• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Ramshot TAC for 7.62x51

SteveW

FALaholic #
http://www.ramshot.com/powders/

Click the TAC button on the left.

Despite what the web page says, their loading manual (in the first set of buttons on the left) lists loads for 308.

I think it's pretty new, hence the question.

[edited to say that I just noticed that they bought Accurate Arms and the rights to all their powders. Check the press release section]

S.

gordonm1

FALaholic #
I tried it for my AR 10. It's a pretty fine ball powder. If you can't get it to meter well try a new powder measure. Starting load was pretty
good and it did not get much better using milsurp brass from Pat's. It's probably great powder for high volume loading for FAL.

I might be a little more spendy than Pat's WC 844. ( I have not tried it)

Today's groups shot slightly better with milsurp imr 4895 but only improved from 1.25" to 1". Not much difference.

Bullets were FNM FMJ milsurp from widener's.

highbrow

FALaholic #
Got one pound at gunshow 2 years ago for $12. 41gr with a 165 gr bullet was a mild load, quite accurate and functioned 100% in my .308 Saiga and my M1A.

gunsmith_tony

FALaholic #
Dammit!
I've done the "I think I'll try another powder" (or)deal. I don't want to go back to that. I don't want to be THAT PERSON again!
Oh sure...it starts innocently enough. But before you realize whats happening, you've got enough powder to leave a crater the size of a ball field! :eek:

SteveW

FALaholic #
It appears to be a bit cheaper than (say) RL15. When loading a few 1000 rounds, every saving adds up... I am going to ask my local dealer what a 'volume' deal would be on 30 lbs of both TAC and RL15, just to try and get a cost comparison. That would be 6x5lb kegs of RL15 and 4x8lb kegs of TAC. Yes, I know that is 30lb vs 32lb, but is gives a per lb volume price, if you see what I mean.

S.

Adventurer_96

FALaholic #
I love it for a few reasons. First, as mentioned, it's a ball powder which measures about as well if not better than 748, for example. Several of the service rifle shooters out here have switched to it because of how well it meters, among other things.

My M-14 had sub-inch groups at 100 yards w/a batch I loaded w/TAC which compared to my other prefered powder, 3031. It metered a lot better, though, and I still need to get a chrono to measure how consistent it is in terms of velocity to loadings. I'm very happy with the accuracy, though.

Another reason I like it has to do with something an experienced shooter told me, but I haven't verified it yet in any way. He claims that the more modern powders like the Vitavuoi (spelling?) and TAC powders are much more consistent across a wide temperature range. Out here in Utah, you can shoot in 100+ degree weather in the summer, and sub-freezing in winter, and I like the idea that I won't see differences in the performance throughout the temperature range, like you might see for example with 3031 or 4895.

Again, I haven't verified this, but that's what he told me, and he's a Distinguished Shooter who is a very knowledgable guy.

Plus, it's nice having the handle on the side of the powder container to pour it out! ;)

Brush511

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
GSF1200 said:
Why not just use surplus WC-846 for $68 a 8lb keg?
Don't mean to hijack but where can you still find WC-846 for $68/8lbs.? Bartlett has been out for months. Pat's has it for $99/8lbs. Which is about the same price as TAC or Accurate 2460. I would love to find a suitable powder in the $70/8lb. range. Is there a secret source? Help, please.

Dave

GSF1200

FALaholic #
Brush511 said:

Don't mean to hijack but where can you still find WC-846 for $68/8lbs.? Bartlett has been out for months. Pat's has it for $99/8lbs. Which is about the same price as TAC or Accurate 2460. I would love to find a suitable powder in the $70/8lb. range. Is there a secret source? Help, please.

Dave
The last I bought was 4 8lb kegs shipped free from Wideners.

Brush511

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Thanks GSF1200.

Looks like they're out too. A day late and...... I was going to buy some several months ago but bought South African 7.62 instead. The search goes on.

Dave