• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Recomendations on Muffs for Hearing Protection

Bubacus

FALaholic #
My wife saw my hearing old hearing muffs the other day that still work well, but are in rough shape. She want an idea for a Christmas present. I've only used passive muffs in the past. I've tried a few electronic ones of friends and never really liked them because they didn't seem to work as effectively as passive ones. That being said I'm pretty behind the times though on what electronic ones may work well and my buddies muffs might have been cheap. Any recomendations on either passive or electronic muffs? The muffs are going to be general purpose use, including shooting .22's to .308s and shotguns.

Thanks

SWOHFAL

FALaholic #

Regarding above site - I don't care about bluetooth, music, phone calls etc, just protection levels and their top pick offers less protection than their third and several subsequent picks, though does cost less.

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Electronic muffs have their place I suppose. I own a pair and don't like them much.

Cheap foamie earplugs work for me when I don't need significant attenuation.

Shooting highpower rifle in enclosed spaces sucks without plugs AND muffs.

I like the cheap low profile muffs I buy off ebay. They don't get in the way of the buttstock much, and if I'm double-plugged (shut up you perverts), I can lift the right-side muff a bit, and still not blow my ears out.

meltblown

Social Influencer for the Feds
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I'll watch this and see. I have to wear double. Earplugs never come out in case someone shoots before I get the muffs back on. Tinnitus is bad enough already. Let a shot go with nothing in and it goes from a buzz to a sure enough ringing.

ByronF

FALaholic #
I like my Walkers well enough at $60. If shooting with others electronic muffs are fairly valuable for speaking to one another. They are not at all directional but for my purposes theyre fine.

def90

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
The Peoples' Republic of Boulder, Colorado
Been using the Howard Leight Impact Sports for years, keep an extra set in my gear bag for when I bring friends along.

swedishmauser

FALaholic #
I use earplugs and passive earmuffs. When I was looking for replacement earmuffs, I wanted one with the highest noise reduction rating available. Daniel Defense is one that has one of the higher noise reduction ratings (34-37 decibels). They are reasonably priced when on sale for the protection provided, though shipping mitigates this somewhat.

DECIBEL DEFENSE SAFETY EAR MUFF
Regular price$ 38.99 Sale price$ 21.97

Last edited:

lew

FALaholic #
My ears are really sensitive to noise, so I'll double up with Surefire Sonic Defenders and Howard Leights. The H-L's are fine on their own if I'm not shooting under cover and/or we're not shooting braked rifles. They're also cheap enough to make an extra set affordable. My first set is going strong after fiver years, though.

I actually sold my MSA Sordins for a nice margin and bought the H-L's. Performance is close enough, though the Sordin's are far more water-resistant. If it's raining, I can just wear plugs.

MordeanGrey

FALaholic #
I wore Walker's electronic muffs for an all-day pistol course last year. They were great.

It's nice to have the enhanced sound for hearing the instructor. You can actually hear much better with the enhancement than without. For example, you can hear distant conversations that would normally be impossible to understand. People talking quietly 30 feet away, etc.

The automatic cutoff that protects you from the gunshots worked well.

Hard to beat for less than $40 in my opinion.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AAH8CMA/?tag=akfnfal-20

NK2000

FALaholic #
I tried the Caldwell E-Max and they work well, clipping loud sounds and enhancing lower volumes. They are about as cheap as passive hearing protection too at about $25 each.

Also, whatever hearing protection you choose, keep in mind that the bottom of the earcup will hit a stock when you are shooting. The Caldwell has the bottom portion that is shaved off at 45 degrees at the bottom to prevent this. You also want a low profile model that is not too bulky.

Trypcil

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Howard Leight do a slim and wide versions - slim is what?- around 23db and the wide 30 - the slim works fine with a fal, the wide tends to be annoyingly in the way - but fine with bolt guns and Aks - $110 should get you both!

mrbieler

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Been using MSA Sordin Supremes for years. Doubled up with Surefire Sonic Defenders when indoors. I have the behind the head style but stole a overhead set from the Gaston Glock store before they closed for $100 delivered with the gel cups. Gel cups make a world of difference over the course of a day of shooting. Fit better around the shooting glasses as well. I only use lithium primary cells in them. Have had 0 issues.

Get her good comfortable ones. She's worth it. :)

Last edited: