• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

OT - Mouse Control

Status

Kin

FALaholic #
Hi, my mom's apartment has mice and the glue traps don't seem to work. A cat is out of the question since the apartment has a no pets rule. Short of getting a BB gun with a starlite scope, what's the best way of getting rid of those pests?

(I use to pick off cockroaches walking across the floor with a BB gun back when I was a youngster. Those where the good old days.) :D

Chief351

FALaholic #
Every time the neighbor mows his hay field we have a family of the little buggers move in. Of all the things I've tried, plain old Decon works the best. If you have any pets, though, make sure they can't get into the stuff. It's a super high strength blood thinner. We had a two year old German Shepherd that got into a pack of the stuff that was originally put behind something in the garage, and then forgotten. The vet said the poor thing hemmoraged almost his entire blood volume into his lungs.

Falcon

Contributor
FALaholic #
We had a mouse problem at work last year.The girls in the office wouldn't shut up till we did something.So the first thing was to find their entrance/exit to the area. We put coarse steel wool in the hole and then used insulating foam in a can to seal it up.They will not chew on steel wool and the foam will keep it in place.Isolate your food source,put it in plastic containers and/or the refrigerator, if you have to.
I suggest you use a combination of different types of traps.I used Victor tin cats,glue traps and snap type traps.If you don't, they will get wise to them when their comrades start disappearing after a while.
Mice are damned near blind and need walls or barriers to follow, so set the traps along these paths.
If you use glue traps, put peanut butter in the middle of them for bait and place them along the walls.Samething for the rest of the traps, the can't resist peanut butter and with no other food source, they will try and eat the PB.Set at least a dozen traps at a time,do not use poison as they will go behind the walls and die,resulting in a foul stench.Number your traps and check them every other day.Using this method we caught 22 mice in 4 weeks, without a reoccurence.HTH

C. M. Wolf

FALaholic #
Funny that you mention this today. My darned little white cat woke me up to show off his trophy, a nice fat field mouse that had gotten into the house. He eats those things faster that the cat treat 'Pounce'.
The Rottweirs weren't worth a darn when it comes to mousing. They just sat around wondering what was up with the little white rottweier with the pointy ears and long tail.

I used to set snap traps just the way Falcon describes, but the cat has completely taken over the job now. Any mouse that step foot into my house now makes the mistake of his life. ;)

The BB gun with the starlight scope sounds like more fun though. :D

Cheers, 2Bucks

Bruce

FALaholic #
Falcon has all the bases covered quite well. Especially about "foul odors" after using poison.

I live, literally, in the woods and there are tons of mice around. I never realized how many there actually were until I went three years without a cat.

The damned things were taking my house over -- in the walls, under the floors, you name it. Sometimes at night I would lay in bed and listen to them roll walnuts or hickory nuts through the walls and it drove me nuts.
In the dead of night it sounded like they were bowling, and maybe they were.

I tried all the different traps, and they worked pretty well, but I got tired of it because the supply of new mice never ended.

I broke down, got a new cat, and the problem disappeared. I lucked out because the cat was a born killer/torturer. I think even the presence of a cat around keeps mice away.

It's too bad you can't have a cat, but if not then take Falcon's advice.

Blackmore

Daddy want!
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
One more trick to add to Falcon's list. Fill the kitchen sink with water. Use a 2" or more diameter jar lid as a raft, load it up with PB and float it on the "pond". Come down in the morning, remove the raft, pull the drain plug, turn on the food disposer and say goodbye to the drowned ones!

Rule .308

FALaholic #
My aunt used to do something very similar in her tack and feed shed with a bucket of grain and a stick laid up against the side so the mice could climb up, jump in to eat the grain and that was all folks.

archy

FALaholic #
Originally posted by Kin:
<STRONG>Hi, my mom's apartment has mice and the glue traps don't seem to work. A cat is out of the question since the apartment has a no pets rule. Short of getting a BB gun with a starlite scope, what's the best way of getting rid of those pests?

(I use to pick off cockroaches walking across the floor with a BB gun back when I was a youngster. Those where the good old days.) :D</STRONG>
If neither a cat nor a dog [rat terriers are a great choice, but my killer doberman used to just play with the mousies] are possible choices, you might consider a boa constrictor or other mouse-devouring non-venomous snake. You can more likely get away with that non-shedding, non-messing critter in an aquarium than other beasties, if your mom's not too squeamish about reptiles, or on the sly if need be.

-archy-/-

XF2

FALaholic #
5 gallon plastic pail, 3/8"dowell, empty beer can, stick, gallon non-toxic anti-freeze. Put hole in top and bottom of can put dowell through, make a hole for the dowell at top of opposite sides of the pail , put dowell with can in middle through these holes, cover can with peanut butter, pour anti-freeze into pail, prop stick up from ground to top of pail by one end of the dowell.

Mouse will climb stick and jump onto can which will then spin and drop him in anti-freeze. Mouse drowns and gets "pickled" by anti-freeze, no smell. I live in the woods and catch hundreds a year this way in my garage and basement. With the non-Toxic anti-freeze you also do not have to worry about pets drinking it.

I hate meeces to pieces!! :D

Kin

FALaholic #
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. After thinking so much about mice, I decided to get a mouse gun this week. I will go to my FFL dealer and order myself a Bushmaster AR15. Those mice better start hiding now while they can. ;)

[ June 18, 2001: Message edited by: Kin ]

[ June 18, 2001: Message edited by: Kin ]

Falcon

Contributor
FALaholic #
Kin, you better lock 'n load that thing when you get it.After getting rid of the mice inside, I put a trail timer type of camera outside of our office compound, in order to get some intel on the situation, and this is what we saw...

Status