• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Polish wz29 Ingolstadt Depot vet bringback

Warrior1354

FALaholic #
Thought I show this one off, definitely one of my favorite pieces in my collection and probably one of the very few rifles that I legitimately have good history on. Well it's a Polish wz29 carbine that has alot of it's Polish manufactured parts from the Radom factory. Some how got captured by the Germans, and was reworked at the HZaJt20 Ingolstadt depot center. They replaced the floorplate, magazine follower that is unmarked, and the bolt components. The bolt is neat being it's a Gew98m S/42 armorers bolt that was renumbered to match the rifle. The safely and gas shield do not match the rifle. But the extractor, striker, and firing pin do match. The firing pin is also cool because it's a left over Imperial era firing pin that was matched to this rifle. Now I would say that would be the end of it but it's not. I disassembled my rifles when I receive them and have always checked behind the buttplates just in case there might be veteran info or tags. Turns out this one did have info the first I have ever found in my days of collecting.

It was brought back by T/Sgt. Weldon Brudlos of the 381st Squadron of the Heavy Bombardment Group. He was a top turret gunner plus an aerial engineer on a B-17. He entered the Army in 1943 and went to England in early 1945. He wears ribbons for the European theater of operations with three stars for Ardennes, Rhineland, and central Germany. Received the good conduct air medal with three clusters and a group citation for participation in the raid of Oschersleben Germany. I will include a newspaper story that my buddy found telling more of his service history, and how his crew flew a B-17 back to England with over 37 Flak holes! Mr. Weldon was born in La Crosse, Wisconsin in 11-16-1917 and died on 07-08-1995, in La Crosse, Wisconsin. I would say that is the end of this story but there is more. This wz29 came with a Polish bayonet when it was sold to me. The bayonet fits perfect on this weapon. But after looking at the blade and frog closely. I noticed it was a German made frog dated 1937, and marked to a Luftwaffe Flak unit. So I have feeling Mr. Weldon flew missions in Germany during the Post War period, and this carbine with bayonet were taken from a Luftwaffe airfield. Won it in a game of cards or just liberated it out of a rifle rack. Who knows but still damn cool!

Mr. Weldon passed away in 1995 so this rifle could have been sold 26 years ago or a family member inherited it and finally sold it off. But the rifle never left his home state, the auction was in Wisconsin.

Attachments:

Marlin781

Contributor
FALaholic #
Awesome find! I need to get in the habit of checking under the buttplates on all my rifles too....not just the Swiss ones.

What those B17 crews went through is unreal. My Uncle was a tailgunner. His pilot got decapitated by a flak burst on a mission over the Hamburg oil refineries. The copilot was also badly wounded as well. My Uncle and the top turret gunner took turns helping the co-pilot at the controls until he passed out and the top turret gunner somehow managed to land the bomber safely back in England.

squid8286

FALaholic #
I have a WZ29 made in 1934. As far as I can tell, it is all matching. No waffenampts on it, just the Polish markings and the crest. Yours is really cool. If I am not mistaken, the '38 rifles are the rarest of all the years these were produced. I also bought about 100 rounds of boxed Polish military ammo with it, boxed 15 rounds to a box. I have searched for years for a Polish bayonet to go with it. I think the rifles with the Polish crest on them are pretty rare. I bought mine back in the late 80s for $300 if I remember correctly. I just happened across it. I knew that Radom was a Polish arsenal, and I knew that it was matching. I figured it might have fired some of the first shots of WWII at the Germans. It's my favorite milsurp weapon.

Warrior1354

FALaholic #
Honestly Squid8286 finally a true Polish Wz29 that is 100% Polish is even more rare then any cool German rework. Being it survived WWII to begin with, was never sent to the Spanish Civil war in the 30s, was never butchered for parts by the Germans, was never reworked by the Germans, survived the Cold War, bubba, etc. Truthy remarkable if you think about it. Would love to see it if you don't mind sharing though.

squid8286

FALaholic #
Honestly Squid8286 finally a true Polish Wz29 that is 100% Polish is even more rare then any cool German rework. Being it survived WWII to begin with, was never sent to the Spanish Civil war in the 30s, was never butchered for parts by the Germans, was never reworked by the Germans, survived the Cold War, bubba, etc. Truthy remarkable if you think about it. Would love to see it if you don't mind sharing though.
I will try and get some pics of it up here soon. I am not that adept at posting pics. Maybe someone can walk me through the process. I know you need to belong to a hosting site, but that's about all I know.