A little about one of the Ross rifle shooters.

Was that book "A Rifleman Went To War"? I really liked that author's description of long-range machine gun doctrine...using their tripod-mounted Vickers guns as essentially light artillery. The application where the US found M1906 ball literally "fell short", and set about developing M1 Ball ammo as a result.

enbloc8

FALaholic #
I have a 1905 Unfortunately it is missing the wood forward of the mid barrel band and the front barrel band. My wood is much lighter colored.

The magazine "shuffle" button is a neat feature... My son killed a few deer with it last year in is quest to use as many oddball rifles for hunting as possible.
Years ago I had the chance to purchase two M1905s. Unfortunately, while they were intact, they were former parade rifles and had been chromed. It would have probably cost more than they were worth (at the time) to have them un-chromed and restored.

VALMET

M62/76
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
HW McBride did tout the accuracy and precision of the Ross Mk III during his time with the Canadians from 1915-17 in “A Rifleman Went to War.” IIRC as a sharpshooter he was able to retain his Ross in 1916 after it was replaced in front line service by the SMLE.

Last edited:

kmurphy

FALaholic #

Rossriflerestoration.com
There is a fellow in Canada making reproduction stock sets. About $600 or so if I recall. I think he offered donor fore-ends for repair also.

richbug

FALaholic #
Rossriflerestoration.com
There is a fellow in Canada making reproduction stock sets. About $600 or so if I recall. I think he offered donor fore-ends for repair also.
Yeah I found him. Also found a guy offering the front band... $300. Its a neat rifle but I am not sinking a $1000 into it. I may graft a hunk of wood onto the forend and cobble up a band if I get ambitious.