• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Rifle 7.62mm Automatic L2A1 SAW

paco

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Hi,
Long time no see. I got an free evening since a long time without beeing on an exercise, competition shooting, organising a collectors meeting, doing a reading or whatever. So, i made quickly some pics on this weardo rifle.
I have it since some months but haven't got the chance to have a look on it.
To me, this is one of the most ugly "FAL's " i have. But, it is a hard to get item here in Europe. Regardless it condition, i bought it anyway.

Some details for the builders...

I noticed that you really hurt yourself if you reload the L2A1 the normal way you handle a FALmagazine. Don't take it up high or you get stuck!

If you know a lot on this L2A1, please write it down. I love to learn more on this ugly L2A1.
I hope to make some more pics on a few other FAL's that followed me home.

Have a good one.
Mil Ex tomorrow; i'm off...

Paco

Last edited:

gunplumber

Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
I had a few minutes between running electric in the new garage, relocating some birds, building beautiful rifles, digging a trench for a new power line (that sucked), filling a bunch of orders, and otherwise basking in the awesomeness that is me - so I can answer your question.

Needs the Austrian hinge pin replaced with commonwealth.

Only 411 L2A1s were made in '65 which maybe explains the odd serial number format. Normally it would be AD65 0195

AD65 0187 to AD65 0311 went to New Zealand

Last edited:

NZ L1A1 Collector

Moderator & Collectaholic
FALaholic #

I noticed that you really hurt yourself if you reload the L2A1 the normal way you handle a FAL magazine. Don't take it up high or you get stuck!

If you know a lot on this L2A1, please write it down. I love to learn more on this ugly L2A1.
I hope to make some more pics on a few other FAL's that followed me home.
Paco
Nice to see a Kiwi in the wild.

You soon learn to hold the mag lower when changing them, a bit like learning not to get 'Gas Fingers' on the Steyr AUG.

I notice your top cover/tangant sight is miss-matched. The sights were serial numbered to the rifle, in your case the cover is for L2A1 AD621172. When they were sold off the civilian market was unaware of this and just swapped them around. Your rifle was sold out of New Zealand in the early/mid 90's. Because the the government said we (Collectors) weren't allow to buy them they had top be sold overseas, so they were sent to England (hence the BNP mark) and then imported back into New Zealand which was allowed. In the same shipment were L2A3 Sterlings and 7.62mm L4A4 Brens. The same thing happened to the Canadian OPP 8L C1A1 rifles (Exported/imported into Canada).

Andy the Aussie

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Interesting on the space in the serial numbers, I guess Ian got it wrong in his book.
……like any book written there will be some. I am aware of a few with the serial number lists (destination etc) having compared the book with the original records. That said it remains one of the most valuable works on the subject.

NZ L1A1 Collector

Moderator & Collectaholic
FALaholic #
It seem from 1965 on-wards they (Lithgow) decided it took too much time to stamp/engrave the extra '0' with their L2A1 rifles serial numbers and continued to the end of production with the ADXX XXX format.

I think it was simply because they could see production for each year wouldn't surpass 1000 units. I haven't seen the Lithgow L2A1 serial number ledger, there maybe a note in it as to the reason for dropping of the middle zero.

def90

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
The Peoples' Republic of Boulder, Colorado
It seem from 1965 on-wards they (Lithgow) decided it took too much time to stamp/engrave the extra '0' with their L2A1 rifles serial numbers and continued to the end of production with the ADXX XXX format.

I think it was simply because they could see production for each year wouldn't surpass 1000 units. I haven't seen the Lithgow L2A1 serial number ledger, there maybe a note in it as to the reason for dropping of the middle zero.
Only thing I can think of is that it would be an easy identifier for knowing which lowers had the full auto plungers in them or not if parts got messed up some how.