• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Recent CMP rack grade

Vaughn L. Allen

FALaholic #
The most recent service grade that I purchased from CMP had reproduction gas parts, the gas cylinder is marked CMP on bayo lug, and furniture. The gas plug and lock are new production as well. I'm still waiting for another service grade to ship. I'm hoping that it has original parts and furniture!

AliYahu

FALaholic #
The most recent service grade that I purchased from CMP had reproduction gas parts, the gas cylinder is marked CMP on bayo lug, and furniture. The gas plug and lock are new production as well. I'm still waiting for another service grade to ship. I'm hoping that it has original parts and furniture!
They're supposedly out of almost everything now.
I should've shipped my order in November, and followed with another in January!

Eli

CTW

Contributor
FALaholic #
I've been shooting in CMP sanctioned events now for 2 years and have been going to the South store and TMP (Talladega Marksmanship Park) at least 2 times a year and looking at the rack grades I've seen can honestly say do yourself a favor and go with the field grade. A lot of the Rack grades I've seen look like the last of the Philippine rifles. Beat up stocks and sewer pipe barrels. They weren't even putting measurements on the barrels. My friend and I both bought very nice Field grades this year that could have passed for Service grades in my opinion.

paul fowler

FALaholic #
Your friend's rifle sounds like it could have been one of the early-mid 60s rebuilds by Letterkenny Army Depot. Everything refinished in a light gray (almost silver-gray) parkerizing and all new birch furniture, some of which was light yellow almost to the point of glowing. I've seen several at shows, they are indeed beautiful.
I have one!!

enbloc8

FALaholic #
Well, when were the last USGI Garand parts made...mid-60s?

Brasky

FALaholic #
The two rack grades I got in early 2023 were both extremely rough. I sold them and got my money back but I wouldn’t chance it on another. I’d spend the extra and get service grade.

I’m real disappointed they closed round 4 of the 1911 program before I was qualified to order a second 1911 (received the first in early 2023 so I didn’t qualify for a second until 2024). I thought that was kind of BS

Brasky

FALaholic #

mp

FALaholic #
I sent in an order for two service grade garands last week. Looking at the cmp forums turn around times right now are about 3.5-4 weeks. Looking at a second week of Jan delivery date hopefully.

Also have a packet in for my second 1911. Based on my number and the rate of packets they process a week I don't think I'll hear from them until early summer.
can we get a 2nd 1911 now?

Nathaniel01

FALaholic #
Considering the era in which this was done, the welds are excellent. My dad got one from each manufacturer before I was born, you have to look close to notice the welds. I have shot the IHC a bunch, no de-tracking of the op-rod or any issues!

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
On a tangent: Replacement Barrels have doubled and even tripled in price!
I used to keep one on hand for Rifles that would come in needing one, but Ho-Lee-Schitt!
There was a new Criterion barrel in the MP last week that like to never have sold. I nearly bought it, having no use for it at all, because it was a good deal. It finally sold, the last marked price was $180. I was surprised it took so long.

AliYahu

FALaholic #
There was a new Criterion barrel in the MP last week that like to never have sold. I nearly bought it, having no use for it at all, because it was a good deal. It finally sold, the last marked price was $180. I was surprised it took so long.
If it was .308 instead of '06, I'd have bought it.

Eli

FP1201

FALaholic #
If it was .308 instead of '06, I'd have bought it.

Eli
The .308 Rifles tend to be more temperamental than the '06 Rifles: it's a short Dwell time and less gas to operate the system.
I bought a Expert Grade IH in .308 from CMP and had to replace the gas cylinder, and run a finishing reamer to clean up a too tight chamber, new Springs and a near new Op-Rod and it's reliable now with surplus NATO and .308 Rounds...I don't recall opening the Gas Port, but I did pass a proper sized twist Drill bit through it to clean up the hole.

bill3542

FALaholic #
My son picked up a Expert grade locally on a FTF deal. he paid 1200 for it, the guy had 5 CMP Garands and was selling a couple off to pay bills.

It came with the case and all the documentation paperwork. all new wood, Criterion NM barrel, Springfield receiver and some Winchester parts. Some parts are blued and some appear parkerized.
I found 12 Garand clips locally for a buck each and picked him up another 20 off EBay for 2 bucks each.
Also found a new reproduction sling that had the WWII markings on it for his birthday.

I reload so I done up 300 reloads so far equivalent to M2 Ball spec ammo, go another 200 cases to do.
He loves it and has had it out plinking with it. No issues other than sight adjustment.