• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Power Outage - Natural Causes

TenTea

Contributor
FALaholic #
Well, heard a large bang, pop, crackle this morning and lost power to the whole neighborhood.
EMP...? No!

Here is the culprit...he bridged the wrong insulators and caused a 3-phase explosion!

IMG_20220805_082313764.jpg

The cavalry arrived and are fixing us up. Good men.

IMG_20220805_083140697.jpg

:cool:

Looks like we'll have AC to combat the heat this weekend, thankfully. Supposed to be humid and in the 90s.

easttex

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I've eaten a few of those squirrels...

My dad was a troubleman for utility company for 20+ years. More than once we would drive up on a call that was close to his house and simply find a dead squirrel and blown fuse. If the squirrel wasn't mangled up - most weren't - we might have it for supper.

What usually happens is this: the transformer case is grounded. The lugs are energized and seperated from the case by ceramic insulators. Squirrels get on top of the transformer case and accidentally brush against the lugs - bypassing the insulators - and complete the circuit to ground, which electrocutes the squirrel and causes a short circuit that blows a line fuse (that big boom you hear when the lights go out). Dad shows up 20 minutes later and refuses the fuse and voila! your power is back on.

Squirrels and hackberry trees paid his house off early with all the overtime from call outs.

Tuhlmann

THAT guy
Contributor
FALaholic #
I love eating squirrels. I also love the expression on peoples faces when I share that I love eating squirrels. Skinning them….well, that’s another matter. Little rats have their skin on with nature’s equivalent to gaffer’s tape! The juice is worth the squeeze tho.

Thorack

Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Yep,

Happened at Ft Riley in the middle of a night rain storm, bright as daylight for about 3 seconds then the power went out. Found the burnt to crisp tree rat the next morning.

Thorack

Tak

FALaholic #
I love eating squirrels. I also love the expression on peoples faces when I share that I love eating squirrels. Skinning them….well, that’s another matter. Little rats have their skin on with nature’s equivalent to gaffer’s tape! The juice is worth the squeeze tho.
Funny, I can't remember where but recently I saw a guy with a t-shirt that said "Squirrel - it's not just for Breakfast anymore!"

davedude

FALaholic #
Had a "transformer of death" behind my house for years until they moved it. Always a ring of dead birds and squirrels on the ground around the pole. Got real tired of it, was waaay to frequent. Finally caught the crew sent to turn power back on and explained to them what had been going on. They took a look at the xformer and found some missing insulation.

cotter

FALaholic #
Well, maybe we have different trends here than in the fashion Mecca of central OH! 😂
Hey we're the home of Victoria's secret, we know fashion. Well, used to til Lessy was caught on pedo island too many times and they had to distract us with chicks from the west side in skimpy outfits. Squirrel! Full circle complete...

tac-40

Moderator, Armed Curmudgeon
Staff member
FALaholic #
While working a traffic collision one evening, a loud buzzing sound, night turning into day and then a big boom had me worried that I have been hit by a drunk driver. I turned around and saw a glowing red bloc fall to the ground from some nearby high tension lines and the power off in the area. Called it in to dispatch to contact the power company. Finished my wreck report and waited for the power company to arrive. Told them what happened and the went and picked up the remains of a Sea Eagle. Apparently it flew between the lines and with its 6 ft. wingspan caused the arc and overload.

Tuhlmann

THAT guy
Contributor
FALaholic #
Hey we're the home of Victoria's secret, we know fashion. Well, used to til Lessy was caught on pedo island too many times and they had to distract us with chicks from the west side in skimpy outfits. Squirrel! Full circle complete...
You mean the same VS that now pimps trannies, militant dykes, and fat chicks????

I don't know bro....I'm thinking I'll stick with MeatEater and the squirrel meat 3/4 tee for my fashion sources!

SWOHFAL

FALaholic #
I've eaten a few of those squirrels...

My dad was a troubleman for utility company for 20+ years. More than once we would drive up on a call that was close to his house and simply find a dead squirrel and blown fuse. If the squirrel wasn't mangled up - most weren't - we might have it for supper.

What usually happens is this: the transformer case is grounded. The lugs are energized and seperated from the case by ceramic insulators. Squirrels get on top of the transformer case and accidentally brush against the lugs - bypassing the insulators - and complete the circuit to ground, which electrocutes the squirrel and causes a short circuit that blows a line fuse (that big boom you hear when the lights go out). Dad shows up 20 minutes later and refuses the fuse and voila! your power is back on.

Squirrels and hackberry trees paid his house off early with all the overtime from call outs.
It was fresh and parcooked....

SWOHFAL

FALaholic #

You also have Abercrombie & Fitch and, for the fat chicks, Lane Bryant.

cotter

FALaholic #
You mean the same VS that now pimps trannies, militant dykes, and fat chicks????

I don't know bro....I'm thinking I'll stick with MeatEater and the squirrel meat 3/4 tee for my fashion sources!
As I said, squirrel! That's kinda likey spacey saying it's ok I molested a littlw boy because I'm out of the closet gay now... No!
You know you've added to the spankbank watching them back in the day though 👍

GSAD

FALaholic #
Use to have that happened all the time. Lineman would never install a guard over the stinger. Reason being he made more money on call outs.