• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Private Message Mailbox Size

s0b3

FALaholic #
Looks like with the board upgrade, the PM mailbox size got reduced as well. Any plans to restore them to the original sizes or will there be a lot of people deleting PMs to clear out the space?

Jen

Head Baby Sitter
Staff member
FALaholic #
Looks like with the board upgrade, the PM mailbox size got reduced as well. Any plans to restore them to the original sizes or will there be a lot of people deleting PMs to clear out the space?
Bear with me, I haven't gone thru and re-configured everything because we'll be moving in another day or so.

Sig220

FALaholic #
I just took the time to get rid of old stuff and got all my boxes...sent/received/etc to less then 60 messages...from over 300 total!!

Maybe that will help down the road? LOL

Jen

Head Baby Sitter
Staff member
FALaholic #
Select the checkbox at the right of the messages you want to delete. Go to the bottom of the page at the right and look at the Selected Messages: dropdown box. Change it to delete and then click GO. It should delete the selected messages.

jimmbob

unreparated
Contributor
FALaholic #
But now that you have the option to back up your PM's, I don't have any need to save many PM's.:D
Please tell, I'm pewter illiterate pretty much. I've heard you can save pm's on the hard drive but have NO idea where to start. Can't delete them because it's the only memory I have left since my brain started constantly deleting it's own memory. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, thanks:beer:

Jen

Head Baby Sitter
Staff member
FALaholic #
At the very bottom of your PM inbox you'll see the following on the right hand side:

Download all Private Messages as:
XML | CSV | Text

This way you can download them in a format you can use - csv if you want to import into excel, text for straight text readable, etc..

jimmbob

unreparated
Contributor
FALaholic #
Thanks Jen, I'm making some progress - kinda

I was feeling like a real computer geek being able to download this stuff until I looked at what I downloaded. I downloaded it in XML, CSV and Text to see which is which. None of it is indexed or titles listed - just thousands and thousands of miles of scrolling.

I don't need to bother Jen with my pc illiteracy. I'm self taught and old which makes me an idiot when it comes to this stuff. If someone else could chime in to let me know where I'm screwing up it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance:bow:

def90

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
The Peoples' Republic of Boulder, Colorado
Thanks Jen, I'm making some progress - kinda

I was feeling like a real computer geek being able to download this stuff until I looked at what I downloaded. I downloaded it in XML, CSV and Text to see which is which. None of it is indexed or titles listed - just thousands and thousands of miles of scrolling.

I don't need to bother Jen with my pc illiteracy. I'm self taught and old which makes me an idiot when it comes to this stuff. If someone else could chime in to let me know where I'm screwing up it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance:bow:
Yes, that is how it will be downloaded, as one big text file. In the text format each message is separated by a line like this:

===========================================

Downloading your messages is just a way to backup old messages that you may want to keep for whatever reason.

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
FALaholic #
Yes you can delete PM's.

You may have already figured out that the language changed.

What we used to know as "personal messages" are now, and for no apparent reason, referred to as both "personal messages" and also "conversations" (for fucksake because we need to change verbiage just to make sure people are paying attention or some shit.

You don't delete a PM anymore.
Rather, you "leave the conversation."

Everybody hold their mouth just like this 😬, and try to follow along.

Last edited:

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
FALaholic #
Click on the little box for the Link Shitting thread.

That makes the "Selected" thing light up, and opens a dialogue box at the bottom of the page.
See the circled stuff.

delete 2.jpg

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
FALaholic #
Click on the dialogue box "Choose action" down there at the bottom, and it opens a menu of shit you can do with the Link Shitting thread.

Pick what you want to do: "Leave conversation"

Now its gonna keep working you.

Hit the blue "Go" button, and it opens ANOTHER dialogue box.

delete 3.jpg

Last edited:

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
FALaholic #
Regarding what happens to the PM thread on the other guy's end, I would guess that the thread will still show up for him in his own PM's or "conversations," or whatever trendy terminology the next millenial programmer decides needs to be added so he can say he did something "creative" instead of just fixing glitches in the code.

On the other guy's end, the link shitting message-chain probably still shows up, but with a line through it or something. So, if he wants to talk to me about link shitting again, he'll have to open a new "conversation" rather than just reply to the original link shitting message chain.

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Yes you can delete PM's.

You may have already figured out that the language changed.

What we used to know as "personal messages" are now, and for no apparent reason, referred to as both "personal messages" and also "conversations" (for fucksake because we need to change verbiage just to make sure people are paying attention or some shit.

You don't delete a PM anymore.
Rather, you "leave the conversation."

Everybody hold their mouth just like this 😬, and try to follow along.

After I saw this, I went and found the leave conversation button and figured it out, had never pressed that one before,,came back here, and saw all of the above.
Thanks for your help, and understanding, sorry to have bothered you.

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
FALaholic #
Its no bother to discuss the steps.

The process is bothersome in that there are too many steps.

If it were done right, each item would have its own unique delete button you could just click on. Hit the button and it would pop-up as: DELETE yes/no.

Click yes, and boom. Done.

This select-item, mouse-around, drill down, do it some more, and eventually get there is tedious. Oh, but it "looks cleaner."
Because I need my Link-Shitting messages to be pretty.

I'm a child of USENET. All this glamour shit and pastel colors really doesn't impress me much.
But, I'll deal with it.

Last edited:

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Its no bother to discuss the steps.

The process is somewhat bothersome in that there are too many steps.

I went through all of my education without a computer until the last stages of the PhD program, and after trying to finish that thing, what a waste of time, and learn how to work my 1st computer,,,, should have just stuck with my fancy ass Brother typewriter, with the built in correction ribbon.:)LOL
That 1st computer slowed down everything by months, vs had I just typed everything out on that old Brother.

So far, I like this new forum format, other than learning a new language, and hitting a wrong button every now and then.;)

We were all spoiled on the old forum.