• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

People keep crashing into the bridge abutment near my house

okiefarmer

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
My machinery shop sits on a straight stretch of highway, not a tree in sight for miles, nothing but wheat,soybean, milo fields. EXCEPT for the 14 acre pasture and the 200 yards of shelter belt trees somewhat hiding it from highway sight. In the past 6 years, there has been no less than 8 crashes in the ditch either side of the trees in front of the shed. County rock truck layed over on my side (that was fun to mow for several years; furniture deliver truck, obviously texting went down in ditch and jumped my driveway, landed in the trees; teacher in small car claimed high winds she was fighting all down the road had her over correcting when she got by the trees, this one I can believe; they just keep on piling up. It's like the Bermuda triangle pasture.

wanneroo

FALaholic #
My machinery shop sits on a straight stretch of highway, not a tree in sight for miles, nothing but wheat,soybean, milo fields. EXCEPT for the 14 acre pasture and the 200 yards of shelter belt trees somewhat hiding it from highway sight. In the past 6 years, there has been no less than 8 crashes in the ditch either side of the trees in front of the shed. County rock truck layed over on my side (that was fun to mow for several years; furniture deliver truck, obviously texting went down in ditch and jumped my driveway, landed in the trees; teacher in small car claimed high winds she was fighting all down the road had her over correcting when she got by the trees, this one I can believe; they just keep on piling up. It's like the Bermuda triangle pasture.
Hands and feet follow the eyes. People stare at things that stand out and then drive right into them. Take a wide open huge parking lot, put one thing in the center, spray paint it blaze orange and fluorescent green and people will drive right into it one after another.

Edgartwib

FALaholic #
There is a house along a major road where I live where the backyard wall is now a 6 foot tall 3 foot wide and 50 foot long connected 'gabion cage' wall filled with softball and larger sized river rock. He did it to stop knuckledraggers from crashing into his backyard. Some city yahoo's protested it stating it was an eyesore. During the the court proceedings some other knuckledragger crashed into his new wall. The city let the dude keep his wall. It now has a vine of some sort growing thru most of it and looks really nice.

alphadog58

FALaholic #
Hands and feet follow the eyes. People stare at things that stand out and then drive right into them. Take a wide open huge parking lot, put one thing in the center, spray paint it blaze orange and fluorescent green and people will drive right into it one after another.
Many moons ago I helped teach a motorcycle safety class for experienced riders. We always stressed,” Look where you want to go.” If you are looking at the guardrails in a turn, that’s where you will end up.
Larry

gevarm96

FALaholic #
Many moons ago I helped teach a motorcycle safety class for experienced riders. We always stressed,” Look where you want to go.” If you are looking at the guardrails in a turn, that’s where you will end up.
Larry
Yup target fixation. When I started riding I drove myself right off a corner cause I was looking at the trees. Wound up going between the trees praise Jesus. And never did that again!

As for guard rails… whos been through New Mexico? Holy smokes like every bridge has been hit… whats going on down there?

V guy

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
You may not realize it , but when a motorist hits a guardrail or sign, or whatever in the Highway ROW, he is charged for it..

Ins companies now have direct access to police and Highway Dept resources, to find out why the motorist has to pay 10,000 dollars, for a crew of 5 with trucks, and machinery, to remove and replace, 50' of W or box beam rail and uprights, and cables...................... the accident might have been a mild one, or a fatal one, but if the cops come, photos are taken and the motorist/ins is billed for all damages.

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
FALaholic #
BASTARDS!

The fucking fixed it already!

Drove by there today and there's a brand new aiming point and new steel.

That's gotta be a record for this sort of repair.

Next time, I'm definitely getting the big yellow "GUARD RAIL OUT -- PLEASE HIT THE NEXT ONE" sign, and mounting it on the telephone pole.

V guy

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I knew two people back in the day.
One instituted the billing program, to get INS reimbursement for damaged highway guiderails, and that became a national fact within 2 years.
He got laidoff by the way, but the system lives.

The other came up with the EZ pass system. both NY'ers.

I also knew Col North.

Damn Small world.

the gman

FALaholic #
Yup target fixation. When I started riding I drove myself right off a corner cause I was looking at the trees. Wound up going between the trees praise Jesus. And never did that again!

As for guard rails… whos been through New Mexico? Holy smokes like every bridge has been hit… whats going on down there?
Drunk drivers mostly. No shit. Then there are truckers who can't fucking drive which is most of them these days since many 18 wheelers now have auto gearboxes and are driven by incompetent immigrants. 90% of the trucker at fault wrecks or dangerous driving calls involving trucks I attended involved drivers from the Indian subcontinent, or eastern Europe, usually with addresses out of CA. They drive like shit, and from what I have seen, all wear the now standard issue driver apparel of wife beater, basketball shorts and flip flops with a Bluetooth headset on their noggins. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad:

bill3542

FALaholic #
We a local two lane that the tri-axle coal trucks run 16 hours a day, there's one section with a 1/2 mile down hill slope and at the bottom a almost 90 degree turn that runs to the power plant.

Penndot ends up replacing the one section every 4 months, a loaded tri-axle with around 23 tons of coal really tears things up.

easttex

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I used to drive this stretch of East Starr Avenue on my way to class and back in college. Over the course of one summer, this chainlink fence got run into every 10-15 days all summer long. It was amazing; as soon as the fence was fixed, some drunk would land in it. Finally the landowner left it broken and people stopped running into it. I've never figured out why exactly because it's not in an area known for speeding and there's nothing eye-catching about a rusted chain link fence...

Screenshot_20230327_224710_Maps.jpg

wanneroo

FALaholic #
There was this track I was working at, this client came in, looked everything over and for whatever reason singled out this one corner where they wanted a tire wall at. No real need for one, lower speed area, no one had been off there in any big way, etc. They asked me what I thought, I said no need for a tire wall there, plenty of run off room for those speeds.

They insisted so a tire barrier was installed. A day later, BOOM, car smack right into the tire wall, damaged the car. Next day, another car, BOOM right through the blanking tires.

The issue being on the exit of the corner, people come out of the corner with this tire wall there, they look at it and drive right into it.

Funny how that works.

ByronF

FALaholic #
We a local two lane that the tri-axle coal trucks run 16 hours a day, there's one section with a 1/2 mile down hill slope and at the bottom a almost 90 degree turn that runs to the power plant.

Penndot ends up replacing the one section every 4 months, a loaded tri-axle with around 23 tons of coal really tears things up.
That's not Saltsburg, by chance?

jimmbob

unreparated
Contributor
FALaholic #
friend lives on a 90 corner

After the first car came into his yard he put up a row of ecology blocks, problem solved

and ya can tie the blocks together with long galvanised pins, they ain't movin much if any