• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Refurb L1A1 shooting

raubvogel

Contributor
FALaholic #
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.full30.com/embed/MDI0OTM1" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" seamless="seamless" allowfullscreen></iframe>
He claims about 1.6MOA from bag, which has been exhaustively demonstrated in this very site to be impossible in a FAL, as shown in the quest for a 2MOA FAL thread. :whistling:

Last edited:

Artigas

FALaholic #
I was watching, but didnt see it ever show the actual target or range he was shooting at.

I mean I can go shoot a bad ass group at 50 yards with the camera focused on me and tell you it was shot at 300yds.
There was a computer showing the hits on target. I am also strongly disinclined to believe the Bloke would fake a shoot like that.

raubvogel

Contributor
FALaholic #
There was a computer showing the hits on target. I am also strongly disinclined to believe the Bloke would fake a shoot like that.
Exactly. AFAIK, all the ranges in Switzerland use electronic targets similar to the one CMP used in its new range.

I’d like to know what he did to “refurbish” it. Re-barrel with Lilja,or better yet Proof Research?:whistling:
I would expect Enfield or whatever Armory the British Army used (hence "factory"), and it was then bagged and stored until being finally sold out. The proofing he meant could be the required for imported firearms. That is my conjecture; you could ask him. :whistling: I think he'd have no qualms describing how he ended up with it.

Last edited:

sparkeyboaz

Paid Lifetime Faloholic
Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
Thanks for sharing!

I watched the video and got the impression that the shooter knew how to shoot.
He obviously has the capability with the iron sights to say the least.
Great example of an L1A1 shoot!
Thanks again for sharing!
Sparkeyboaz

raubvogel

Contributor
FALaholic #
I asked him in the comments section. Just got a curt response from him "it's an L1A1" I followed with a response for a more in depth answer-crickets.
Seeing his comment section has only 3 replies, it sounds like someone has been sanitizing them. If that was him, my opinion about the Bloke would have dropped a bit.

It is Switzerland!
Exactly. AFAIK the outdoor ranges there have to have that unless it is one of their large competitions. And that caused a few ranges to close down as that gear is expensive since only a few systems are approved.

crashmaniac

Semper Gumby
Contributor
FALaholic #
Thats same system CMP and a few private ranges use here in the states. Id like to know what FACTORY refurbed that rifle, unless its like a previous poster said was FTR’d by one of the various arsenals and stowed in war stocks until sold recently as surplus perhaps.

Other then that the only places I know of are my Garage (and that of some of you gents) and Mark’s Shop of course. Only way I can get a group like that to show with any of mine is if I fire about 50 rounds into the target at 100 meters with the rifle sandbagged then it looks fantastic, but only 5 -7 rounds no , the groups are 2.5-4 MOA ...and they all stack, meaning groups go straight up and down. He is either the finest SLR shot I have ever seen, or he’s FOS.

I mean is it possible, sure , lighting fire to my farts and flying is possible too. But I seriously doubt it. Maybe with a SUIT but with regular SLR Irons I doubt it .

Was he maybe only shooting at 25M or maybe 50 ? Then Id say maybe

Thundermaker

Contributor
FALaholic #
Thats same system CMP and a few private ranges use here in the states. Id like to know what FACTORY refurbed that rifle, unless its like a previous poster said was FTR’d by one of the various arsenals and stowed in war stocks until sold recently as surplus perhaps.

Other then that the only places I know of are my Garage (and that of some of you gents) and Mark’s Shop of course. Only way I can get a group like that to show with any of mine is if I fire about 50 rounds into the target at 100 meters with the rifle sandbagged then it looks fantastic, but only 5 -7 rounds no , the groups are 2.5-4 MOA ...and they all stack, meaning groups go straight up and down. He is either the finest SLR shot I have ever seen, or he’s FOS.

I mean is it possible, sure , lighting fire to my farts and flying is possible too. But I seriously doubt it. Maybe with a SUIT but with regular SLR Irons I doubt it .

Was he maybe only shooting at 25M or maybe 50 ? Then Id say maybe
That's the outdoor range he typically shoots at in his videos. He always says it's 300 meters.

tac-40

Moderator, Armed Curmudgeon
Staff member
FALaholic #
Well, he posted that the black was 60 cm in diameter. That equals about 23½ inches. That means that from bull to edge is 11 inches. 300 yds MOA is 3 inches and 2 MOA would be 6 inches. The groups I saw on the screen were all about half of one side of the black or larger. That means he was shooting on either side of 2 MOA. Kind of what people have been saying for long time. FALs are +2MOA rifles.

Riversidesports

keeping it cool
FALaholic #
Christ this is getting real Lame

all this bantering about MOA is real stupid shit guys
Garands were typically well over 2MOA
what you suppose K98s were huh ?
SMLEs
Lord I can go on and on with regards to all this crap
most were 3 to 4 MOA brandy assed new including rock stock M14s
BATTLE RIFLES boy bots
in the actual field any bedding was lost
seen Garands with mint bores that were lucky to do 3MOA, old DCM guns

I built one L1 years ago that was a 1MOA gun, pure luck
all new Canadian bits and barrel
just went together right
wasn't by any plan at all

Okay, how about AKs ?
if a FAL is a 3 or 4 MOA gun most AKs just have to be like 8+ MOA
they are not
mostly made up shit adopted by goofs

further MOA is mostly meaningless in typical contact range in America
you live with forests you won't be shooting long range
So other than a few States you shoot at 100 yards or less mostly
guess what, MOA don't play much into that distance
shit, nearly all killing in Rhodesia and the SA was under 100 yards and that was largely open terrain.

Most shots during WWII were very WELL under a 100 yards
VietNam was often under 50'