• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Rhodie A5, Remington M11, Browning Police Model & Every Custom Can Consider

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Unless more have found there way from South Africa to my knowledge I have the last unbuilt Rhodesian A5 shotgun conversion kit left. When it arrived I had two A5s but one was my FILs after his father passed it to him and other have had for decades with a +7 or +8 extended tube and fiber optic sight that can be removed and bead cover the hole. Used one of the "magnet" slap on fiber optics then threaded a shallow blind hole where bead came off so has one screw backing up the neodymium magnets. An A5 with 12 or thirteen rounds of #4 Buck mixed with BBs (duplex shells) is a guaranteed party pleaser. Also both are in stunning condition as the relative that owned it was like FIL and dad taking meticulous care of their scattergun.

Began a hunt for a ratty A5 to Silver solder fill the engraving then sand receiver smooth, do an approximate reproduction of proof marks, stamp POL and FN on bottom of receiver, add RA in front of serial number (not altering number as all Rhodies the numbers are the serial, RA is not used for 4473/BATF) cut appropriate length, add bead and fit kit. Bought three A5s online that looked worn in photos, got cheap because of pics but were in pristine shape when arrived. Started hunting a FN import instead of a Browning and finally scored but purchased a Reminton M11 which are American Made A5s used in WW 2. About only difference in a Rhodie and a Remington is the Remington does not have recessed groove in forearm it's just a rounded piece of wood but same dimensions as the Rhodie AND the Browning Police Model both of which have more people wanting to clone than the Rhodies.

My part time guy texted me a photo of contents of box he found in my ham shack at work (he was cleaning and dusting equipment) with the Rhodie repopulate forearm, the magazine tube which has to be chrome moly because it's part of the action buf is correct length with correct thread pitch at both ends. Also in box are two wood A5 forearms, two polymer forearms and a stock and three end caps with swivels. Had him deliver the tube to a machine shop and the box of forearms to a CNC furniture company that says once they scan the repop Rhodie stock (supplied them with photos of real Rhodie and M11 forearms that owners pulled tape measures and snapped pics inside and out) along with the factory stocks they say can scan and correct fit issues so it's a drop on part after owner finishes to suit. Can add groove to half the units and delete to copy the WW 2 Remington M11 and if buy a couple dozen of each the price isn't cheap but its reasonable. Machine shop is doing a bid on the magazine tube and more buy cheaper they get but going to have another shop or two bid it which both have CNC lathes so dont pay a machinist to turn the part once its rendered into G Code.

Browning_Rhodie_A5_002.jpg

Browning_Rhodie_A5_006.jpg

Browning_Rhodie_A5_003.jpg

Browning_Rhodie_A5_004.jpg

Browning_Rhodie_A5_001.jpg

Browning_Rhodie_A5_005.jpg

While,researching seen all these cool Browning A5 customs. Really like some plus idea of adding screw in rifled choke, breaching choke, good sights, red dots, etc. Have seven A5s now plus the Belgian and keep finding more cheap. A C More red dot on top of first pictured custom or other N.V. compatable dot, screw in chokes (especially a rifled for slugs and breached for door locks) and it would be a monster. If go ahead and get my FFL may just fire up my machines, farm out the wood and build about six Rhodies, six M11s and six Police Models on spec and see if they sell. If not just add to my pile of ARs and other piles like Mini 14s and 10/22s.

1946_Browning_A5_001.jpg

Rifled_Choke_A5_001.jpg

Breaching_Choke_A5_001.jpg

Custom_Browning_A5_006.jpg

Custom_Browning_A5_002.jpg

Browning_Custom_A5_007.jpg

Browning_Custom_A5_010.jpg

Browning_Custom_A5_011.jpg

Custom_Browning_A5_003.jpg

Browning_Custom_A5_008.jpg

Custom_Browning_A5_007.jpg

Custom_Browning_A5_001.jpg

Browning_Custom_A5_009.jpg

And here is the Master Blaster full length A5 with full length forearm. The furniture company says if want the forearms custom lengths if mixed in with the master run will only be a minimum up charge. I am considering two Rhodie kits, two M11 kits and two Browning Police kits plus a Master Blaster just for myself. The key is going to be the cost on the machining of the magazine tubes but some extended magazine tubes have a swivel end and furniture company wants to see my extended tube gun as think they can machine the forearms so instead of replacing that tube add a extended tube and spring for a $100 to $150 bucks and hide the union in the stock.

Browning_Rhodie_A5_Jumbo_001.jpg

For the dozen or so people who have tried to buy my unbuilt Rhodie kit dont worry, just been waiting till able to get back active in the world and may be able to make folks on a dozen forums happy, not just a single person plus it will be wood (polymer of prefer) instead of fiberglass or whatever the kits are with very little if any hand finishing. May even "rent/loan" stamp kits to get enough correct markings they look legit but wont be so exact they fool someone that can use Google. Not going down the exact copy to last little proof mark and allow folks fo pass off reproductions.

Nihonto Chicken

FALaholic #
Interested in your outcome, have a couple of no steel shot, non-collectible A5s in need of HD updates. Re your statement below

The key is going to be the cost on the machining of the magazine tubes but some extended magazine tubes have a swivel end and furniture company wants to see my extended tube gun as think they can machine the forearms so instead of replacing that tube add a extended tube and spring for a $100 to $150 bucks and hide the union in the stock.
I had the same idea a while back, but it didn't arouse much interest among the A8 wannabees, see 11/23/23 post below.

The problem with a mag tube extension is that either the receiver end nut will bottom out first on the fore end, leaving an internal gap between the mag tube and tube extension that could snag a shell rim or spring coil and screw up feeding, or the extension tube will bottom first on the shotgun mag tube, leaving an external gap that must be filled with a washer of some type to provide locking force on the fore end, as in the WECSOGery described above.

I'm thinking of a simple threaded mag extension tube without locking collar, plus a separate, long (~ 1 3/4"), thick threaded tube. First screw the threaded tube down to lock the fore end, leaving an inch or so free, then screw the extension tube in until it bottoms on the original mag tube. Enough force screwing in the extension tube should provide somewhat a locking force akin to adjacent lock nuts on a threaded shaft (too force much will distort the mating tube ends), maybe employ some blue Lock Tite to help insure cohesion integrity.

The question is, in order to make the WECSOG connecting tube, where to source the proper tube stock, and who can make a tap to mate the original mag tube Acme type threads, and what would such cost? Enquiring minds! 🤪

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Have my extended tube at a machine shop that is replicating it using a scrap piece of seamless chrome moly tube they had. This will be free then based on machining time and cost of materials will get a price per unit for machine time then see how many can get out of a stock length piece of tube copying the "South African" kits for guts and making the forearms from wood on a CNC instead of whatever that stuff mine is made from.