• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Replaced my F250 today

TerryN

FALaholic #
I want one. I have to make to two left turns to get to 7-11. I can't see oncoming traffic cuz there is usually somebody in an SUV in the opposing left turn lane.

With a big a$$ truck like that, I could see over everybody.
Trust me, Mebs, them things are a beatch to drive in city traffic. People generally give you a wide berth, but... not always.

Tak

FALaholic #
I always wanted a bobbed deuce, but I have memories of driving those things and they're not happy ones.

Drove one from Gulfport, Ms., our unit home base, all up and down the East and West coast for several years. Looked like this and included a trailer with two Onan generators in tow. We didn't have the fancy super singles, flats sucked balls.

View attachment 381817

Lots of them for sale.
Great, now I want one!

Stranger

FALaholic #
Well sorry of yesterday and today...

Went on a 700 mile round trip to get my new truck. 1987 AM General M35A2. Was cheaper than the repairs Ford wanted to fix the 5.4 triton after its motor grenaded.

Averages 12.5mpg driving it back on country roads from Barns KS to its home.

View attachment 381726
Does it have air-assist steering? If not, you will have Popeye arms in no time. Its like a vehicle and upper body exercise machine all-in-one.

Here's my favorite. The super singles make steering 1.5 times more difficult.

1707253485610.jpeg

Also, it looks like you are missing tires and rims in back. I am looking to give away the ones I pulled off mine. I can provide the inner and outer lug nuts as well.

1707253576008.jpeg

Cessnapilot89

Contributor
FALaholic #
Does it have air-assist steering? If not, you will have Popeye arms in no time. Its like a vehicle and upper body exercise machine all-in-one.

View attachment 382200

Also, it looks like you are missing tires and rims in back. I am looking to give away the ones I pulled off mine. I can provide the inner and outer lug nuts as well.

View attachment 382202
I could definitely use them! I have the missing ones in the bed currently, but they need some love.

medicmike

Midsommar Dreaming
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I had an M35a2 for a while, sold it almost 20 years ago. They were worth a lot less then. Traded an M880 straight across for it.

Was desert camo, a pic shortly after I got it, Oregon Dunes near Coos Bay with a friend's M60.

1707261589708.png

Repainted and added a ring mount.

1707261505727.png

Then added a communication shelter and converted that to a camper.

1707261546984.png

It was a very fun rig!

aron82

FALaholic #

View attachment 382200

View attachment 382202
The super singles made the steering more difficult? That surprises me. Good to know though. Any other downsides to them?

Definitely prefer how the super singles look.

Stranger

FALaholic #
The super singles made the steering more difficult? That surprises me. Good to know though. Any other downsides to them?

Definitely prefer how the super singles look.
The tread pattern and compound are more "grabby" and the increased friction translates to more force required. You can't turn them at a stop. They weight 550 pounds each... that's a shit load of unsprung mass. A ton and a half of wheel/tire. You can trim that down to ~350 each if you disassemble and remove the run-flat insert. Supposedly it's harder on the bearings, but I have yet to notice any accelerated wear.

I agree they make the trucks look even more kick ass.

aron82

FALaholic #
How difficult are the run flats to remove?
I've been told to avoid trucks with ctis (central tire inflation systems) as they have all kinds of issues 3 leaks.
A few years ago I had a chance to buy an ideal truck, but hesitated and it sold. 79 Cummins 8.3 with a manual transmission, bobbed with a military trailer bed for 15k.
I think at this point I'd prefer a 6x6 if I'm getting a 5 ton or 2 1/2 ton.
For a smaller rig would love a Volvo c303 with a recoilless rifle.

Stranger

FALaholic #
How difficult are the run flats to remove?
I've been told to avoid trucks with ctis (central tire inflation systems) as they have all kinds of issues 3 leaks.
A few years ago I had a chance to buy an ideal truck, but hesitated and it sold. 79 Cummins 8.3 with a manual transmission, bobbed with a military trailer bed for 15k.
I think at this point I'd prefer a 6x6 if I'm getting a 5 ton or 2 1/2 ton.
For a smaller rig would love a Volvo c303 with a recoilless rifle.
Not hard to remove at all. Lots of guys do it. I keep them on because, if one of them goes flat, I can drive it home (or a truck shop). I'm not going to fuck around changing 500+ lbs of flat tire on the side of the road. There's a reason young, fit men are responsible for maintaining/operating them in the military.

Andy2205

FALaholic #

View attachment 382200

View attachment 382202
Check around, if you really want to rid yourself of those round things. My brother belongs to a military vehicle club and there are guys out there that would love those things. Of course the hard thing is to get them to the right folks. They network and move things for each other.

As for the camper rig, our unit had a mix of comm trucks and flatbeds. It was a navigation unit and when we packed out all our gear went in the comm's truck and the tower went in the flatbed. One of the two would tow a trailer with two Onan generators (depending on where the towers were to be erected). On site, all the life support gear and electronics gear came out of the comm's truck and it usually got parked at the antenna site for security. Camping out in that thing to provide security sucked donkey balls. No electricity, no A/C, not even a chemical toilet.

Last edited:

machinegunner

FALaholic #
I get about 18-19 mpg out of our 2007 F350 with the 6.0 diesel.

EDIT. Just went out to see if the truck would tell me what mileage it is getting so I could take a picture, and nope, no display for that. But my son in law had figured out the mileage, and he's pretty sharp.
The display on my ‘06 6.0 gave me 18-20 mpg highway and that would drop to 13 every time a standpipe started going. (No idea how accurate the readout was)

They suck to work on and I needed to do the oil cooler but ended up selling it instead.

Cessnapilot89

Contributor
FALaholic #
The display on my ‘06 6.0 gave me 18-20 mpg highway and that would drop to 13 every time a standpipe started going. (No idea how accurate the readout was)

They suck to work on and I needed to do the oil cooler but ended up selling it instead.
My boss's 05 with a 6.0 exploded and left me stuck in Rural Nebraska this summer

Cessnapilot89

Contributor
FALaholic #
Was getting the additional tires filled and installed and must say tire cages are great. Had 2 sidewall failures on the split rings.

Now to fix the temperature sender. Got the 140 grease fittings serviced and new fuel and oil filters coming.

stickp

FALaholic #
Had one when I was still logging. Bought a parts truck to cannibalize. Added 5 feet of frame and moved the axles back. Doubled the springs. Built a set of standards for hauling logs. I have brought over 14 tons out of the woods with that rig. Only have a m715 now.

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Cesnapilot, Ditch the split rims if you can.
A lot of shops won't work on them and they can be very dangerous if they let go.
Yup, 6 stud budd wheels in 22.5 tubeless are out there, but not near as cheap as 10 stud tubeless wheels. Even seen 6 stud Aluminum wheels for motorhomes. Putting tubeless wheels on 5tons (10 stud) is pretty common on the farms in this area. Most all the military tube type tires are dry rotted to hell.

Cessnapilot89

Contributor
FALaholic #
Yup, 6 stud budd wheels in 22.5 tubeless are out there, but not near as cheap as 10 stud tubeless wheels. Even seen 6 stud Aluminum wheels for motorhomes. Putting tubeless wheels on 5tons (10 stud) is pretty common on the farms in this area. Most all the military tube type tires are dry rotted to hell.
I'll keep an eye out!